Post-Game Talk: Toronto barely loses to carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Lafferty was the proof needed that Dubas homers are biased and the we need hitZZZ Dubas haters are also biased. Anyone who can throw a hit gets over rated here, and the Dubas homers will abandon the advanced stats and make up a bunch of random reasons why Lafferty was the best depth add of the season. I can only last 2 minutes here before dropping the gloves and getting a message from the Troll Stomper :laugh::laugh::laugh:
That is one group you're not allowed to criticize. Ask me how I know.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No you CANT, if you put yourself in position for deflection, youre not in great position for direct shot and increasing drastically chance of allowing a goal... chance of being beat by direct shot is much more higher than from a deflection
Screenshot_20230326_132201_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm not sure you're argument is founded in fact. Murray was positioned for the shot and came out to ameliate the possible deflection. These adjustments affected his save selection which likely caused the rebound. This is a good offer sive tactic as you hear all the time. Nobody in front of the goalie allows for an easy save and the goalie just vacuums up the puck.
This isn't news. This is 101 stuff.
I've said before that we will have to agree to disagree and that's the last I will say on it with you.
Have a good Sunday.
Screenshot_20230326_132201_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
And who help to created leafs 3 goal?

1st goal he skating at blue line and created space for Jarnkrok to tske a great shot

2nd goal : he joined the rush with nylander in a 3v2 but nylander pass bounce back on Matthews stick

3nd he skate right in middle of defensive box, took a great shot who gave an opportunity to buntin lg and matthews to get the rebound...

Rielly had a fantastic game and help to provide 3 goal and people still trash talk him because he made 1 mistake. Just amaizing how leafs fan ignore the complete game to only take in consideration 1 play...
That’s a fair point but it’s Rielly’s lack of defensive awareness that is dumbfounding. He had a good offensive game tonight but made bad decisions at critical times in his own end. The bottom line for me is his poor defensive play outweighs his offensive contribution. A veteran 10 year player who is paid to be a number one dman needs to know how to defend and put in the effort to do so. Most of the time he seems to prefer to float around the dzone looking to grab a loose puck and go instead of playing defense.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I agree to an extent. All factors come into play. It's really easy to sit here watching on a screen and say things but reality is different.
In that split second Murray has to track the puck, keep an eye on all the players and expect deflection. All these factors will affect his positioning and save selection.
Aho being wide open is the questionable play here and that looks like a decent screen to me
View attachment 676329
How can neither Lilly or Rielly be anywhere near their own net? Especially with Tavares being the centre out there with them. Is this Keefe’s system of defending or are they out of position ? Looks to me like four of the five players were cheating for offense. This is not how to play shutdown hockey and win tight games in the playoffs. High risk hockey doesn’t win championships.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
How can neither Lilly or Rielly be anywhere near their own net? Especially with Tavares being the centre out there with them. Is this Keefe’s system of defending or are they out of position ? Looks to me like four of the five players were cheating for offense. This is not how to play shutdown hockey and win tight games in the playoffs. High risk hockey doesn’t win championships.
Lili to his credit picked up the puck carrier and drove him wide protecting against the wrap around, forsed the pass to the blueline then started to circle back when he reached the faceoff dot.
Rielly for some reason chose to leave the slot to chance the pass to the blue line.
Imo this was the big error. It happens but limiting it from happening is key. Defensemen should stay at home in the defensive zone because, agreed, high risk hockey does not win championships

Reactions: Ports

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I mean I'm hopeful they can go all the way but I don't see any way we beat Boston in round two

The 1996 Red Wings lost in the conference finals to the Avalance.

The 2nd round could be like the conference finals in terms of the two top teams going at it.

If we just win round 1 we can start to dream.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
The 1996 Red Wings lost in the conference finals to the Avalance.

The 2nd round could be like the conference finals in terms of the two top teams going at it.

If we just win round 1 we can start to dream.
I always dream at the start of playoffs knowing fully that it will turn into a nightmare at the end. Lol.

Reactions: authentic

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
You are right about the in shape thing. He came back from injury and just looks sluggish in his skating. I noticed he would push off one foot but didn't have the mobility he used to. That's definitely one factor.

He's also brain dead & unable to play D

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Lets play a game it's like Where is Waldo but its called Where is Morgan's man? AKA where is Carolinas best goal scorer? AKA where was Morgan headed two seconds before that screen capture? AKA who is out of position on that play? Lilly and Morgan SHOULD NEVER play together, they have proven that does not work.

n

Keefe is a coddler unfortunately.

He’s been handed the keys to a super car but he does not know how to use the manual gearbox.

ITS MORE LIKE HE DOSENT KNOW HOW TO START IT!

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
That’s a fair point but it’s Rielly’s lack of defensive awareness that is dumbfounding. He had a good offensive game tonight but made bad decisions at critical times in his own end. The bottom line for me is his poor defensive play outweighs his offensive contribution. A veteran 10 year player who is paid to be a number one dman needs to know how to defend and put in the effort to do so. Most of the time he seems to prefer to float around the dzone looking to grab a loose puck and go instead of playing defense.

If you watch the play carefully, maybe outside of JT... everybody was out of position

Bunting lost the inside of aho forcing rielly to.move up on Aho
Nylander around the board 1000% passive

I cant only blame rielly in that play, i see easily 5 player making a mistake
View attachment 676396
I'm not sure you're argument is founded in fact. Murray was positioned for the shot and came out to ameliate the possible deflection. These adjustments affected his save selection which likely caused the rebound. This is a good offer sive tactic as you hear all the time. Nobody in front of the goalie allows for an easy save and the goalie just vacuums up the puck.
This isn't news. This is 101 stuff.
I've said before that we will have to agree to disagree and that's the last I will say on it with you.
Have a good Sunday. View attachment 676396

1- Normally when youre in good position for direct shot, you will be for deflection too

2- the most dangerous shot is ALWAYS direct shot..You cant anticipate deflection butyou can adapt your positionning when you see a deflection.

In pratically 90% of the time during a shot, they re a chance of deflection... they just cant overthink about deflection and overreacting about deflection all the time... they gonna suck hard

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Yeah, I realize that wasn't clear.

Either he takes a shot or he turns the puck over. Not much in the way of passing, particularly in the offensive zone.
Not sure that's fair.....7 assists in his last 5 games and 42 on the season

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not sure that's fair.....7 assists in his last 5 games and 42 on the season
Getting assists doesn't necessarily mean he's making good plays.

Nothing last night. The game before the assist to Willy was losing the puck behind the net and Willy taking it out front and scoring, and the assist to Kerfoot was a pass that hit a defenceman and bounced right to Kerfoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad