Confirmed with Link: [TOR/WPG] TOR trades Par Lindholm to WPG for Nic Petan

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
It is nice he scored, but lets not overstate things. This is a 4th liner (admittedly one that fits the Leafs 4th line ethos of speed and skill over physicality). Fans shouldn't be setting themselves up for another Jiri Tlusty situation by overhyping a bottom-line player having a hot start.

Bottom line (no pun intended) is, he cannot be worse than Lindholm

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Doesn't seem to be able to control the puck like Ennis but need to give him some regular games imo before judging.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
so players are either big and slow or small and fast ?

i guess Dubas really ****ed up signing the big and slow Mathews for 11m plus dollars
It means you have to be able to think independently and assess your own talent. There's no reason you can comprehend what he was meaning. With out making it childish.

Reactions: kb

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Par Lindholm and Josh Leivo for Trevor Moore, Nick Petan and Michael Carcone is a pretty good adjustment for the lower lineup in season.

One thing Dubas is getting a rep for his ability to find depth cheap forward depth that fits. Both his stint as GM, and even back as Acting GM.

Parenteau, Winnik, Matthias, Boyes, Ennis, Moore, Petan. Probably Marchment at some point.

Whether we have Petan, Moore or Ennis around Gauthier it creates a fast, feisty line. Can feast on other fourth lines.

You can say what you want about Babcock, but one thing I’ve loved is how he hasn’t hesitated to use small skill guys on his fourth line. It’s something he struggled with in DET, and past few TOR coaches struggled with. Babcock bought into what Dubas was selling there.

Dubas needs to focus on doing that with the defense this summer. Find some cheap, efficient players that have fiestiness in their game. Don’t give me Marincin, and Holl as the 7/8’s next season.

Reactions: Mitchy

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I hope Petan tears it up for you guys to show our coaches how poorly he was managed here. Best of luck to him. He’s an extremely heady player who may need to fine-tune his game after being health scratched so many times. But I still think he has the toolbox, and now the motivation, to get his game to the next level.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I hope Petan tears it up for you guys to show our coaches how poorly he was managed here. Best of luck to him. He’s an extremely heady player who may need to fine-tune his game after being health scratched so many times. But I still think he has the toolbox, and now the motivation, to get his game to the next level.

Think sometimes it's what you're trying to build. The Leafs have four flying lines, but that doesn't mean Komarov isn't a perfect player for the Islanders system. Petan might fit into the Leafs's way of doing things. Could be Petan was never going to fit whatever they're trying to do in Winnipeg.

Reactions: unitedstars87

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
So I'm probably in the minority but despite his goal, I don't think he'll make it in the NHL (at least on the Leafs).

He's too slow for his size. If you're going to be a small player, you better be an above average skater and Petan is below average.

He might have a better chance making it as a centre (kind of like Kadri) but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for him.

Trevor Moore though. What a step up on the goal. That dude is a player.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Petan's development curve seemed to peak around 2013 -- his draft year -- which is weird.

I wonder if he had some personality/character/motivation issues. Perhaps being the top draft-year WHL scorer, and still going in the 2nd round, didn't really sit well with him.

I do like this pickup. I think there's some potential upside here that definitely wasn't there in Par.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
BE5F932A-69AC-4CAA-8FE8-4ABC00C02A20.jpeg

Holding.

I guess grabbing heads is fine if it's a Leaf

Reactions: dsred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad