Confirmed with Link: TOR sign G Ilya Samsonov to 1 year, 1.8M deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I watched this highlight pack and got a bit scared. A lot of net swimming and being way out position in some plays. I hope he can find his game this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy Boucher

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
24 game difference... must be a motive here to not use something like /60

Strange !!

Here there is a +24 game difference between Mrazek and Samsonov and it bothers you, but in the Murray thread where he played 20 and Campbell 49 and there is a +29 game difference it doesn't seem to bother you at all when others make direct GSAx comparisons,

.. must be a motive here :wg:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Strange !!

Here there is a +24 game difference between Mrazek and Samsonov and it bothers you, but in the Murray thread where he played 20 and Campbell 49 and there is a +29 game difference it doesn't seem to bother you at all when others make direct GSAx comparisons,

.. must be a motive here
When we look at per-60 results in a Murray vs. Campbell comparison, it doesn't change the conclusion that Murray performed better. Murray had a +0.163 per 60, compared to Campbell's -0.049.

When we look at per-60 results in a Mrazek vs. Samsonov comparison, we arrive at a completely different conclusion than the one you attempted to spread. Samsonov performed better with his -0.307 compared to Mrazek's -0.668.

Reactions: Gallagbi
Mar 12, 2009
Strange !!

I'll defer to the expert on matters of "motive" when posting on the Leafs board...you're no stranger to selective stat usage lol.

Reactions: LeafChief

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Strange !!

Use GSAx/60 for them too, pretty sure Murray comes out ahead still.

/60 is a much better indicator when there is a gap in GP.

I just looked, Murray is positive, Campbell is negative, what's the issue?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He moves a little too much sometimes.

If he can reign it in a bit, he should see improvement in his numbers.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I watched this highlight pack and got a bit scared. A lot of net swimming and being way out position in some plays. I hope he can find his game this year.

Jesus that second sequence vs Buffalo he almost slides himself into the corner :laugh:

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I watched this highlight pack and got a bit scared. A lot net swimming and being way out position in some plays. I hope he can find his game this year.

I'm not too high on him tbh. He has sky-high potential if he can develop good fundamentals, but our goaltending system hasn't shown we can do anything with goalies.

Would love if we could get lucky in net for once. Have him find his game here and be the goalie people thought. Would land us a star 1G

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm not too high on him tbh. He has sky-high potential if he can develop good fundamentals, but our goaltending system hasn't shown we can do anything with goalies.

Would love if we could get lucky in net for once. Have him find his game here and be the goalie people thought. Would land us a star 1G
Yeah he's either going to be loved or hated. He's an insane athlete with size and draft pedigree, but his rebound control and ability to read the play are big issues. Most goalies his age don't magically learn fundamentals, but maybe we'll get lucky.

He's kind of like Mrazek stylistically, except Mrazek had a track record of success in the NHL and the Leafs brought in Carolina's defense coach to make him as comfortable as possible. At least this is a much cheaper bet

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

You can't teach size and athlecism .. between him and Woll we now have 2 bigger tenders with great 1 on 1 abilities .. but bottom line can one of them learn how to play angles and learn proper positioning????????????????? .. I don't have da answer for that one but I'd rather have 2 guys in system .. Murray is a total angles and positioning tender who has slowed down due to injuries but he has ability to make 10 bellers in playoffs which is what we need .. a tender who has already won da big game .. between da 3 of them we need 1 guy to emerge .. but agree we need new thinking and coaching and tender development .. Jon Elkin is one of best positional tender instructors in GTA .. I hope he is more involved this season as he is one of few guys i think who can do it

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

This has been the case but the Leafs did just overhaul the entire goaltending department. Doesn't mean they will fix Murray and Samsonov but anything is better than the garbage we've had over the past 30 years. Insane that we haven't developed a goalie capable of winning in the playoffs since Potvin.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

These highlights packs usually only show amazing saves on desperation chances , which is what you see here. Most of these highlights showed breakaway dekes, backdoor plays, onetimer and rebound saves. They don't tend to show routine stops and positional play.

If you want to see goalies overall positional play, you gotta watch isolation videos like this one.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
These highlights packs usually only show amazing saves on desperation chances , which is what you see here. Most of these highlights showed breakaway dekes, backdoor plays, onetimer and rebound saves. They don't tend to show routine stops and positional play.

If you want to see goalies overall positional play, you gotta watch isolation videos like this one.

Neither tell the whole story. That's ok. Let's see what he has when the season starts. We'll all know the real Samsonov after 4 or 5 starts.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Strange !!

Whats Murray v. Campbell's per 60 GSAX?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Neither tell the whole story. That's ok. Let's see what he has when the season starts. We'll all know the real Samsonov after 4 or 5 starts.
No of course not but the example I gave at least shows things like edge work, stance, lateral movement, positioning, tracking, rebound control etc to give people an idea of how a goalie plays. Highlight packs tend to only show one thing and that's athleticism, since they mostly only show desperation saves.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

This is very cool and gives a perspective you don't really see in a game unless you're solely focused on the goalie.

Thanks for posting!

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
No of course not but the example I gave at least shows things like edge work, stance, lateral movement, positioning, tracking, rebound control etc to give people an idea of how a goalie plays. Highlight packs tend to only show one thing and that's athleticism, since they mostly only show desperation saves.
Ok, but you could make the same video for Campbell. Campbell might show the same attributes, but eventually he tries a costly stick check.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

We have a new goaltending system

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

He tracks the puck well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad