torino 2006!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
any news about NHL partecipation at the next olympics??
Something like 1year ago there was a lot of pessimism, but in the last months i read posts where it looked like NHLers were going to be there..
am i missing any positive news? I know the current priority for the league is the new collective bargaining agreement and that a final decision will be taken later, but i'd like to know which are the last related news/rumors (I really hope NHLers will go!).

Thanks a lot!

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
OK, i know this is WJC time and that the next clash between hockey superpowers will be at the 2004 world cup, but i want just a few replies to understand which is the current feeling about the chances of NHL partecipation at the next Olympics.
C‘MON guys!! Let me know…

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The head of the Finnish hockey federation, Kalervo Kummola, said in an interview in Finnish hockey mag Kiekkolehti, that he doesnt' expect to see NHL players in Torino 2006. At a IIHF congress in late September, some NHL "insiders" including Bob Goodenow were also present. Goodenow was then 100% sure of a lock out and a long one at that. Kummola himself was also sure of a lock out. But he also said that if there's no play in the NHL 04-05, it would mean that the players would be allowed to play at the 2005 WC in Vienna. So start creating your "dream teams" for that tournament.

nucks2001

The IOC suggested at one point that if the NHL wants to be in Vancouver for 2010, they better be in Turin Italy for 2006

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Jussi said:
The head of the Finnish hockey federation, Kalervo Kummola, said in an interview in Finnish hockey mag Kiekkolehti, that he doesnt' expect to see NHL players in Torino 2006. At a IIHF congress in late September, some NHL "insiders" including Bob Goodenow were also present. Goodenow was then 100% sure of a lock out and a long one at that. Kummola himself was also sure of a lock out. But he also said that if there's no play in the NHL 04-05, it would mean that the players would be allowed to play at the 2005 WC in Vienna. So start creating your "dream teams" for that tournament.

Thanks for the info, even if these are really bad news to me.

As for the dream teams in WC 2005, i think it wouldn't be the same thing. The players are much more interested and motivated to play to win the gold in the Olympics than to win another WC title so the competition would't be as exciting as in 2006.

And more importantly to me, i would have many more chances to see live the Games in Turin than the WC in Vienna.. :cry: :dunno: :cry:

BCCHL inactive

nucks2001 said:
The IOC suggested at one point that if the NHL wants to be in Vancouver for 2010, they better be in Turin Italy for 2006

That's the way I think the NHL feels as well. They are going to want to be at Vancouver 2010, so there is really no point on skipping out on Torino 2006.

BCCHL inactive

womenshockeyfan said:
Even though I don't think professionals belong at the Games I don't think there is any turning back now.

I think it's great that professionals are allowed to compete. The Olympics is not about who makes money and who doesn't...it is about who is the best at what they do.

The only Olympic sports (summer and winter) that I can think of where there are professionals, are hockey, figure skating, basketball, soccer and baseball. (If there are any others, feel free to add them)

Why should the best athletes of these sports be banned from the Olympics when sports like track and field, rowing, bobsledding, skiing, etc....get to send their best athletes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad