Confirmed with Link: [TOR/STL] Leafs (retain $200k ?) trade Carl Gunnarsson and 94th pick for Roman Polak

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=455948

Left-handed shots, Rielly and Gardiner were both forced to play the right side often last season – nearly the entire season for the rookie – due to the rarity of right-handed defenders on the Toronto defence (Gardiner, specifically, struggled with the change and eventually had to move back to the left).

The addition of the 6-foot-1, 227-pound Polak will ease that glut and allow more options for Carlyle.

The Blues, who ranked third in the league defensively a year ago, employed Polak in shutdown capacities as well as on their second-ranked penalty kill. He was known in St. Louis as a fierce, physical competitor willing to play through injury. The 28-year-old, who has two years remaining on a five-year contract ($2.75 million cap hit), led the Blues defence in hits and finished second in blocked shots.

"He's a tough guy to play against," Nonis said of Polak, picked in the sixth round of 2004 Draft. "If you look at the minutes he plays he often plays against team's top players. He is very physical, he's very strong. I think there's a perception that because he's so big he's not mobile, I don't think that's true at all. We think that one of his strengths is his skating ability. He's going to provide a little bit of edge."

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Totally okay with this.

Seems like toronto made a sideways swap for a more physical defenseman who can play on the opposite side. Covered a bit of salary, threw in a nothing pick. Happy with this.

We have lots of skill on our defense with reilly and gardiner. With franson likely gone we needed another big body to play on the right side.

Not a home run, but a move that will pay dividends. Likely a request from Carlyle for a solid #4 defenseman that wont be a defensive liability and can play on the right side.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

HonestHockey*

People seriously think Gardiner can play anywhere near a first pairing? Jesus Christ this fan base.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Totally okay with this.

Seems like toronto made a sideways swap for a more physical defenseman who can play on the opposite side. Covered a bit of salary, threw in a nothing pick. Happy with this.

We have lots of skill on our defense with reilly and gardiner. With franson likely gone we needed another big body to play on the right side.

Not a home run, but a move that will pay dividends. Likely a request from Carlyle for a solid #4 defenseman that wont be a defensive liability and can play on the right side.

St. Louis should have thrown in a nothing pick.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
People seriously think Gardiner can play anywhere near a first pairing? Jesus Christ this fan base.

People are speculating based on what we have now.

Is there a better option currently? Not really.

Gunnarsson was Phaneuf's partner, but not a top pairing defenseman. Still, I will miss the guy.

I don't really like the trade but it does make sense positionally in terms of right vs. left side.

Seems like a lot to give up. I would have thought Gunnarsson for Polak was pretty even, if not in favour of Gunnar...but then to add a pick and retain a bit of salary...something seems off.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I wonder if this means that the Leafs are making a big play in FA or via trade to bring in a partner for Phaneuf. There's no one on the Leafs right now (including Polak) who is a reasonable solution to the #2 spot that just opened up with the Gunnar trade. I don't think any guy has shown that he's ready to step up into that spot.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

What do you think he did in the last 20 games of the season? He was our best defender that put up 14 points during that span. Not to mention he averaged 22 mins per game for the season, isn't that top pairing to you? He's ready to take the next step and become our #2 D-man.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Totally okay with this.

This is what I think about the trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad