Confirmed with Link: Tortorella Fired Pt II: "The Search"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
really? are you still living in the last season? what did you see this season that tells you he was fantastic with our defense

Hm, maybe i am. He is a good defensive coach, can't say the same for the PP, but a lot of our core Dmen rose under him.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Messier will be part of the discussion. Its a major commitment. Its not a scouting job where he watches a handful of games every month or coaching a pee-wee hockey team.

This scares me. Because it just seems too likely that if Messier wants it, he's going to get it. Can anyone see Sather not giving him the job? Sather wouldn't even include Messier when he had his deadline purge.

And if Gorton is playing more of a role, where exactly is Messier's future headed?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Francesa mentioned Tippett as one of the names he has heard. Messier will be part of the discussion. Its a major commitment. Its not a scouting job where he watches a handful of games every month or coaching a pee-wee hockey team.

Out of the names being mentioned thus far, consider me on the Tippett bandwagon.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
This scares me. Because it just seems too likely that if Messier wants it, he's going to get it. Can anyone see Sather not giving him the job? Sather wouldn't even include Messier when he had his deadline purge.

And if Gorton is playing more of a role, where exactly is Messier's future headed?

Back to Edmonton, where it all started, of course ! ;)

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
Hm, maybe i am. He is a good defensive coach, can't say the same for the PP, but a lot of our core Dmen rose under him.

I dislike Sullivan...like alot per my comments on him the past few months and recent thread :laugh:

Dont take it the wrong way

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Not trading Messier for a 4th round pick in his last season is quite a bit different from him naming Messier coach.

I'm confident Sather won't do that. Much less confident about him replacing Sather as GM though.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
I like Guy, AV, and if somehow Babcock is available obviously him.

People are right, do not want Messier...Do not want to taint his legacy at all...if he struggles as a head coach it will suck

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
tippett is close to ext w phx, why do people keep bringing him up

Because hes the best option right now in the names of potential coaches -- and, more importantly, he hasnt signed an extension yet.

I guess its better to mention guys like Babcock who actually have another year on his deal? :shakehead

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Because hes the best option right now in the names of potential coaches -- and, more importantly, he hasnt signed an extension yet.

I guess its better to mention guys like Babcock who actually have another year on his deal? :shakehead

Forget guys who aren't on contract. The new craze is getting ones on them! :sarcasm:

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003

I could be wrong but I thought Brooks wrote in 2004 that Sather gave Messier a choice at the deadline. He could've traded Messier to Detroit or Messier could finish the year (and probably his career) with the Rangers.

I understand what you are saying about Messier though. I can see Sather giving Messier the job. (It would probably be a disaster)

I do think with Gorton having more of a role Messier might feel slighted but Messier might like the role he has now. A role that that Messier can probably have forever with the Rangers.

Messier might not like the idea that one day he will probably get fired and his golden goose job with the rangers will be gone forever. It's a risk for Messier to take the job too. Maybe he doesn't want it.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The Rangers need a coach that is fully committed to one type of system.

Either run a system where you heavily (but smartly) forecheck with the whole team and try and stifle the breakout, or trap the neutral zone and generate offense with a speedy counterattack.

Torts' "forecheck-with-no-D-support" system makes no sense and rarely works, especially in the playoffs.

Typical 2 minutes:

-3 Rangers forwards cycle below and on one side of the oppistion goal while the Rangers D stand outside the zone
-puck is swung (either by the opposition or by a Ranger missing the teammate behind the net) around behind the net to vacant side
-opposition winger who is near the slot easily beats Rangers cycling forwards to the puck while the D makes no attempt to pinch.
- Opposition breaks out with even or better numbers,
- Rangers D back up into the zone after not attempting to "stand up" on the blueline or in the neutral zone, (my guess is in part due to a conservative mentality and part due to little backing-checking support from forwards because they tend to be caught deep.)
- Opposition is allowed to gain the zone easily, possibly allowing an opportunity of offense off the rush
- Rangers attempt to clear/break out exclusively using the boards. The opposition blocks these attempts
-Rangers get pinned in their own zone, at best wearing out the D otherwise leading to a penalty or a goal.

Brutal.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
so wait let me get this straight guys on paper a team that has Rick Nash, Marian Gaborik, Brad Richards, Henrik Lundqvist, and a world class D among many other young forwards like Stepan, Callahan, etc is not good enough? I will be the first to admit Sather has sucked over the duration, but lately (especially this year) the team has underperformed. that falls on the team and coaches

I think I have disagreed with every post you have ever made (all 5,000+ of them)... Until this one. The talent was there.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I think I have disagreed with every post you have ever made (all 5,000+ of them)... Until this one. The talent was there.

yes the talent was there. Adding Nash to Richards and Gaborik, should have yielded far better results offensively. they were just plain offensive.

should have known once Torts started playing safe is death once he started acquiring more offensive talent... oh wait we, played the same death by safe system....

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
In addition to what you said Nik, he just couldn't adjust a style once we had more offense players. That was a big part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad