Confirmed with Link: Toropchenko extended

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Springfield playing the same system as the Blues is helping the prospects make good impressions and giving them confidence they can make it. Hard to conclude this means Kostin is more available but it certainly doesn't make him less available.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't know if I'd read into what this means for other players like Kostin's availability, but it's definitely a move along with Brown and Bort to get some certainty on how much the depth next season will cost. Could easily see Toro being a full-time 4th liner or 13th/14th next season.

Kostin should be available for the right LHD target regardless of this signing.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
I don't know if I'd read into what this means for other players like Kostin's availability, but it's definitely a move along with Brown and Bort to get some certainty on how much the depth next season will cost. Could easily see Toro being a full-time 4th liner or 13th/14th next season.

Kostin should be available for the right LHD target regardless of this signing.
Kostin is an RFA next year and I would assume he will wind up making 150K if not 250K more than Torop just got. Every dollar to the cap counts...

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What you guys think of should Toro get more ice time? I'm feeling it he has room in his offensive game. Really like his skating and forecheck. Impressive how fast he is such a long forward.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
What you guys think of should Toro get more ice time? I'm feeling it he has room in his offensive game. Really like his skating and forecheck. Impressive how fast he is such a long forward.

Whose minutes does he take?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
No. He has 2 career points.

I know this board loves to gush over him but he’s no more than a 4th liner until he proves otherwise. He’s been fine but I don’t think he’s been as impressive as people make him out to be.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

I know this board loves to gush over him but he’s no more than a 4th liner until he proves otherwise. He’s been fine but I don’t think he’s been as impressive as people make him out to be.
Agreed. He’s a fine 4th liner with minimal offensive upside. Very similar to MacEachern, IMO, but more physical. And there’s nothing wrong with that. We need a few of these types of players.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Who are the health 4th line? Toropchenko is one of those guys.

Too bad Kostin didn't fit in there too, we could have had 5 Russians going.
Walker - Bozak - Toropchenko is my ideal 4th line when healthy.

As far as more minutes, Toropchenko belongs on the 4th line for now. Maybe he can grow into a 3rd line roll with time, but he's pretty clearly not ready yet IMO.

Reactions: BlueMed and jura

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL

As far as more minutes, Toropchenko belongs on the 4th line for now. Maybe he can grow into a 3rd line roll with time, but he's pretty clearly not ready yet IMO.

I completely agree about your ideal 4th line with those the. Bozak's experience paired with two younger high energy guys. Reminds me of Steen being on the 4th line on the cup run.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

Yeah, I kind of agree with this.

I've been gushing over him, but he's not creative and he doesn't have any offensive prowess whatsoever. What he does have, however, is hockey IQ, speed, size and tenacity. Luckily, he can combine these things by driving to the net, unlike Kostin.

He's doing what he's been told do; force his way to the net. I don't think any of us had him any higher than a 4th-liner, even me.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

Zackly! There's no need to force him into a larger role. He's fine with Schenn and barbie, but he's not driving the play with those two. IMO, his absolute upside is middle-6, sheltered fill-in, which he has admirably done already in limited opportunities.

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, I kind of agree with this.

I've been gushing over him, but he's not creative and he doesn't have any offensive prowess whatsoever. What he does have, however, is hockey IQ, speed, size and tenacity. Luckily, he can combine these things by driving to the net, unlike Kostin.

He's doing what he's been told do; force his way to the net. I don't think any of us had him any higher than a 4th-liner, even me.

The bold/underline above is why I have confidence that he can become a top-notch PKer for us.

GreatDayforHockey

Jul 21, 2022
I'm quite impressed with how he is developing! Seems he has seized the opportunity with vets moved out. So big, still young, he hustles and skates well. I know he won't be Tage Thompson but I think he can be a solid middle six player.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’m happy to be wrong about him. For a while there it looked like he would struggle to surpass 10 points and that we may have traded away the wrong Russian 4th liner, but he has really come on strong. Already 10 goals and 20 points, and he missed some games too.

Glad the coaching staff saw something in him. And Pitlick and Walker are playing well too… they’re making for a pretty good unit and we are looking kinda deep again up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad