OT: Toronto Wolfpack to enter League One next season (Rugby, European league)

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

Entering in tier 3 of the European relegation Rugby league. Will be the first Atlantic franchise. Pretty cool stuff and opens up the potential talks again for possible Euro divisions in hockey or other sports if this is successful.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Entering in tier 3 of the European relegation Rugby league. Will be the first Atlantic franchise. Pretty cool stuff and opens up the potential for possible Euro divisions in hockey or other sports.

How are they related?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If its determined that its feasible to run one sports league cross seas than it opens up the conversations of others. Whether it happens or not is a different question.

Only league I imagine it would be feasible is the NFL.

Raymondo316

Nov 11, 2007
Maidstone England
The team in gonna be based in the UK, with mostly English players & only travel to Toronto for the ''home'' games

I give it a couple of years before it fails

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/27/toronto-wolfpack-rugby-league-one-2017-brian-noble

The Guardian revealed last year that talks were taking place about the RFL admitting a side from across the Atlantic, and the Wolfpack will fund the expenses of the other 15 League One sides, 12 of which are part-time, when they travel to Toronto.

Hope they have some deep pockets because I can't see this business model turning a profit any time soon.

No kidding. That had to be one of the greatest sell jobs of all time.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
One problem, I think, is that this is Rugby League as opposed to Rugby Union. For those unfamiliar with the game, those are two related but significantly different sports with quite different rules. A fair number of Canadians have played the Union game at the school or club level. Far fewer have played League and there is not large scale immigration from areas where League is popular, eg the north of England. That may be a real hurdle to overcome.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
This is a disaster waiting to happen. Who wants to play for a team that has to travel across the Atlantic Ocean for half their games? And NHLers think the Western Conference has a tough travel schedule.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
As a Brit, I find it interesting they're choosing the League option. Rugby Union is much more popular in Europe. There's a reasonably good League fanbase in Northern England, but doesn't seem like a profitable, or even break even venture imo.

Best of luck to them though and i'll follow their fortunes.

Last edited:

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
At least wolfpack is a cool name and we can buy some merch

This is the logo:

imagesource.php

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
For what it's worth, the National Rugby team has always drawn very well at BMO Field. This will be interesting.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Well it's peaked my interest that's for sure. Played Rugby in highschool and loved it. Granted, it may not be the same rules.

Curious, what are the main differences between League and Union rugby?

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Well it's peaked my interest that's for sure. Played Rugby in highschool and loved it. Granted, it may not be the same rules.

Curious, what are the main differences between League and Union rugby?

One of the main differences is, in Union (what I imagine you played in school, that's what most schools teach the basics of) is that you can be tackled and go again and again (providing you leave the ball properly) and in League you can only get tackled a certain amount of times before you have to turn the play over to the opposition. There's a few subtle differences. I personally prefer Union for the simple fact that it's pretty much what's only on tv here, (although that has changed in recent years) so I got attached to teams... etc in Union. Plus there's great competitions like the 6 Nations and World Cup to support England in. If you go to Australia they're all nuts about League, and they're damn good at it. (to be honest, it's mostly because they, and the islanders, love hurting people).

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Pretty awesome news - you know the NHL and NFL will be watching this like Hawks.

I don't think it would be good for the NHL to expand to Europe. I just don't see how that's feasible. Would you be OK with Leafs games starting at 1PM on a weekday for a week when they are playing the Euro teams on the road? I would assume if that expansion happens they would create more than one European team. The idea of a European expansion for the NHL does not sound good to me at all. If a European team is playing in the Stanley Cup Final, would we want mid afternoon start times on weekdays? I hope it never happens.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
NFL makes some sense, I don't see how it makes any sense for the NHL.

Hockey's a popular sport - so there's already local support - and there is the potential to poach talent from SHL/KHL for new teams.

It's several hundred million new potential consumers for the league - it's a dream come true.

Edit:
Clarification

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Hockey's a popular sport - so there's already local support - and there is the potential to poach talent from SHL/KHL for new teams.

It's several hundred new potential consumers for the league - it's a dream come true.

They already have established leagues and playing more 3/4 times a week would be really tough travel. Start times would be a mess, say London is playing LA, what time does the game start?

NFL with one game a week gives Teams the opportunity to rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad