Toronto Maple Leafs 2012 draft review

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
Photo: Widely regarded as a potential first-round pick, Matt Finn slipped to the second round where the Maple Leafs were happy to select him with the 35th overall pick. (Aaron Bell/CHL Images)

The Toronto Maple Leafs went into the 2012 NHL Draft with six selections, including the fifth overall. While General Manager Brian Burke did little to surprise with his selections, there was some big news at the conclusion of the draft.

Burke dealt former fifth-overall pick in 2008, defenseman Luke Schenn to the Philadelphia Flyers for the former second-overall pick in 2007, forward James Van Riemsdyk. Schenn was deemed expendable due to numbers on defense and the need for a top-six forward with size.… read more

More...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Closing in on 3 years since the 2012 draft. Interesting looking back on the Defencemen drafted in 2012 and their progressions in comparison to our own Morgan Rielly. This was the draft to take a Defenceman.

2nd pick - Murray * just back from injury, looked good in rookie year. Still love him as a D man.
4th pick - Reinhart minors
5th pick - Rielly, 7g 18a, 25pts -16 * continues to progress, needs to work on his D though.
6th pick - Lindholm, 7g 26a, 33pts +23 * continues to look like a great pick for the Ducks. Now 2 very good seasons in a row.
7th pick - Dumba, 7g 4a, 11pts +13 * really has come on this year, much more poised than last year. Looks terrific since being recalled.
9th pick - Trouba, 7g 14 a, 21 pts even * Could be argubably one the best D man drafted this draft. Terrific pick by the Jets.
10th pick - Koekkoek, minors. * Think he will be a good reliable D man for years to come. Sleeper
15th pick - Ceci, 5g 15a 20 pts -3 * some good some bad.
22nd pick - Maata * injury has derailed a very promising start to career.
23rd pick - Matheson College
25th pick - Schmaltz College
28th pick - Skjei University
34th pick Pokka AHL
35th pick Finn AHL

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
to be honest, I think the leafs did quite well drafting that year given their late round picks.

Compare that to biggs and well...

Shwaguy*

As far as other Dmen in this draft, Lindholm/Trouba/Maata are the only ones who have an argument over Rielly.

They've all played on good to great teams though, whereas Rielly has played on this trainwreck of a squad. I'd still definitely draft Rielly ahead of all 3 of them.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
As far as other Dmen in this draft, Lindholm/Trouba/Maata are the only ones who have an argument over Rielly.

They've all played on good to great teams though, whereas Rielly has played on this trainwreck of a squad. I'd still definitely draft Rielly ahead of all 3 of them.

Don't sell Dumba short. He has come on a lot this season. His shot is one of the best in this group.

mikebel111*

This is turning into a great draft for us
Rielly has at times been the best player for us during this horrific stretch. Looks to me he wants to control the game. Potential #1
Matt Finn: had some mental struggles in the beginning on the Marlies, than after being called up from ECHL, started to blossom than got hurt at worst time. Still the top 4 upside is there but needs to stay healthy
Dominic: nice offensive tools who is showing progress in every aspect, a long term top 6 boom or bust prospect. We'll see what happens
Brown: I dont think I even need to talk about him. Amazing pick
Rupert: I didnt see this production coming at all. Plays all kinds of minutes for the marlies and annoying to play against. Looking real nice
Loov: Another great surprise, been one of the best Marlies dman and players this season. Top 4 potential if he can keep it up

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Rielly is probably the 4th best defenceman in his draft year right now. Lindholm and Trouba are clearly better, and I believe Murray is as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad