OT: Toronto Remembers

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
My brother and I were talking about this the other day. The question was: what would the Leafs have looked like if Burke had never made the Kessel deal? Say Boston had been able to re-sign Kessel, or traded him elsewhere.

Would Burke have used those draft assets to try for another player? Or would he had held on to them in favour of a slower rebuild process.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Sweden's Wallin takes chance with Leafs | The Star

"
I'm 29-years-old, so it's my last chance," Wallin told Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet. "I would probably regret it if I didn't take the chance."
Wallin, a strong two-way player, was drafted by Phoenix in the sixth round (160th overall) in 1998. He was eventually traded to Minnesota and played 19 games for the Wild between 2002 and 2004, scoring six goals and adding four assists. When he was buried in the minors, he returned to Europe and was huge part of Farjestad's recently completed championship season.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Revisiting the Gretzky hattrick in Game 7, 1993, the closest the Leafs came to playing for the cup in my lifetime, it was almost sickening to rewatch the those three goals.

. . . 1st one, I'm sure almost no one remembers, but it was actually our best player Gilmour who gave away the puck to Kurri on the pp, Kurri let himself get rubbed out after passing the puck perfectly (eliminating the 2nd D man) and on a 2 on 1, McSorely passed back and Gretz took it off his skate and didn't miss despite the sharp angle.
Alright, chalk one up to bad luck / bad giveaway.

2nd one, a harmless 3 on 3 rush turns into a brutal Manderville poke check/skate by on Gretz, and of course he buries it low from the slot, Ugh.

Then the third was . . .just, worse than a knife in the back.
After the Leafs had been pressing, comeback was coming with 4 minutes left, Gretzky on a LONE MAN RUSH is played well defensively by Todd Gill, steered around the net, and he oh-so casually with one hand expertly deflects it off Dave Ellet's skate into the corner of the net.

Very telling is that Joe Bowen calls it as "and as Gretzky attempts to centre it to nobody, it goes off Ellet's foot and in" . . . that should be the clue right there, Joe. Gretzky never centres to nobody, crimminy.

Anyways, thanks for making me go through that pain again, haven't relived that in a couple of years. But my absolute DREAM as a LEAFS FAN, is to be able to say - in 1, 5, 10, 20 years, doesn't matter - "I don't even remember that Gretzky hattty in game 7, man".
Because you know what that means.

We'll have either won a cup, or, I'll have Alzheimers.

I was in attendance. After such a long a joyous ride, it was as if someone punched me in the stomach. And then stomped on my face for good measure.

Reactions: slozo

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I was in attendance. After such a long a joyous ride, it was as if someone punched me in the stomach. And then stomped on my face for good measure.

Sorry to hear.
Would have been worse to be there, my goodness.

I was watching with 7 or 8 other friends and girlfriends, and at least we could just get hammered afterward and change the subject...the long walk back to the subway/car postgame must have been soul-crushing.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Got watching this clip a bit... man, I forgot how entertaining Hockey was 20 years ago... I would have been 7 during this game, :laugh: The skating and apce does't lok worlds different than it is now to be honest....

Reactions: Eric bungay

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
My brother and I were talking about this the other day. The question was: what would the Leafs have looked like if Burke had never made the Kessel deal? Say Boston had been able to re-sign Kessel, or traded him elsewhere.

Would Burke have used those draft assets to try for another player? Or would he had held on to them in favour of a slower rebuild process.
"The fans can't handle a rebuild". I'm paraphrasing but Burke said something to the effect. No doubt in my mind he makes a splash if he doesn't get Kessel. Just another GM in a long line of em who couldnt wait to move picks and prospects.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I don't actually remember this, but here's a picture of Domi apparently checking Chara over the boards

domi_i.jpg

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Was googling Jeremy Williams, I remember him getting a shot at the end of the season and having like 6 goals in 11 games, and basically ruining our shot at drafting JT... and then I came across this;

Leafs May Have A Shot At Tavares

[comment section] by Rico420
Tavares will wear the blue and white…
When he is 27 years old and is A UFA..otherwise there is no way that they should make any move that involves dealing Luke Schenn that's idiotic – and I'm sorry but the Leafs don't have enough to give the Isles or the Lightning for that matter to help fill any holes in their roster that are in glaring need of repair.

f***ing nostradamus.

(just ignore the whole part about Schenn)

Anyway, reading that comment section is....fun.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
88501729.jpg.22727_original.jpg

Hal Gill

Who was strangely hated by the Leaf fanbase and yet played fine in TOR, PIT (Cup Winner), and MTL.

I think the 2nd round pick TOR got from PIT for Gill was a mistake.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Does anyone remember this regular season goal?

He was so clutch. I remember him single handedly tying a game after being down 2 goals late in one of the playoff games against the Devils including one were he grabbed the puck out of the air behind the net, dropping it to his stick and bringing it around for either the typing goal or to bring it within one. Loved that guy.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I was at the game on January 8, 1986, when Toronto beat Edmonton 11-9, with Mirko Frycer outscored Gretzky 4-3.

Leafs were down 8-7 before Frycer scored three of the last five goals.

It was shinny - I don't think there was a bodycheck thrown all game, by either team.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I remember the Leafs winning four Stanley Cups, but they aren't my favourite sports memory.

I was 19 and in grade 13 for the 1972 Summit Series. The school had big black and white TVs set up in the cafeteria, and you were supposed to stay in school to watch the last two games (Tuesday and Thursday).

I didn't. I went home. My Dad worked shiftwork, and was home during the day that week. I got to watch those last two games at home, on a colour TV, with my Dad (and a glass of Scotch).

Dad has been gone for almost 35 years now, and that's one of my very favourite memories of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad