The Star: Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle takes jab at Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/10/09/carlyle_takes_jab_at_kessel_bozak_feschuk.html

There was no hiding from the truth about Wednesday’s season-opening loss in Leafland: Toronto’s first line was probably its worst line. And certainly the trio of Phil Kessel, Tyler Bozak and James van Riemsdyk will have many more chances at redemption beginning Saturday at home against the Penguins.

With that in mind, it would have been easy for a head coach to toss off the unit’s game-costing ineptitude as a one-off stinker. But as the Maple Leafs reconvened for an off-ice workout on Thursday, it was interesting to note Randy Carlyle wasn’t inclined to be so charitable.

“It’s part of their responsibility to play to a higher level,†said Carlyle of his No. 1 forward combo.

Carlyle was speaking during a media scrum, where it had been pointed out that both Kessel and Bozak missed time at the conclusion of the pre-season with undisclosed lower body injuries. Again, those ailments were the perfect chance for Carlyle to provide his best players with cover. Again, Carlyle wasn’t so amiable.

“There’s things they have to do, and it’s not always on the ice. There’s a program in place with our strength and conditioning guys,†Carlyle said of Kessel and Bozak. “When you’re injured, it doesn’t mean you have days off. You have injured days, but there is treatment and there are off-ice workouts that are to be adhered. We have to make sure they take (it) seriously.â€

Perhaps realizing he’d just accused two of his top talents of playing hooky, Carlyle added: “I’m not saying they didn’t take it seriously.â€

In the immortal words of Kessel: Good one, Randy. The coach, we’re to understand, was not saying Kessel and Bozak didn’t take their rehab seriously. He simply launched an unprompted rant that strongly suggested they slacked off. But after that rant was unleashed — hey, he wanted to be clear that he wasn’t actually saying his model dressing-room citizens were anything but diligent.

But let’s just assume, for the sake of argument, they weren’t diligent. In that case, could Carlyle truly be surprised by Kessel-related pre-season lassitude when he’s the same coach who, on the first ay of training camp, acknowledged there’s a “double standard†in place in Toronto?

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
this is the same guy who pressures players to come back early from injuries, then they suck. idgaf what he thinks especially when it comes to kessel who hasn't missed a game in years

Reactions: olli

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
And yet he loaded them up with far more ice time than anyone else. Really gotta wonder about this guy.

CalgaryLeaf*

I wrote about this in the Kessel thread...I'm also wondering if Shanahan has given Carlyle the OK to be this open about players?...I mean you'd think that he would hold back a little after all the flack he got last year for innocently calling Reimer's play "just OK" after a game.

I really believe that Shanahan wants players to be held accountable for their poor play.

Does Babcock call out players in Detroit?

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
this is the same guy who pressures players to come back early from injuries, then they suck. idgaf what he thinks especially when it comes to kessel who hasn't missed a game in years

He pressures players to come back early? Any how he's right and there was nothing to take out of context or for anyone to get mad at. That was a pitiful game from those guys and the excuses of them being rusty was no excuse. These guys are the beginning and end of this team. I

It's a good sign that that line played so bad and we still had a chance to win it on several occasions. It's also good that they should feel a little less pressure to be the only form or offense the team has to offer.

They should however bring more effort and a willingness to want to win. Everyone has a bad night, but regardless of that you still need to work hard and give your all every shift. They didn't last night and that's why the comment was made, they realize this or at least they should and hopefully things turn out different on Saturday.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wrote about this in the Kessel thread...I'm also wondering if Shanahan has given Carlyle the OK to be this open about players?...I mean you'd think that he would hold back a little after all the flack he got last year for innocently calling Reimer's play "just OK" after a game.

I really believe that Shanahan wants players to be held accountable for their poor play.

Does Babcock call out players in Detroit?

Babcock once called Jimmy Howard awful and horrible

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
And yet he loaded them up with far more ice time than anyone else. Really gotta wonder about this guy.

Exactly. He's a hypocrite. He's complaining that they played poorly when he was the one who was in charge of giving them that much ice-time ove other players that were playing well.

Reactions: olli

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand

It's his first line, what do you want or expect him to do sit them for the period or give them 3rd or 4th line minutes? He was probably looking for them to break our and create some offense.

What would this thread have read like today if he decided to sit them and only give them 8- 10 minutes? some times there is literately no pleasing any of you guys. It's like some of you like to complain just for the sake of complaining.

Some of you guys must lead awful miserable and negative lives.

CalgaryLeaf*

Babcock once called Jimmy Howard awful and horrible

lol...really?

Well if you remember Bill Parcells,the football coach,he wasn't afraid to call a spade a spade either.:laugh:

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Carlyle is a tool. Criticizes them while playing them 21 minutes. :laugh:
If you didn't like their play, why play them for so many minutes? Doesn't make sense.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
lol...really?

Well if you remember Bill Parcells,the football coach,he wasn't afraid to call a spade a spade either.:laugh:

It was during 24/7.

Then Carlyle once said Reimer was okay, and everyone acted like he threw Reimer under the bus and they hated each other and junk.

Heck, I'd say Babcock throws his players under the bus MORE then Carlyle does.

I wonder how long it'd take for fans to turn on Babcock if he came here

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
It was during 24/7.

Then Carlyle once said Reimer was okay, and everyone acted like he threw Reimer under the bus and they hated each other and junk.

Heck, I'd say Babcock throws his players under the bus MORE then Carlyle does.

I wonder how long it'd take for fans to turn on Babcock if he came here

My guess is not long. Babcock is pretty fiery I am not sure the players we have here would like him much either when he informs them what he thinks about their play.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bench them if you don't like what they're doing. People in the organization seem to walk on egg shells around their massive Kessel investment, but Bozak? Bench him if you don't like what he's doing.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
Exactly. He's a hypocrite. He's complaining that they played poorly when he was the one who was in charge of giving them that much ice-time ove other players that were playing well.

Kessel playing bad > Practically every player on our team

He was hoping the offense would finally click

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Feschuk is at it again. I saw the interview, and Carlyle was diplomatic in his response.

To be honest though, any players on the club should be called out for not taking their conditioning or rehabilitation seriously.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Feschuk is at it again. I saw the interview, and Carlyle was diplomatic in his response.

To be honest though, any players on the club should be called out for not taking their conditioning or rehabilitation seriously.

Typical.

Step 1: Release article with bold title and quotes cherry picked from a larger interview

Step 2: Tweet out only the most interesting aspects of the title or get it brought up on SNet/TSN.

Step 3: Watch the minions swarm until they realize 2 days later the context in which it was said wasn't that bad.

Step 4: Repeat.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Why would Bozak and Kessel do anything differently? They suck, they look slow, lazy and disinterested and they still get their 20+ minutes a night. No wonder there's a double standard, Carlyle is supporting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad