Confirmed with Link: Toronto gets Campbell and Clifford for Moore, 2nd (cond) & 3rd (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
True, but I still think the draft is the #1 tool in the toolbox. Those other methods are more supplemental versus primary imho. I've never kept track, but I think have been a lot of busts from the KHL & other leagues (you named some).

But, yes I agree that we need to hit on these other methods versus the traditional draft route if we keep trading picks away. We'll have to. I'm starting to get this deja-vu feeling though. We've been down this road before - Burke era free wallets.
Agree completely. Leafs just need to get good players for all channels. The other other thing Leafs are doing well is developing. They have the money to slowly develop players. Take Tima for example, don’t think any other team will offer him a contract that Leafs can’t match but kicker is Leafs is willing to make it a one way deal instead of two ways. That’s literally half a million difference, it helps Leafs to prolong the development of the players.

Reactions: KeonHorton

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dubas went all in and mortgaged the future for this year and if the Leafs miss the playoffs and those UFA walk then the damage the prospect pool both picks and players will be significant and all lost with little to no residual value..

Leafs trade 1st 2019 + 2 X former 2nd round picks Grundstrom + Durzi
Leafs traded Kadri + Rosen + 3rd for Barrie and Kerfoot
Leafs traded 1st (2020/21) to dump Marleau
Leafs traded Moore and 2 X 3rds for Campbell and Clifford.

Leafs will be out 2 X 1sts + 2 former 2nd round prospects + 3 X 3rds and only have Kerfoot and Campbell to show as remaining pieces just for renting Muzzin, Barrie and Clifford for this year.

If Leafs miss the playoffs this year..
Can you imagine trading 2 X 1sts + 3 X 3rds + Grundstrom, Durzi, Moore, Rosen for Kerfoot (3rd line Centre) and Jack Campbell (backup goalie)? :booboo:

That is not the entire story one bit. What about all the years of cap hit on Zaitsev, the fact that Johnsson and Kappy are still here and the fact that you are speculating missing the playoffs. Just stir the pot eh! arrrrrgh

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Not the 1st Leaf to wear #73...who was?
Kubina

pavel-kubina-of-the-toronto-maple-leafs-skates-during-the-game-the-picture-id72138664

He was really bad when he wore 73, only 21 points in 61 games.

Clifford's wearing 73, because it closely resembles 13. Mats Sundin was his idol growing up. Can't wear 13 for obvious reasons.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Faster response, than Insta.

Fun fact: Both Kubina and Clifford wore 73, since both times they wore #13 on their
former teams. Pavel wasn't going to ask the captain to switch, now #13 is retired.
I thought Kubina choose #31 since he was obviously not getting #13 and he switched to #73 when Toronto brought back Curtis Joseph for the 2009 season.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
True, but I still think the draft is the #1 tool in the toolbox. Those other methods are more supplemental versus primary imho. I've never kept track, but I think there have been a lot of busts from the KHL & other leagues (you named some).

But, yes I agree that we need to hit on these other methods versus the traditional draft route if we keep trading picks away. We'll have to. I'm starting to get this deja-vu feeling though. We've been down this road before - Burke era free wallets.

I hear ya, but the difference was burke didn't start with matthews/jt/nylander/marner and rielly … trading firsts to build is different than what we have here imo ...

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hutch last night made me sick, it was real sick. Headache!
Haha, did you see him get mad at Dermott for sliding his stick in front of him, then he picked it up,fumbles for grip and gets scored on lol. Dermott was out to lunch there and deserved whatever hutch said to him. You don’t distract a goalie like that and cover nobody in the process. That goal was on Dermott, just saying. Hutch was p!ssed

Reactions: CelticDruid

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I hear ya, but the difference was burke didn't start with matthews/jt/nylander/marner and rielly … trading firsts to build is different than what we have here imo ...
Sure, different situations - agreed. Just hoping this (moving picks) doesn't become more of a trend. So far, its caught up with all teams including Chicago, L.A. & Pittsburgh, but with one critical difference - those teams won multiple Cups before the inevitable caught up with them.

Reactions: freshwind

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That is not the entire story one bit. What about all the years of cap hit on Zaitsev, the fact that Johnsson and Kappy are still here and the fact that you are speculating missing the playoffs. Just stir the pot eh! arrrrrgh

Well I was responding to a post that set up the premise of the outcome of missing the playoffs and letting Barrie, Muzzin and Clifford walk. :)

However that said it really doesn't change all the picks and prospects out betting on this season even if the Leafs make the playoffs as they still leave regardless of playoffs or not. In fact one of the 3rds becomes a 2nd if the Leafs are in.

It would then all come down to if the Leafs win the Cup because if they should then all transactions will be worth it regardless of the cost going forward, and anything less than a Cup will have the same final outcome as missing them would essentially as there are no participation ribbons handed out.

Really comes down to resigning of Muzzin, Barrie and or Clifford as to retained value beyond this season.

PS. Zaitsev and Brown were shipped for Ceci and Harpur and since Zaitsev and Ceci have the same AAV this year its really a wash on this season.. Its future years where you let Ceci walk and reuse cap space on future Zaitsev remaining years is where you have new cap space for future expenditures.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs GM Kyle Dubas held a media availability to discuss the acquisitions of goalie Jack Campbell and forward Kyle Clifford, the injury statuses of Frederik Andersen and Cody Ceci, and whether he’s done with dealing before the deadline.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well I was responding to a post that set up the premise of the outcome of missing the playoffs and letting Barrie, Muzzin and Clifford walk. :)

However that said it really doesn't change all the picks and prospects out betting on this season even if the Leafs make the playoffs as they still leave regardless of playoffs or not. In fact one of the 3rds becomes a 2nd if the Leafs are in.

It would then all come down to if the Leafs win the Cup because if they should then all transactions will be worth it regardless of the cost going forward, and anything less than a Cup will have the same final outcome as missing them would essentially as there are no participation ribbons handed out.

Really comes down to resigning of Muzzin, Barrie and or Clifford as to retained value beyond this season.

PS. Zaitsev and Brown were shipped for Ceci and Harpur and since Zaitsev and Ceci have the same AAV this year its really a wash on this season.. Its future years where you let Ceci walk and reuse cap space on future Zaitsev remaining years is where you have new cap space for future expenditures.

Can't help but think we'd be about the same or better with Zaitsev than Ceci. Ceci is like Zaitsev but more skittish and more prone to catastrophic errors.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Campbell is about a year older than Jordan Binnington and one of those former WJC stars who never really did much in the game. Curious to see how he plays behind the Leafs. He's on a better team than LA but will probably receive less defensive support.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Campbell is about a year older than Jordan Binnington and one of those former WJC stars who never really did much in the game. Curious to see how he plays behind the Leafs. He's on a better team than LA but will probably receive less defensive support.

Campbell is going to be thrown into the deep end tomorrow but I expect the Leafs to protect him a little better than they did Kasikasuo in his debut. Ducks playing tonight so hopefully they will come in a little tired and not as hungry as the Pens.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
For some reason he also thought we missed the playoffs last year.

Reactions: kb

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Dubas went all in and mortgaged the future for this year and if the Leafs miss the playoffs and those UFA walk then the damage the prospect pool both picks and players will be significant and all lost with little to no residual value

Leafs trade 1st 2019 + 2 X former 2nd round picks Grundstrom + Durzi
Leafs traded Kadri + Rosen + 3rd for Barrie and Kerfoot
Leafs traded 1st (2020/21) to dump Marleau
Leafs traded Moore and 2 X 3rds for Campbell and Clifford.

Leafs will be out 2 X 1sts + 2 former 2nd round prospects + 3 X 3rds and only have Kerfoot and Campbell to show as remaining pieces just for renting Muzzin, Barrie and Clifford for this year.

If Leafs miss the playoffs this year..
Can you imagine trading 2 X 1sts + 3 X 3rds + Grundstrom, Durzi, Moore, Rosen for Kerfoot (3rd line Centre) and Jack Campbell (backup goalie)? :booboo:

You can't leave out Kap and Mango. If they Leafs don't move Marleau they can't resign those two.

They most likely will sign Muzzin and Clifford and if Lily is ready let Barrie walk.

So really the Leafs end up with Kap, Mango, Kerfoot, Muzzin, Clifford and Campbell.

You can say you wouldn't trade 2 firsts, 2 thirds, and some prospects for that package still but that is far more accurate than the narrative you are saying

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Haha, did you see him get mad at Dermott for sliding his stick in front of him, then he picked it up,fumbles for grip and gets scored on lol. Dermott was out to lunch there and deserved whatever hutch said to him. You don’t distract a goalie like that and cover nobody in the process. That goal was on Dermott, just saying. Hutch was p!ssed

They both coughed up a hair ball at the same time.

Reactions: kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Many Leaf fans have proactively been pleading for an new backup goalie and some much needed size and grit since the summer.

Apparently if you complain long enough eventually Dubas will come around and see the light. :sarcasm:

Its interesting hearing Dubas PC today and how he is praising the skillset that Clifford brings when he has been systematically clearing out these types of players and been opposed to it earlier.

Maple Leafs’ Dubas believes Clifford trade will make ‘big impact’

Yes, as a pending UFA, Clifford is a rental for now — but one the GM and the club’s fans may wish to keep around.

Clifford’s edge and how it’s tailor-made for the post-season grind will be the first point of conversation. The man has racked up as many as 24 fights in a single NHL campaign (2010-11, pre-season through post-season). And even in this, a light season, Clifford has dropped the gloves as often as the entire conflict-adverse Maple Leafs roster combined (three).

Clifford arrives as far and away the club leader in career PIMs with 819 — comparatively, at age 36 and with 447 more games played, Jason Spezza is only at 570 — and singlehandedly begins to curb the Leafs’ reputation as being an easy team to play against, as far as bumps and bruises are concerned.

“He’ll make a big impact here right away, knowing his personality,” Dubas said Thursday. “If you have those elements to your game that you’re physical and competitive and you have a presence to you, you have to be able to play. “He can play — and those guys aren’t in abundance anymore. I think that’s why when they’re available, the cost is pretty high.”

“He has some elements that we don’t have in abundance,” Dubas said. “Number 1 is, he’s still a player that you don’t have to hide. He doesn’t need to play two or three minutes a night.

“He’ll be able to play in the bottom end of our lineup and do those things with our group and hopefully get our team onto offense. And let our big guys come out in the offensive zone and roll from there.”

But Clifford is not just here to start and end scrums. The knuckles are certainly not the only portion of his hands that are useful. He has proven to be a valuable bottom-six contributor, albeit on a bad team.

Maple Leafs' Dubas believes Clifford trade will make 'big impact' - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:
Reactions: Northofyu

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Trust me on this, Campbell will be a better starting goalie than that choke Andersen. He way quicker and has better reflexes than Andersen too, plus he actually likes playing in high pressure games unlike the choker Andersen. Cant wait to see him steal the starting job from the overrated Andersen. You will realize how slow Andersens reflexes are compared to a true atheletic goalie like Campbell.

LOL..NO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad