Series Talk: Toronto vs Boston - Round #1 - PGDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Of course they can win but we have to do the things we struggled at this year better.
Just like the Bruins have to do the things they struggled at this year better.
Just like every single team in the playoffs, even to some extent Tampa, have to do the things they struggled at this year better.

Most times, if you're a fan, you don't believe in everybody except your own team.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It's weird. The Leafs are a better team this year heading into the series against Boston, yet I'm not as optimistic as I was with last year's series.

I fully expect Matthews to be better, Tavares and Muzzin weren't on the team last year, and the Leafs are another year hardened. And even though Boston looked like they were going to fall off a cliff earlier this season, they still are a scary team to contend with.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It's weird. The Leafs are a better team this year heading into the series against Boston, yet I'm not as optimistic as I was with last year's series.

I fully expect Matthews to be better, Tavares and Muzzin weren't on the team last year, and the Leafs are another year hardened. And even though Boston looked like they were going to fall off a cliff earlier this season, they still are a scary team to contend with.
Better players, but not necessarily a better team

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I know the feeling. Must win series though. The media will start destroying these guys if they lose to Boston. The safe environment will be gone and with Matthews and Nylanders large contracts... Sights will be on them if they take even a second off. Marner likely to follow suit.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
The abundance of talent made this happen. That and Freddy
OK so Leafs need to play shinny

Boston is going to try to run the Leafs into the boards, clog the middle, skate at and not with the Leafs, alternate between 5 hole and top of shoulder on Freddy and for all of this Leafs need to be ready

The three ingredients of the Leafs are speed, speed and speed. they need to get going- short passes out of the zone and skate, they need to practice breakout plays. They need to generate breakaways and 2 on 1's, as cycling game not really their thing when Boston is just going to crosscheck them and take the puck. Maybe put a flack-jacket on our young stars, given that Boston will try to cause them injury? As I see it, that's the skinny

But the Leafs need to do their skill thing- they are not a grinding team, they are a 4 line Ultra Light Pale Imitation Soviet Red Army Team meets Harlem Globetrotters on Ice kind of team and the Leafs need to be emotionally calm and steady.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I can give one example that stuck with me all year. It’s not isolated either, there several examples that we’ve watched all year.

I can’t remember the team they were playing, I want to say Minny, but other than the fact it wasn’t a power house, it really doesn’t matter. 1st period 0-0 score. The Leafs dump the puck deep and go for a line change with only Brown pursuing the puck. Perfect. However, as he chases the d that’s trying to get behind the net, brown has the perfect opportunity to rub out the puck carrier right at the left post and potentially stealing the puck. Instead Brown decided to try a fly by stick check, circled the net and then proceeded to change. Now the bad part. The D carrying the puck sent an outlet pass right past Brown to the Leafs blue line catching the leafs somewhat flat footed, resulting in a penalty to Hyman. I thought at the time, if they play like that against Boston, the Bruins likely go up 1-0 or at least get the opportunity because of a lazy soft play. Why pursue the puck if you have no intentions of making a play?
He didn’t have to kill the guy, although that’s fine too, but at least engage and prevent him from making a play until your teammates help you out.

They cannot play like that and expect to win in the playoffs. At least we hope there is still integrity in the game and most teams will be engaged
If I actually cared, I could go find 20 examples of the same thing for every single team in the league. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes players make the wrong play. That's hockey. That's life. One example proves nothing.

I also don't actually know if Brown made the wrong play there, without seeing. There are multiple reasons you might pursue a puck carrier if you aren't going to crush him along the boards. Push him further into the zone to let your team change, cut off angles, be there in case the player makes a mistake or fumbles, etc. before you go off yourself. I don't really want Brown engaging physically and putting himself behind the play when he's at the end of a shift and tired. If the defensemen moved the puck up past Brown, that means Leafs have a fresh change and numbers back, so how is that the wrong move or Brown's fault?

I could also go find examples with the Leafs where they did exact same thing, and the defensemen fumbled and gave up the puck, or the Leaf player got the stick in there and got a goal, or a chance, or drew a penalty.

Maybe if random nothing plays from months ago are getting stuck in your head, then you're focusing too much on the wrong things.

People on this site have a weird obsession with hitting. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Hitting isn't always the right move.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How anybody can say this is a terrible season is beyond me. Every single team has inconsistencies throughout the year, and has some sloppy games. Something tells me you only watch the Leafs, and so you have no comparison and don't really understand what it means to be a good hockey team. You don't really understand how much good hockey teams still struggle at times.

I guess everybody except for Tampa should just drop out of the playoffs and give up, because they've all gone through similar things if not worse.

We've had countless positives and players taking steps and having big years. We replaced our departing players very well. Tavares has had a huge year and proven himself worth the signing. We've added some rookies to the team that have impressed more than anyone expected. Our prospects are looking promising and having good years. We are the 7th best team in the league, and have hovered around the top-5 all year, despite a lot more injuries and roadblocks than previous years. 5 points off the Franchise record. We were all but guaranteed a playoff position in like January. We do well in most advanced statistics.

If this is the result of "'just' an abundance of talent", then clearly an abundance of talent can do quite a lot, and I'm not sure why you're writing them off.

I really don't know what you want other than perfection, which does not exist in hockey.

I watch hockey almost every night. I stopped watching entire leafs games in January because their games were incredibly boring compared to other games.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Nothing matters to true blue Leaf fans but getting our Cup back. Very few care about names on back of sweater. And the players we idolize are all guys who played game on edge to win.
If the only enjoyment and positive you can get from hockey is when your team wins the Stanley Cup, then you will have a very miserable existence as a hockey fan.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If I actually cared, I could go find 20 examples of the same thing for every single team in the league. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes players make the wrong play. That's hockey. That's life. One example proves nothing.

I also don't actually know if Brown made the wrong play there, without seeing. There are multiple reasons you might pursue a puck carrier if you aren't going to crush him along the boards. Push him further into the zone to let your team change, cut off angles, be there in case the player makes a mistake or fumbles, etc. before you go off yourself. I don't really want Brown engaging physically and putting himself behind the play when he's at the end of a shift and tired. If the defensemen moved the puck up past Brown, that means Leafs have a fresh change and numbers back, so how is that the wrong move or Brown's fault?

I could also go find examples with the Leafs where they did exact same thing, and the defensemen fumbled and gave up the puck, or the Leaf player got the stick in there and got a goal, or a chance, or drew a penalty.

Maybe if random nothing plays from months ago are getting stuck in your head, then you're focusing too much on the wrong things.

People on this site have a weird obsession with hitting. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Hitting isn't always the right move.

He did none of that. The easiest play would have to rub him out not crush just play the man.
It’s not random. It was a major discussion all season and came to a head in the “stick check” conversation on HNIC. It’s pretty much their DNA.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Nothing matters to true blue Leaf fans but getting our Cup back. Very few care about names on back of sweater. And the players we idolize are all guys who played game on edge to win.
I highly doubt "very few" true leaf fans care about what these players have accomplished so far whether they've won a cup yet or not.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don't care at all about who the names are but when they do what Clark did or Dougie, naturally I love them. They were winners that just didn't have the overall team to get it done.
Must be great to be labelled a winner without having to do anything, and have fans ignore all of your stupid, lazy, sloppy, selfish plays, all because those fans didn't have the same unrealistic expectations that they do now.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Think these should be interesting:

I've been talking about that exact weakness in the Bruins game before.

WHAT?

Main boards have been telling us that Boston D was way too awesome for us and that their bottom D would be out best shut down defense and would be top 4 for us.

I feel so...
misinformed by the main board threads

Almost every assessment from a non-leaf fan has been
FORWARDS: Boston=Toronto
DEFENSE: Boston >>>> Toronto
GOALIES: Boston >> Toronto

IN CONCLUSION: Boston will roll over Toronto and Babcock will be fired.
AlSO: People hate the Leafs and cant wait to see us lose in 4 or melt down in game 7

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
"
I disagree. It will be upsetting, but it would only make them come back hungrier next year. I'm pretty sure Kadri will be the only one left from the 1st one after this year, and playoff reality is that you play the same teams every year now, so I'm not sure why losing to the same team twice when both times they were higher in the standings is reason to go off the deep end.

The team is young, and they unfortunately have to go up against the 3rd best team in the league in the 1st round. They have a chance to move on, but context is important.

Nice post. It would be very painful to lose to Boston again but it doesn't change the fact that we're a very good team with a bright future. I'll try to remember this if I happen to be standing close to a ledge at some point in the next two weeks. :)

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Washington clearly were so damaged and broken from losing to Pittsburgh so many times in a decade that they rolled over and quit hock - Oh wait, no, they ran through them on their way to the Stanley Cup, in their least likely year.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If the only enjoyment and positive you can get from hockey is when your team wins the Stanley Cup, then you will have a very miserable existence as a hockey fan.
No once I stopped playing I go to as many hockey games as I can. My kids games first, Leafs second, Marlies third, Jets fourth, family kids games next and then a few junior games and a Tampa and Florida game when I can. Hockey is a religion in my family. But if Leafs don't win Cup I lose a lot of interest in the NHL. When I do watch NHL playoff games on TV after Leafs out it is strictly to watch coaching game strategy not as a fan who cares one way or the other. Hockey is great. And always will be great.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
WHAT?

Main boards have been telling us that Boston D was way too awesome for us and that their bottom D would be out best shut down defense and would be top 4 for us.

I feel so...
misinformed by the main board threads

Almost every assessment from a non-leaf fan has been
FORWARDS: Boston=Toronto
DEFENSE: Boston >>>> Toronto
GOALIES: Boston >> Toronto

IN CONCLUSION: Boston will roll over Toronto and Babcock will be fired.
AlSO: People hate the Leafs and cant wait to see us lose in 4 or melt down in game 7
We will see soon enough. To me:
FORWARDS: Leafs >>Bruins
DEFENSE: Bruins >>>>>Leafs
GOALIE: Leafs = Bruins (but probably pushing it hear for Freddy based on last year)

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Interesting post, small sample sizes are often misleading indeed.

I have also seen cases whereby the xGF% of a player is significantly different than their actually GF% at ES over an entire season. I probably need to read up more about expected goals as over a large enough sample size the idea would be for GF% and xGF% to be equal

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Must be great to be labelled a winner without having to do anything, and have fans ignore all of your stupid, lazy, sloppy, selfish plays, all because those fans didn't have the same unrealistic expectations that they do now.

OMG. One team was spitting blood and teeth, punishing themselves and their opponents all year long and got screwed by a ref. This team is busy trying to be lazy with stretch passes and is busy stick checking(lol) and doing flyby passes on plays. Almost going out of their way to not even bump someone off the puck.

How about this team wake up and do like the JT line, you know, skate and make short passes, nice hockey plays to have a net positive influence on the game.

They must win this series, if that's pressure now, you just wait and see what pressure our media and fans have for them next season. It will make this seem like a joke.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If everyone plays to their potential, I give us the edge in foward depth, I give Boston a slight edge on the blueline, and I give Boston a slight edge in goal only because they have Halak ready to step in if necessary.

If we can get 3 lines going strong, we can win the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad