Player Discussion Torrey Mitchell

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
where did I say that ? ? ?

show me...

Are you taking us for idiots or what?

Scrubadam suggested an idea , about Torrey Mitchell being our 3rd line center!

Since that suggestion , you're constantly trying to prove that TM is not more than a 4th liner !

And you're asking why did Scrubadam got the impression you wouldn't like TM as our 3rd C?

If you need proofs , just reread yourself.

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Are you taking us for idiots or what?

Scrubadam suggested an idea , about Torrey Mitchell being our 3rd line center!

Since that suggestion , you're constantly trying to prove that TM is not more than a 4th liner !

And you're asking why did Scrubadam got the impression you wouldn't like TM as our 3rd C?

If you need proofs , just reread yourself.

had you followed the conversation you'd know by now that all I did was is showing the two players he tried to compare (Eller vs a possible new 3rd line C in Mitchell), and how easy/hard it is to score 15 goals in that league.

at no point in this thread or another I suggested Mitchell is a bad player, not once. Never ever suggested not to use him in another role than 4th line C.

I mean, you too think it's EASY to score 15 goals a year ????
I too think it would be super easy to reach the annual 25 / 30 pts Eller was giving us ??

and lemme guess, you also believe it would be easy to do so even when given a defensive role on the team ???

If your awnser to all that is YES, then don't blame me for your lack of perspective.

If your awnser is NO, Apologies accepted then.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
had you followed the conversation you'd know by now that all I did was is showing the two players he tried to compare (Eller vs a possible new 3rd line C in Mitchell), and how easy/hard it is to score 15 goals in that league.

at no point in this thread or another I suggested Mitchell is a bad player, not once. Never ever suggested not to use him in another role than 4th line C.

I mean, you too think it's EASY to score 15 goals a year ????
I too think it would be super easy to reach the annual 25 / 30 pts Eller was giving us ??

and lemme guess, you also believe it would be easy to do so even when given a defensive role on the team ???

If your awnser to all that is YES, then don't blame me for your lack of perspective.

If your awnser is NO, Apologies accepted then.

You asked him to show you where you said TM was a 4th liner, right?

I never said you said TM was a bad player or something.

My point was that you think TM is a 4th liner and he is not suitable to be our 3rd center , right?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You asked him to show you where you said TM was a 4th liner, right?

I never said you said TM was a bad player or something.

My point was that you think TM is a 4th liner and he is not suitable to be our 3rd center , right?

wrong again.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Ok you guys win Eller is better than Mitchell.

Now back to the topic at hand. Mitchell on the 3rd line. I agree that health is a concern. He might not be a long term solution either. But I think to start the season he is the best option. More proven than Dano Hudon McCarron etc.. better face offs defense and maybe even offense than DD.

He had a career hear for goals last year IMHO he earned the trust of the coach and the opportunity.

This also puts DD in the press box which is what most want anyways so it's a win win

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia

Now back to the topic at hand. Mitchell on the 3rd line. I agree that health is a concern. He might not be a long term solution either. But I think to start the season he is the best option. More proven than Dano Hudon McCarron etc.. better face offs defense and maybe even offense than DD.

He had a career hear for goals last year IMHO he earned the trust of the coach and the opportunity.

This also puts DD in the press box which is what most want anyways so it's a win win

He had a hot streak of goals in a short span. I can't stand DD and wanted him off this team for years but Mitchell is not better offensively than DD. Better fit for the 3rd line maybe, and a hell of a lot better two way game.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

It's not about winning/losing an argument.

It's about FACTS

Eller scored less than 10 goals only twice in his career
1. rookie season
2. 48 games shortened season (last lockout).

Mitchell scored 10+ goals twice in his whole career.

there's roughly 160 players in the whole league, defensemen included, who score 15+ goals on a given year, wich means about 70% of the players in this league do not score 15 goals per season.

Now you may think Eller wasnt all that good or had a bad season last year, will not even care debating that, but on a "bad year" he still outproduce Mitchell career year. so NO you cannot just plug a 4th liner on the 3rd line and say he'll increase his goalscoring by 50% cause it's not that difficult... IT IS difficult, vast majority of the players in this league cannot do it.

look at the last decade (last 15 years even if you want) and while looking at all the names, name the 3rd liners who you can say, this guy, every single year we can count on to get 12+ goals ans 25+ points... look at the list of all players, you cannot name many...

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Mitchell on the 3rd line. I agree that health is a concern. He might not be a long term solution either. But I think to start the season he is the best option. More proven than Dano Hudon McCarron etc.. better face offs defense and maybe even offense than DD.

Err...right...Mitchell isn't as good as Eller offensively...and his career high of 23pts is somehow supposed to show he's better than crappy DD offensively? Mitchell has also had a career year in FO% but beyond last year (which could just be a blip), DD has better FO%... Defense, yes, Mitchell is better, I'll give you that.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Mitchell is an excellent bottom sixer, but let's keep him on the fourth line please :)

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I think I have united the Eller and DD defenders LOL. All it took was to suggest Mitchell play on the 3rd line. If only I could do the same with the anti/pro PK trade crowd :naughty::naughty::naughty:.

Seems like Mitchell as 3C isn't a popular choice on here but I still maintain its something MT should try. I hope we get to see it this year but like most are saying I have a feeling he will end up being the 4th C.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Seems like Mitchell as 3C isn't a popular choice on here but I still maintain its something MT should try. I hope we get to see it this year but like most are saying I have a feeling he will end up being the 4th C.

Mitchell has the ability to play third line hockey but is better suited to be a fourth line player.

The mark of a good team is having guys in roles they excel in and not roles where they are overwhelmed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I'm not an Eller fan but I would say he's better then Mitchell. I do think he could fill in on the 3rd line if need be, and the problem is we don't really have a good solution at this time since we are stuck with DD and I would be shocked if he spent much of the year in the press box making 3.5M since he can produce offense and we are likely going to need it. They could look to Shaw but i've heard he's much better off on the wing then center so not sure I see them doing that. There's McCarron but not sure he's ready and I was hoping they would let him develop his offensive game in the AHL more. There's DLR but until he shows he can produce more he's a 4th liner imo and like McCarron I had hoped he would get time in the AHL to work on the offense.

There's no way imo that Mitchell is better then DD on offense, so for now I would think they will just need to find 2 wingers that can put the puck in the net and create space while covering for DD's weak defensive game. I know that the GM said Danault could be the guy on the 3rd line but like others I listed above, until he shows more offense I'm not sure he's the best choice either. I think we are stuck with DD for now, just really hope they find a way to move him at some point so that they don't re-sign him.

Mitchell has the ability to play third line hockey but is better suited to be a fourth line player.

The mark of a good team is having guys in roles they excel in and not roles where they are overwhelmed.

agreed 100%, it's part of the Habs main problems the last few years, having to put guys in roles that they aren't really suited for. Emelin should be a bottom pairing D but since we don't have someone to jump in and consistently play well there, he's been forced to play a role above what he should. The same can be said at center for years since we haven't been able to draft and develop a top line center. Now that we finally have Galchenyuk in the system, that changes things.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I'm not an Eller fan but I would say he's better then Mitchell. I do think he could fill in on the 3rd line if need be, and the problem is we don't really have a good solution at this time since we are stuck with DD and I would be shocked if he spent much of the year in the press box making 3.5M since he can produce offense and we are likely going to need it. They could look to Shaw but i've heard he's much better off on the wing then center so not sure I see them doing that. There's McCarron but not sure he's ready and I was hoping they would let him develop his offensive game in the AHL more. There's DLR but until he shows he can produce more he's a 4th liner imo and like McCarron I had hoped he would get time in the AHL to work on the offense.

I still think out of all those suggestions Mitchell is a better option. Shaw should be in the top6. The young guys IMHO haven't proven enough at the NHL yet. DD is DD. Mitchell had a career year last year with 11 goals. If with 3 or 4 more minutes a game he can add an extra 2 or 3 goals its not the best 3C but its not the worst either. And also this could only be temporary untill the younger players are ready to step up or someone else comes in(Shipy??). Eventually I think McCarron or Hudon can take the 3C spot.

There's no way imo that Mitchell is better then DD on offense, so for now I would think they will just need to find 2 wingers that can put the puck in the net and create space while covering for DD's weak defensive game. I know that the GM said Danault could be the guy on the 3rd line but like others I listed above, until he shows more offense I'm not sure he's the best choice either. I think we are stuck with DD for now, just really hope they find a way to move him at some point so that they don't re-sign him.

Overall DD is a better offensive player, but he has been on the decline. He also is prone to go into big scoring droughts and when that happens DD is pretty useless. At least with Mitchell we can move him to the 4th line or the wing. Also if DD is the lineup at some point he will get misplayed on the top lines. So overall Mitchell isn't better offensively but for the team I think he would be better offensively due to addition by subtraction.

agreed 100%, it's part of the Habs main problems the last few years, having to put guys in roles that they aren't really suited for. Emelin should be a bottom pairing D but since we don't have someone to jump in and consistently play well there, he's been forced to play a role above what he should. The same can be said at center for years since we haven't been able to draft and develop a top line center. Now that we finally have Galchenyuk in the system, that changes things.

Well I don't think Mitchell is the ideal or permanent 3C, but I think to start the season he makes the most sense. It gets rid of DD, he has a bit of offense, NHL vet, and allows the team to make a better 4th line. This team will need a big 4th line to crash and bang IMHO and we can do JDLR/Dano/McCarron/Farham/Matteau as a 4th line with Mitchell/Byron and Ghetto/Carr as the 3rd. I think thats more balance then putting flynn/byron/mitchell on the 4th and Carr/DD/Ghetto as the 3rd line.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I still think out of all those suggestions Mitchell is a better option. Shaw should be in the top6. The young guys IMHO haven't proven enough at the NHL yet. DD is DD. Mitchell had a career year last year with 11 goals. If with 3 or 4 more minutes a game he can add an extra 2 or 3 goals its not the best 3C but its not the worst either. And also this could only be temporary untill the younger players are ready to step up or someone else comes in(Shipy??). Eventually I think McCarron or Hudon can take the 3C spot.

Overall DD is a better offensive player, but he has been on the decline. He also is prone to go into big scoring droughts and when that happens DD is pretty useless. At least with Mitchell we can move him to the 4th line or the wing. Also if DD is the lineup at some point he will get misplayed on the top lines. So overall Mitchell isn't better offensively but for the team I think he would be better offensively due to addition by subtraction.

Well I don't think Mitchell is the ideal or permanent 3C, but I think to start the season he makes the most sense. It gets rid of DD, he has a bit of offense, NHL vet, and allows the team to make a better 4th line. This team will need a big 4th line to crash and bang IMHO and we can do JDLR/Dano/McCarron/Farham/Matteau as a 4th line with Mitchell/Byron and Ghetto/Carr as the 3rd. I think thats more balance then putting flynn/byron/mitchell on the 4th and Carr/DD/Ghetto as the 3rd line.

I don't think Shaw has to be in the top 6. Hudon should be on the LW, not center imo, he spent most of last year at LW.

I don't see Mitchell as an upgrade on DD, he may get around the same goals but DD is a playmaker and overall would bring more offense then Mitchell imo. It's a tough spot to be in since DD isn't suited for the 3rd line but neither is Mitchell imo. I would be all for not having to watch DD but for now I think he stays unless the Habs are willing to pay someone to take his contract.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Mitchell surprises me sometimes. That one timer against the coyotes looked like it came off the stick of a 30 goal scorer.

He's off to a good start much like last season before the injuries started to mount.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Mitchell surprises me sometimes. That one timer against the coyotes looked like it came off the stick of a 30 goal scorer.

He's off to a good start much like last season before the injuries started to mount.

Probably the best fourth line centre we've had in a while.

Great defensively, but not a black hole offensively like Malhotra and other guys we've had in recent years.

Also, he's not afraid to get his nose dirty and even went after White and got in his face last game after the hit on Flynn.

Excellent trade getting him for next to nothing, and he's well worth every penny and more on his deal.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Good trade and sigining by MB to bring in local boy Mitchel.

I still think he could be an adequate 3rd liner, but on the 4th line he is a real luxury.

Lets hope he can stay healthy all season.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca

He's consistently outpaced what a 4th line center should be putting up, all while being sound defensively and winning faceoffs. He's a hometown boy that takes pride in playing for his legendary hometown team, with little media attention to this fact. Great trade, great signing.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Good trade and sigining by MB to bring in local boy Mitchel.

I still think he could be an adequate 3rd liner, but on the 4th line he is a real luxury.

Lets hope he can stay healthy all season.

There's not really a 3rd and 4th line on this team, they pretty much all have the same ice-time.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
There's not really a 3rd and 4th line on this team, they pretty much all have the same ice-time.

Recipe for a successful team right there.

4 lines that are good defensively , can contribute offensively and skate as crazy , add 3 pairings of D that can be physical and can get the puck out of their zone !

God in the nets!

This team is good , really good !

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Mitchell is better than Eller. If Mitchell played 15 mons a game he would be a 30 point guy and actually wins draws

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad