GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs (1-0-1) @ Winnipeg Jets (1-2-0) | Oct 19 8PM || PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Andersen had 1 bad game, 1 ok game and 1 good game.

I'm sick of everyone blaming Andersen for every goal as well
Our D run around like chickens with there heads cut off and our forwards have a horrible tendency of losing there man in our own zone
He's a goalie who will win us games if we play well in front of him
Until we do that we are going to get meltdowns like this

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The purpose isn't really to secure points in the standing. It's to develop as a team full of rookies.
Losing games like this can, with proper guidence, help develop a team. It's out 3rd game as a new team and people are full blown chicken little node.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Losing games like this can, with proper guidence, help develop a team. It's out 3rd game as a new team and people are full blown chicken little node.

I wouldn't be surprised if Babcock was tearing a strip off them after this game, as part of that proper guidance you're referring to.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
They look very good offensively. There are the seeds of a strong scoring club here.

Babcock has a lot of work to do on the defensive side. Good news is, the parts of the game we're weak at can be taught.

I think Andersen is still working out the rust. He'll get better.

Andersen was excellent for 2 periods, but he was worn down by the end of the third. When there's that much zone pressure it's really hard on the goalie, especially this early in the season. He's the reason we got a point, guys.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
our small (and soft) d corps just couldn't handle their big bodies and cycle game... end of story.

That was a factor, but the Jets had incredible puck luck as well. Lots of favourable bounces. Not just leading to scoring chances, but keeping the puck in the zone as well. It didn't help that our young team started to squeeze their sticks as a result. It happens though.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Complaining doesn't mean people are heading to the fallout shelters. One person said that about Matthews but most people are competent enough to realize how little this one game effects the long run.

People are still allowed to complain and most are warranted after a night like tonight. Doesn't mean people hate the team or the player all of a sudden, no need to overreact the other way.
Imo complaining is "I hate losing" "we didn't play well" etc but people are literally stating andersen is a bust. Babcock needs to wake up etc.
I hate that we lost. I hate that we lost is the fashion we did. But it's the very beginning of the season and it's a new young team. There is so much good to take from this loss bit people saying player X is a waste or player Y should never play in this type of situation again is asinine after 3 games for any team much less a teal with 6 rookies and 8 total players new to the team.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Everyone calm down and take a deep breath :)
There have been MANY nights where Ovechkin has dominated over Crosby.
But who would you take first in a re-draft?

Oh and Andersen needs to clean it up ...#4 and #5 he did not look great.

I'd still take Ovechkin in his draft year and Crosby in his. You can't have a re-draft and mix the draft years. Both went 1st overall in their respective draft years.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I wouldn't be surprised if Babcock was tearing a strip off them after this game, as part of that proper guidance you're referring to.

Agreed! I think he did that in the 1st intermission too, hence the good 2nd period we had.
This is a development year and a game like this is a good development tool.

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
Our young guns = skill
Almost everyone else = ?

Our rookies are doing their part. When they falter can we expect our vets to pick up the slack? Other than Rielly and Zaitsev can we expect much from the others? Management is still in the process of building a contender. Lots of growing pains to come :)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm sick of everyone blaming Andersen for every goal as well
Our D run around like chickens with there heads cut off and our forwards have a horrible tendency of losing there man in our own zone
He's a goalie who will win us games if we play well in front of him
Until we do that we are going to get meltdowns like this

Yup! Again, there will be pain.
Young team, early in the season. They will get it soon. There were glimpses of the team potential in the 2nd period tonight.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
You literally, could have not scripted a worse ending for us here.

Laine with the KO. Period.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
our small (and soft) d corps just couldn't handle their big bodies and cycle game... end of story.

Well the forwards weren't that good defensively as well.

But to your point; that's a big issue for this team. We are really soft on the back end, and I'm not talking about needing a bone crusher. We simply don't have more then 2 d capable of winning those one on one battles.

Zaitsev was our best d IMO.

Last edited:

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I was pretty disappointed to hear the "Laine's better" chant. I'm fine with picking on players that have been in the league for a few years, but picking on a 18 year old rookie in his 3rd game is pretty low.

So, on behalf of level-headed Jets fans, I apologize.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The Leafs defensive qualms also lies in their forward core as well. With top line of JVR - Bozak - Marner, we're obviously going to be weak, and porous up front. Maybe if Bozak was a ferocious forechecker like ROR, his lack of physicality wouldn't matter but it certainly does.

That said, I do think we ought to keep the Matthews - Nylander pair going. The shut down game by Winnipeg definitely surprised the two rookies, though. I expect them to overcome these pains.

Now seeing that I among many others proposed Kadri to replace Bozak. However, I am starting to think that Marner would flourish even more with a big, second line C sort of like Anisimov. Otherwise, the winger on the Kadri-Marner pair needs to be a lot more physical than JVR.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yup! Again, there will be pain.
Young team, early in the season. They will get it soon. There were glimpses of the team potential in the 2nd period tonight.

Yeah I'm really happy with how the young guys look as well
You can teach guys how to defend and our young guys look like they want to do it they just don't know how to do it effectively yet
You can't teach high end skill and our young guys have a ton of it

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I was pretty disappointed to hear the "Laine's better" chant. I'm fine with picking on players that have been in the league for a few years, but picking on a 18 year old rookie in his 3rd game is pretty low.

So, on behalf of level-headed Jets fans, I apologize.

Matthews is 19 he can handle it :sarcasm:

I thought it was pretty embarrassing, but then I heard they chanted Crosby's better in a Jets/Caps game and so I realized the scale of embarrassing got far far worse ;)

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Well the forwards weren't that good defensively as well.

But to your point; that's a big issue for this team. We are really soft on the back end, and I'm not talking about needing a bone cruncher. We simply don't have more then 2 d capable of winning those one on one battles.

Zaitsev was our best d IMO.
As I argued prior to the pre-season, Zaitsev has to be our best defenseman in the D zone. It's not even an argument. He rarely losses one-on-one battles and is so much better clearing out the crease than the more physical Polak.

Ideally, we need pair Rielly and Zaitsev. The former shouldn't be covering Marincin and instead be allowed to carry the puck up the ice. He's an elite puck rusher and like Doughty/Keith has to be that. Nikita has the ability to be a more offensively gifted Hjalmarsson. Unfortunately, the mid-pairing is also lacking a physically stronger, puck moving defenseman as well.

SwissGuy

Apr 13, 2015
Matthews is 19 he can handle it :sarcasm:

I thought it was pretty embarrassing, but then I heard they chanted Crosby's better in a Jets/Caps game and so I realized the scale of embarrassing got far far worse ;)

Big whoop , these players are going to make millions of dollars. I think they can handle a little bit of heckling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad