GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Carolina Hurricanes | Sweethearts Ball | Feb 14, 1967 @ 7:00 pm

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Didn't want to start a thread to ask a question, so I'll throw it out here. Someone mentioned that the rink is usually only half full. Can someone explain the attendence situation please? Has it gone up at all this year as a result of signing A.S. and J.S.? J. Rutherford said something about more season ticket sales, T.V. rights. What are revenues like there? Thanks.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Didn't want to start a thread to ask a question, so I'll throw it out here. Someone mentioned that the rink is usually only half full. Can someone explain the attendence situation please? Has it gone up at all this year as a result of signing A.S. and J.S.? J. Rutherford said something about more season ticket sales, T.V. rights. What are revenues like there? Thanks.

Whoever made that comment is functionally Pejorative Slured. A typical game in the last three years would have between 14-16000, on average, but for higher profile visiting teams, it would be close to a sellout or a sellout.

This season, I believe they've all been sell outs, although I could be wrong.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Whoever made that comment is functionally Pejorative Slured. A typical game in the last three years would have between 14-16000, on average, but for higher profile visiting teams, it would be close to a sellout or a sellout.

This season, I believe they've all been sell outs, although I could be wrong.

Thanks. That's good to hear. :) I wondered how that could have been. I hope revenues are high so players can be kept and others needed obtained. IMO, if a few more pieces can be added, the Canes are a solid Cup contender.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I was at the Valentine's Day game, and when the game started, there were plenty of empty seats. I'm not autistic, but I'd guess maybe 12,000 had their butts planted at the puck drop. Generally the seats filled up as the game went along, but certainly you saw some deep red holes in the crowd.

Sellouts don't really tell the whole story when it comes to actual game attendance. Can we trust the attendance figure on the game sheet...is it a count of the number of bodies that made the turnstiles click?

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I was at the Valentine's Day game, and when the game started, there were plenty of empty seats. I'm not autistic, but I'd guess maybe 12,000 had their butts planted at the puck drop. Generally the seats filled up as the game went along, but certainly you saw some deep red holes in the crowd.

Sellouts don't really tell the whole story when it comes to actual game attendance. Can we trust the attendance figure on the game sheet...is it a count of the number of bodies that made the turnstiles click?

I'm not sure how many people actually showed up, but the tickets were sold out, or close to it. I was trying to get tickets to the game, but there were limited tickets available at the box office and stubhub had <100 available, and they all seemed to be selling at or above face value.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Just short of all games being sold out. Averaging (according to ESPN at least) about 18,260 which is only about 400 shy of averaging a sellout.

Tampa, Ottawa, and Toronto have all been sellouts. Buffalo was a hair over 18K and Boston was a hair over 17K.

I'm guessing a lot of no-shows due to it being Valentines Day but even so it still looked pretty full on the TV.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
It's tickets sold IIRC not the amount of people coming into the arena..

May not look good for some empty areas but as long as those tixs aren't all comps its all money going to the team either way.

When we make the playoffs, the place won't have a seat to fill. :handclap:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That Toronto game was weird. Out in the concourse before the game and between the periods it was as congested as I'd seen it and hard to move through the crowd (at least in LL south where I sit). The food lines were also very long. But there seemed to be a lot of unoccupied seats, especially in the LL between the blue lines. No way it looked like a sellout unless a bunch of STH's didn't show and were going to exchange the un-used tickets.

Clark Gillies

Oct 3, 2006
Carolina

No way not even close to an accurate estimate - 12,000 would be about 35% of the arena empty.
I was there and maybe it was about 15,000 in seats at puck drop.

I am a season ticket holder and traditionally on weeknight games if I do not get to the arena 1 hour early, I cannot get in before puck drop. Leaving the house 20 minutes later means in my seat and hour later, the traffic pattern is horrendous getting in near game time.

For the 5 home games average attendance is over 18,000.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
There are a bunch of places to watch the game, other than your seats, especially for folks in the lower level. The Deck is always packed, and there are a few other bar areas that are usually pretty full. There's the bar on the club level, too. Plus, a lot of folks like to stand at the back of the sideline sections. It's really a tremendous view and you can move more to the center or toward the end the Canes are shooting if your tickets are on the other side of the rink.

Just sayin'.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Can only go with what I saw on TV but the lower level had a bunch of empty seats early on. Those were filled later.

Also maybe conspiracy theory but the LeafsTV feed seemed to be purposely noise-canceling the arena. PNC seemed almost quiet as an Islander home game. I wonder if they were trying to make it seem like nobody was there....attendance says otherwise though.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I was watching the Canes feed.. the crowd wasn't quiet but their wasn't much to cheer for in some stretches of the game due to the style of play.

Definitely not morgue like with the ACC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad