Toronto Maple Leafs - 2022 Entry Draft - 7th Rd Pick (218th OA) - Brandon Lisowsky (LW)

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Minten was better than a 4th or 5th round prospect. He was a guy who would have been solid value at 79.

At 38? There is just not enough upside there and he is far from a polished prospect to make up for it. He is your run-of-the-mill middle-3rd round guy that you can consistently find in every draft... and this draft had a bunch of them. Except most of those guys were taken in the 3rd... Where they should have been taken.

Lisowsky, meanwhile, is a typical boom-bust pick that is somewhat the alternative to the Minten-types you find in the 3rd round. He has great upside, but he is less likely to fill a bottom 6 role. Dumais and Lucius were other guys like that available in this draft (although Lisowsky is more of a sniper than those two). Getting a guy like this in the 7th round is excellent value.
If the Leafs had Minten as a first rounder the a first rounder then they see something others don’t. I trust the scouts as they have been able to find NHL players in the late first to second rounds.

Reactions: Visnovsky

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
You usually start doing that by reading thoughts and opinions of people more well informed than yourself on the matter, I was just asking a question about a similar chart, no need to be a C you next Tuesday.
I’m on the “form your own opinion“train.:thumbu:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
W - Brandon Lisowsky - 18.4 - 5'9" - 181lbs - Saskatoon Blades

D0 - 68GP, 33G, 0.85PPG, 11.68 Adj.NHLe (37th of 172)
D-1 - 24GP, 8G, 0.71PPG, 10.25 Adj.NHLe (19th of 113)

Firstly with Lisowsky, you'll see he's 5'9" and I'm sure we'll get some Dubas smurf comments to go with it. Lisowsky can flat out play, and likely should have been a mid-2nd - early 3rd round pick with what he's done so far in 92 WHL games. I had him ranked 59th, and I truly believe that if he was a couple inches taller he might not have been available even there. The guy had 1st round production last year, and unlike Minten improved on his game (they had similar production seasons their D0), but unfortunately not enough to vault him passed a bunch of guys that improved more and have games that will likely translate better.

Now don't get it twisted, this guy straight up doesn't f***ing care at all about his size. He's so fast, he's got an absolute rocket of shot that he LOVES to use, goes right to the dirty areas, and he can flat out produce. Nobody works harder than him on the ice. He does give off some DeBrincat vibes with the shot, the moves, and skating with that size, but it's unfair to even compare the two at the same age. Now Saskatoon was an okay team, but they really didn't have anyone of note to play with besides Crnkovic (5'7" OA D1), and Robins (sharks 2nd rounder). He had to do a lot of the heavy lifting himself with this team and he managed to put up borderline 1st round production as a pretty young D0.

I like his chances at a NHL career if he continues the upward trajectory he's on. It's very, very good value in the 7th round even if he flat out busts. I wasn't able to follow the draft (thanks Rogers), but I'm fairly certain he was my BPA at the spot (by a lot).

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
It has been a weird draft. Never thought I see a Slovak picked at #1, who's point production was low. We'll be laughing at the Habs for years to come.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If the Leafs had Minten as a first rounder the a first rounder then they see something others don’t. I trust the scouts as they have been able to find NHL players in the late first to second rounds.

Normally I would agree, but our WHL track record has not been as good as other regions (other than Rielly of course, but that was a long time ago now) and we have a new Director and WHL scout to pair with Garth Malarchuk this year.

EDIT: Lisowsky though... That was an excellent pick. Straight A+. He could very well be a top 5 prospect in our pool by the end of next year. Between guys like Lisowsky, Miettinen, and Robertson, we are doing a great job at finding guys who can provide some excellent secondary offense down the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: htpwn

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hard to tell… numbers aren’t eye popping but solid. Like his goal scoring ability.

Worth giving an ELC to IMO and see how he develops with the Marlies.

Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs are a winger factory.

When you’re talking about a 7th round pick you’re usually taking a flyer on some pro skills with no size on the wing or a pro body lacking a few pro attributes, or an obscure European prospect that went under the radar.

Reactions: arso40

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
5'9 and 80 points in 68 WHL games? Could see the team keeping him in the org on an AHL or ECHL deal if he's looking to continue the NHL dream. Doubt they'd spend an NHL contract slot on that much of a long shot though, other teams love our waiver wire claims but they don't generally go poaching our AHL contracts with ELC's.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Not going to pretend to be an expert on a kid I've never watched play.

Will only add that he seems to be the sort of player, with his offensive production and upside, that you'd probably want to be burning a 7th round pick on in any draft.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
When you’re talking about a 7th round pick you’re usually taking a flyer on some pro skills with no size on the wing or a pro body lacking a few pro attributes, or an obscure European prospect that went under the radar.
True, but if you are going to go 4 forwards half the cap, we should have went extra heavy on the D. Not trading 1sts for Foligno and whatever.

Everything was just done really badly around the signing of 4.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
True, but if you are going to go 4 forwards half the cap, we should have went extra heavy on the D. Not trading 1sts for Foligno and whatever.

Everything was just done really badly around the signing of 4.

No doubt. All we needed to do was build a traditional core on conventional wisdom: crash and bang snarl, size, two way awareness up front, a capable group of length defenders on the back end as support and a quality goalie.

The Kadri trade was definitely the first sign management may have not been the right stuff. Why was he traded for a one year moonshot with a fit as bad as Tyson Barrie and a no personality center like Kerfoot? Anyway, water under the bridge now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad