Post-Game Talk: Toronto barely loses to carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
IF we went deep, we can always swap guys in/out if required.

I don't think initially he will have a big issue, the college games are spaced pretty nicely.

Also didn't seem to struggle with the tighter (but not as tight as NHL) schedule of the Olympics.

We're kinda speculating though until we see him with the big club.
Minnesota advanced too so he will only have 3 games before playoffs to gel

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Screen shot meaning you didn't have a clean look at the puck and not the case in this situation.

Murray gave a bad rebound and a miscommunication/confusion between rielly, nylander and bunting...
Partial screen is the term when there are players in front of you but not fully in the way. It affects the save selection. Murray had to be aware of that on the save.
Could he have absorbed it? Maybe but he didn't. Should aho have been left alone, no.
A no vs a maybe. One was a mistake the other a situational result.
Had Murray let in the point shot, then that would have been on him.

Reactions: Petrus

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Your rant makes no sense, first, Tanner Jeannot has been such an addition that Lightening fans have done nothing but complain about him. They are on a 4 game losing streak and he got all of 6 minutes of ice time yesterday. And Bo Horvat's new scoring prowess has translated to 5 goals in the 22 games he's played since being traded. As an Islander, he's pacing for something like 38 points in a full season.

We have yet to see the payoff from ROR, who is known to perform in the post season. And we are a far more difficult team to play against with Accari, Lafferty and McCabe than Engvall, Anderson and Sandin.

Our biggest issues have been inconsistent goaltending and the play of Rielly, and to a lesser extent, Liljegren.

And in reference to you bringing up age, Gary Roberts was 35 when he was p/pg for us through 19 games in 01-02, and just absolutely bossing the opposition.
Not sure who the player was who was being referred to, but in all fairness, Roberts was a workout freak.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Yep, all part of Shanahan's plan to keep our Leafs from winning anything. He tolerates Dubas maintaining team weaknesses for a reason. He is an NHL moll designed to keep our Leafs from winning.

This is my theory as to why our Leafs are just good enough to make the playoffs but have too many weaknesses to go all the way.

Just watch how fast Shanahan is re-hired by the NHL once MLSE fires him!!!
Just because someone is rehired quickly by the NHL doesn’t mean that person is a genius. To me, Shanahan has always had that “deer caught in the headlights” look about him. Unless the Leafs go deep, he and Dubas need to go. The only way I would even consider keeping them, is if major changes to the core were made.

Reactions: Al14

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The avs had the best d corps in the league and a superstar on an insane discount we have neither

I agree.. we really got screwed by our stars not breaking out after they signed. Also... Nylander is on a discount if we use it like that.

their D corp is better, our forwards are likely better... their goalie was bad.

I just hate the saying because it isn't true.

Reactions: rocketman588

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
He was skating hard and had nine shots (most set up by Willy), but he didn't score, was bad at faceoffs, and gave the puck away with bad passes many times.

It seems that lately if he gets the puck on his stick it usually results in either a goal, a save, or a turnover.
Lately also if you look back at some important goals for opposing teams the goal scorer usually starts with beating JT or JT making mistakes.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Partial screen is the term when there are players in front of you but not fully in the way. It affects the save selection. Murray had to be aware of that on the save.
Could he have absorbed it? Maybe but he didn't. Should aho have been left alone, no.
A no vs a maybe. One was a mistake the other a situational result.
Had Murray let in the point shot, then that would have been on him.

If the shot goes in his right yeah maybe it can affect the way hes react but not on opposite side where the shot was and had no risk or deflectiom

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Carolina sucked tonight. Unfortunately, so did Murray.
Never Toronto played extremely well tonight, Toronto just got lucky the other team was bad tonight eh. Murray needs to find a way to keep a couple of those out, can't expect the team to put up 5 goals everynight he's in net.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Rielly, my god no player has fallen off the cliff as quickly as Rielly, at this point is he even a #4?

That 3rd goal , WTF was he doing , he was headed towards the blue line in the high slot area and his guy, who scored BTW, is 10 feet behind him wide open.

It's like Sandin's ghost has possessed Riellys body. If I'm Keefe, I'm sticking Rielly in defensive crap minute situations until he gets the point that a defenceman plays DEFENCE occasionally. Like I tell Rielly, your partner will drive the play you stay back and support him defensivly, you are not to pinch, go down low, if I see you within 10 feet on the faceoff dots on the offensive zone you are going to be benched. This is not an overreaction when I say this, when he is on the ice he is like a fourth forward for the opposing team., there is nothing currently in his game that helps our team..

He wants all the glory of a #1 and none of the dirty boring hard down low work that makes a #1 a #1. If he plays any meaningful minutes in the playoffs, we lose in round one.

I also wonder if the primary puck carrier is getting overcoached by Keefe and friends with complex permutations of pinch/don't pinch, how far to go down the half wall, maybe overload behind the opposition net, support a regroup, look for the stretch pass, buy time for a forward to circle back for a bump back and other fussy 'optimizations.'

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If the shot goes in his right yeah maybe it can affect the way hes react but not on opposite side where the shot was and had no risk or deflectiom
How was there no risk of deflection when the puck passed 4 bodies and the Canes forward had his stick directly in the path of the puck?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326_095046_NHL.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326_095046_NHL.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 3

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Carolina sucked tonight. Unfortunately, so did Murray.

Carolina sagged a lot in the second period, but in combo with the early 5 on 3 PP to start the game they swarmed the hell out of the Leafs and dominated shots like 17-4 or something like that at one point. They have a lot of straight line speed and length and they were all over the 200 feet of ice. Thought the Leafs played well, but Carolina played well as well.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
How was there no risk of deflection when the puck passed 4 bodies and the Canes forward had his stick directly in the path of the puck?

A goalie who reacting of possibility of deflection unstead of being focus on direct shot are just trash and have no futur in NHL...

A goalie always need to play a direct shot and expecting one timer... they just CANT expecting deflection. He they doing ot, they will sucks

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
All Murray had to do is keep his skate against the post on that third (?) Carolina goal and it changes the entire game trajectory. Terrible goal to give up. He made the save, made the right play then gave up on it for some reason. Reminds me of Andersen in that series against Washington where he made a nice save then insanely stood up with the puck between his pads leaving it for a Washington player to poke in.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
All Murray had to do is keep his skate against the post on that third (?) Carolina goal and it changes the entire game trajectory. Terrible goal to give up. He made the save, made the right play then gave up on it for some reason. Reminds me of Andersen in that series against Washington where he made a nice save then insanely stood up with the puck between his pads leaving it for a Washington player to poke in.

Brings back great memories ...

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
A goalie who reacting of possibility of deflection unstead of being focus on direct shot are just trash and have no futur in NHL...

A goalie always need to play a direct shot and expecting one timer... they just CANT expecting deflection. He they doing ot, they will sucks
They have to factor it in. That will affect their positioning and save selection. This is what makes a good goalie.
Obviously we will have to agree to disagree on this point.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
They have to factor it in. That will affect their positioning and save selection. This is what makes a good goalie.
Obviously we will have to agree to disagree on this point.

You CANT positionning yourself in case of a deflection. They are no goalie in NHL who doing it... they positionning themself to stop direct shot or anticipating pass.

Good goalie will make save on deflection most of the time because theyre already in great position in his net or reflex and not because he anticipated the deflection.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Mathew’s looked about as dominating as he ever has been in last nights game. Could’ve scored 5 easy.
That was certainly the one big positive. He was on a bit of a mission. Let’s hope he keeps it rolling.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You CANT positionning yourself in case of a deflection. They are no goalie in NHL who doing it... they positionning themself to stop direct shot or anticipating pass.

Good goalie will make save on deflection most of the time because theyre already in great position in his net or reflex and not because he anticipated the deflection.
You can absolutely calculate it in your positioning. Usually a goalie will try to position themself closer to the possible deflection to limit the amout of deflection and increase the chance of the puck hitting them.
If they are worried about a pass they will play deeper in the net, if not they will challenge the shooter by coming out of the crease.
A goalie has to be aware of all these things.
If you want to pick a goal that wasn't good pick the one where Murray stopped the wrap around then took his foot off the post. That was a mistake

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Jesus Christ you people are insufferable sometimes. The sky is not falling. That was not a must-win game. They lost a meaningless March game against someone that they have already beat twice and yet THIS is the measuring stick game? They likely don’t see Carolina again this year so it’s not even like this was a message game. And yes maybe Keefe’s decisions don’t make sense but I’d rather him play around with pairs and lineup decisions in these games and know what he has come playoff time rather than trying to figure it out when shit has hit the fan. My biggest issue last year was that he never tried any other combos until it was too late and never gave different lines enough of a run together and then when there were injuries (Bunting, Tavares the year before), the team was in disarray because they had never played together. It’s fine to lose here and there. They’re playing legitimately good hockey again after a post-TDD dry spell. Brain farts will happen as players adjust to playing with new people but they will learn from it and hopefully not repeat those mistakes as they figure out who is most comfortable with who. Biggest concern is definitely Murray’s inconsistent play and the sharp decline in Liljegren. Maybe the lack of offence from Lafferty isn’t great either. Otherwise, things look good.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
You can absolutely calculate it in your positioning. Usually a goalie will try to position themself closer to the possible deflection to limit the amout of deflection and increase the chance of the puck hitting them.
If they are worried about a pass they will play deeper in the net, if not they will challenge the shooter by coming out of the crease.
A goalie has to be aware of all these things.
If you want to pick a goal that wasn't good pick the one where Murray stopped the wrap around then took his foot off the post. That was a mistake
No you CANT, if you put yourself in position for deflection, youre not in great position for direct shot and increasing drastically chance of allowing a goal... chance of being beat by direct shot is much more higher than from a deflection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad