2. Clarkson trade
3. Phaneuf trade

4-5. Stamkos signing/Babcock hiring

6. Kessel trade

7-8. Lou hiring/Hunter hiring

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Errr I voted David Clarkson trade but after giving it a second though, a lottery win obviously would be #1. For me it's:

1) Lottery win
2) David Clarkson trade
3) Shanny/Lou hiring
4) Babs hiring
5) Stammer signing
6) Hunter and Co. hiring
7) Phaneuf trade
8) Kessel trade

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Great thread really puts the last year or so into perspective

Hard to believe 6/8 are actually reality

HFboards would have said all 8 of them have no chance of happening

I voted Stamkos but didn't notice lottery win was an option

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
The only event that really hyped me up out of all of those was the Babcock signing. It would be safe to say I would feel the same if we signed Stamkos

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If I was to rank them

1. Lottery win
2. Babcock
3. Shanahan/Lou Lam
4. Mark Hunter, et al
5. Clarkson trade
6. Kessel trade
7. Phaneuf trade
8. Stamkos signing

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
What a whirlwind 12 months.

Love what's been going on. We addressed coaching, scouting, management, development, capspace management, removed the main pieces of the old core, have built a top ~3 farm system in the league, and have quieted the media.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
This is all great stuff. I can't really rank them. I voted win the lottery because that's the next possibility and it would rank with the rest of them. Keep making good moves Leafs!:yo:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
David Clarkson being traded.

How. this isn't #1 for EVERYONE - I'll never know. Everything else is gravy. We ALL thought he was going to be here for the rest of his career here. OR we'd have to buy him out and he'd ALWAYS be on our cap. OR we'd have to get other egregious contracts - and we'd be hooped.

The fact that he was traded with no retention and the person he was traded for basically has zero impact on our cap except during the summer - Miracle.

2:Shanahan/Lu Hiring (g) (see - this should be separate I think) Like I'd have Shanahan first. Babcock second and then Lou third - for the most part

they're doing what this organization needed to do for ages. and they are not being swayed by anything. and they are healing old wounds (Keon), they're bringing respect (slloowwwlly) back to the Maple leaf - not by grand-standing and finding any and every microphone they can find. but by being quiet, and letting their actions speak for their words

4: Kessel trade
should never had gotten him, glad he's gone.

5: Dion Phaneuf Trade
needed for the rebuild.

6:Hunter & Co. Scouting hiring (h)
glad he's here - will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

7 Lottery win (f)
we deserve some happy

8:Steven Stamkos Signing (e)
we'll see how it shakes out.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I will rank with some reasoning:

1. Lottery Win - In my opinion, this would be the biggest for this team- Getting a premiere prospect and building with our strong prospect group is crucial. Every good team has the 'do everything' top line center and I see Matthews being that guy. Laine/Puju/Chychrun are great consolations, but a center is the main pillar in a build.

2. Shanahan/Lu Hiring - Without Shanahan I have a feeling we wouldn't have the ability to hire/sign the others on the list. So, even though Babcock or Stamkos may bring more - Shanny and Lu are given credit for setting the foundation that has made (potentially will make) these things happen.

3. Babcock hiring - Our team will be made for Mike, this hiring is huge for the growth of our team/core and prospects. Big money signing, for the best in the business.

4. Stamkos Signing - At the right price (doubt it will be) he can be a huge add to this team - Although, I think it may be 1 or 2 years too early. Regardless of what some have said - he IS a premiere player in this league and would be a huge signing.

5. Clarkson Trade - This is high on my list, such a big trade for our cap situation. Instantly made my day, perma-smile and had to constantly flick over to sites for a reality checks.

6. Hunter and Co. - This is another one of those blossoming hirings - we have seen the work done in last draft and it excites me to see what the next few will bring; especially since they will have a lot more picks to work with.

7/8. Dion and Kessel Trade - I rank Dion and Kessel's trade similar, both made me happy the instant they dropped - even before hearing value. The moving of the player and contract spoke more than the actual return. I didn't hate them, but the trade itself signified transition from the old regime/failed attempt and into the new era - that, in it self, exited me.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Stamkos is not a Leafs as yet - yet he is on so many polls

Come on guys :laugh:

I am not sure what are the rules on these boards but since the Mods have never objected - so I guess it's alright

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Stamkos is not a Leafs as yet - yet he is on so many polls

Come on guys :laugh:

I am not sure what are the rules on these boards but since the Mods have never objected - so I guess it's alright

You aren't wrong. I think Lottery win and Stamkos signing both hold the same low percentage. I added them to the poll to see how they stack up against the other great events.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
You aren't wrong. I think Lottery win and Stamkos signing both hold the same low percentage. I added them to the poll to see how they stack up against the other great events.

I am just having fun - so don't worry about it or just ignore me :laugh:

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
If I was to rank them

1. Lottery win
2. Babcock
3. Shanahan/Lou Lam
4. Mark Huner, et al
5. Clarkson trade
6. Kessel trade
7. Phaneuf trade
8. Stamkos signing

This is pretty much me as well.

We needed that management in order to do any of the other things.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Based on the wording of the poll I'll say the Babcock hiring. That was completely a surprise and a good one. That we got one of the best coaches in hockey to be on board with us and be a guy who can turn this ship around when the pieces are in place.

David Clarkson being traded.

How. this isn't #1 for EVERYONE - I'll never know. Everything else is gravy. We ALL thought he was going to be here for the rest of his career here. OR we'd have to buy him out and he'd ALWAYS be on our cap. OR we'd have to get other egregious contracts - and we'd be hooped.

The fact that he was traded with no retention and the person he was traded for basically has zero impact on our cap except during the summer - Miracle.
I think it's all about the poll meaning. What made you happiest. Frankly with Clarkson it was more relief than joy. Just relieved to get that dumb contract gone. It was a bad contract, but compared to everything on the list....

With Babcock's hiring that was much more "holy crap!" Not getting rid of an annoyance, but adding something huge.

At least that's how it worked for me.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Based on the wording of the poll I'll say the Babcock hiring. That was completely a surprise and a good one. That we got one of the best coaches in hockey to be on board with us and be a guy who can turn this ship around when the pieces are in place.

I think it's all about the poll meaning. What made you happiest. Frankly with Clarkson it was more relief than joy. Just relieved to get that dumb contract gone. It was a bad contract, but compared to everything on the list....

With Babcock's hiring that was much more "holy crap!" Not getting rid of an annoyance, but adding something huge.

At least that's how it worked for me.

The wording can be interpreted however you feel fit - at first, I thought of it as a 'shock' ranking. or one that would make you jump up and run around the house/office.

The more I let it settle, the "what has it done for me?" somewhat leaked in. i.e Shanny/Lu weren't as much of the shock variety, but fell higher in the category of their entire body of work.

For straight shock and happiness;

1.Clarkson 2.Babcock 3.Lottery 4. Stamkos 5. Shanny/Lu 6/7. Kessel/Dion 8.Hunter Co.

(not looking at impact, but more of a personal "WOW what the &%$!", the instant they dropped)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
1) Lottery win-Projected difference maker we don't have to trade or bid for.

2) Shanahan/Lou-Shanahan brought in Lou, Babcock, Hunter, Dubas. Wish Lou did the Kessel trade. Understand the lottery
protection, but retention was one concession too many IMO.

3) Hunter-Drafting (in all rounds) is extra important in a cap era.

4) Babcock-Coaching can make a difference.

5) Stamkos-Hurts when players (can) refuse to come here. He could be the catalyst for change.

6) Phaneuf-Tough to play up to his contract. Great trade, moreso if the assets materialize. No retention was imperative after the Kessel trade.

7) Kessel-Solid deal, aside from what I previously mentioned. Potentially better assets returned than Phaneuf deal, but also a better player dealt.

8) Clarkson-Fortunate we can make such deals, but can't make too many of them.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I voted for the hiring of Mike Babcock because despite a few bad nights he has made them a much better team compared to last season after Randy Carlyle was fired.

I would have also liked to vote for winning the draft lottery but it's something that has not happened and I don't want to vote for it now because I think if I did I might jinx it for this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad