Proposal: Toronto/Dallas

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
To Dallas: Kasperi Kapanen

To Toronto: Julius Honka

Dallas gets a slow-ish developing forward to help with scoring & Toronto gets a same-age Slow-ish developing defenseman.

Stars can afford to trade a defender and Leafs can afford to trade a forward. Seems like a fit to me.

Flame away

Reactions: Brock Radunske

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No flame just just not that interested in this deal, any defenseman we acquire by way of trade needs to be more established at this point in my opinion. That being said, RESPECTFUL decline.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Kapanen has been one of the leafs best players everytime he has been given a chance. I don't think the leafs are gonna give him up for a prospect that just hasnt really shown much in the NHL

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Kapanen has been one of the leafs best players everytime he has been given a chance. I don't think the leafs are gonna give him up for a prospect that just hasnt really shown much in the NHL

You could literally say the exact same thing about Honka and the Stars when he was given a consistent chance & the Stars could point to Kapanen’s stat line and say the exact same thing that you said about Honka.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You could literally say the exact same thing about Honka and the Stars when he was given a consistent chance & the Stars could point to Kapanen’s stat line and say the exact same thing that you said about Honka.

stat line is misleading. try watching a few leaf games. Kapanen only plays the 4th line because brown is the defensive presence for bozak and jvr and nylander and marner are the leafs top 2 wingers

Kapanen is one of the fastest kids in the league and was ppg in the AHL at 20. he isnt going anywhere unless its for a significant upgrade. this just seems too much like a lateral move

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
stat line is misleading. try watching a few leaf games. Kapanen only plays the 4th line because brown is the defensive presence for bozak and jvr and nylander and marner are the leafs top 2 wingers

Kapanen is one of the fastest kids in the league and was ppg in the AHL at 20. he isnt going anywhere unless its for a significant upgrade. this just seems too much like a lateral move

My point wasn’t that Kapanen is bad. It’s that you can’t say “Kapanen just hasn’t got the chances he needs & Honka hasn’t proven anything” because they’re both in similar boats. I’m not trying to convince you to accept an imaginary trade, but you have to realize the goofy-ness in your logic.

I could 100% say to you “try watching a few Stars games. Honka’s stat line is misleading”, just as you said.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
My point wasn’t that Kapanen is bad. It’s that you can’t say “Kapanen just hasn’t got the chances he needs & Honka hasn’t proven anything” because they’re both in similar boats. I’m not trying to convince you to accept an imaginary trade, but you have to realize the goofy-ness in your logic.

I could 100% say to you “try watching a few Stars games. Honka’s stat line is misleading”, just as you said.

ok thats fine. but leafs still say no to this deal. is Honka a top 4 dman? no. leafs wouldnt have any interest in this type of deal. they already have a bunch of guys that should be 3rd pairing/ should compete for 3rd pairing jobs next year (Hainsey,Polak,Borgman,Liljegren,Carrick,Rosen,Holl etc)

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Fair enough, I'd keep Kapanen though. Stylistically, he fits more of what we need. As shown in this playoffs, and over the season, he's being underutilized severely and his speed is absolutely game-breaking. Just needs to finish some of those chances. He's not a bluechip by any means though.

We have enough PMD in the mold of Honka. We need more of a complimentary d-man that can provide more of a shut-down, physical presence- ideally one with size.

Could end up being stupid either way doing a deal like this based on Honka/Kap's trajectory as well.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
We need more of a complimentary d-man that can provide more of a shut-down, physical presence- ideally one with size.

Does a Johns or Methot interest you? Doubt we would move Johns (need that physical presence and shot blocking) but still

Feb 24, 2017
Terrible for Dallas.

Mason Raymond is a UFA. Why spend a premium asset on Mason Raymond 2018.

Skate fast. Accomplish little. Rinse and repeat.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Does a Johns or Methot interest you? Doubt we would move Johns (need that physical presence and shot blocking) but still

I would have interest in Johns on the right side, as a bottom-pairing defensive player for the right return (but I also think Holl deserves a strong look next year as well). We desperately need size, physicality on our blue-line and have enough higher end puck movers.

Methot I'm ambivalent on. We could use him, but I don't see him as anything more than a stop-gap and feel like his cap can be better allocated....let alone whatever assets we'd have to give up to get him.

I would say Honka roughly has even value, give or take though, I just don't think it really fits our needs. We aren't great trade partners IMO. I think a team like the Flames are a good partner for the Leafs, but both teams are reluctant to move their pieces.

Reactions: Kcb12345

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
No thanks from Toronto. Kapanen has been one of our best forwards this playoffs and honka wouldn't make the lineup because of polak

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Honka is not the type of defender Toronto needs. Value wise it’s fair but I think both teams pass. Dallas needs Honka to become part of their young defense and Kapanen should move up in the lineup after the UFAs depart this offseason.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
To Dallas: Kasperi Kapanen

To Toronto: Julius Honka

Dallas gets a slow-ish developing forward to help with scoring & Toronto gets a same-age Slow-ish developing defenseman.

Stars can afford to trade a defender and Leafs can afford to trade a forward. Seems like a fit to me.

Flame away
Honestly, I think you're spot on with your valuation.
While I'd love to have Honka, Kapanen's speed and defensive play is really needed on the Leafs.
Basically, if Lou did it, I wouldn't be upset but I don't think I'd do it if I was in charge.

Great proposal, though.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Honka puts up better transition numbers than Klingberg when he gets the chance to play and regularly looks like one of our better Dmen when actually given the chance and until Hitchcock tried to make him boring he produced at the rate Liljegren is doing in the AHL which has you guys gushing.

Kapanen hasnt shown more than Honka in the NHL. As a Dallas fan I am reluctant to do this because the thought of locking up our top 4 D at such a young age is super tempting. However looking at their careers so far and the fact that I dont really want to do it tells me that this is probably a pretty even deal

Last edited:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
ok thats fine. but leafs still say no to this deal. is Honka a top 4 dman? no. leafs wouldnt have any interest in this type of deal. they already have a bunch of guys that should be 3rd pairing/ should compete for 3rd pairing jobs next year (Hainsey,Polak,Borgman,Liljegren,Carrick,Rosen,Holl etc)
No one is going to give you a top 4 Dman for Kapanen tho...

Your best bet in landing a top 4 D man in return for Kapanen is trading for a a similar situation Dman who becomes a top 4 D man with the opportunity just like a team trading for Kapanen would be hoping he becomes a 2nd line winger given the opportunity.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Honka puts up better transition numbers than Klingberg when he gets the chance to play and regularly looks like one of our better Dmen when actually given the chance and until Hitchcock tried to make him bring he produced at the rate Liljegren is doing in the AHL which has you guys gushing.

Kapanen hasnt shown more than Honka in the NHL. As a Dallas fan I am reluctant to do this because the thought of locking up our top 4 D at such a young age is super tempting. However looking at their careers so far and the fact that I dont really want to do it tells me that this is probably a pretty even deal

This is irrelevant to the trade, but to support what you're saying, it would be really nice for our defense to develop into what the Preds have.

Heiskanen into Josi
Klingberg into Subban (although they're pretty different players obviously, but you get the point)
Honka into Ryan Ellis (actually very similar players and I'm a huge Ryan Ellis fan)
Lindell into Ekholm

Would be great if it all turns out well, but obviously this is just dreaming. I'm fine with where Klingberg and Lindell are at right now though so hopefully Heiskanen/Honka work out

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Don’t need another small offensive-minded defenceman.

No thanks. And to echo what others have said, KK is terrific. Can’t wait to see him on the third or maybe even second line next season with Bozak, JVR and Komarov likely being cut.

nhlfan1991

Apr 14, 2014
Defence is always worth more then a winger
Both are trying to find their place in the line up if anything Toronto adds a 3rd or 4th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad