Confirmed with Link: TOR sign G Aaron Dell [1 year, 800K]

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Ya never know. He is 28. Dubnyk didn't get a starters workload till he was 28. Bishop was 27. Thomas was like 32.

I think Campbell has all the tools If he can figure it out. He likely tops out as a a very good backup though.
Sure he has the potential, but why handcuff your team and put them in that position when you don't need to? That's quite the flier to take when you're in a win-now situation.

Reactions: Buds17

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Does he still have to pass through waivers to be on the taxi squad?

I believe so, and he could be claimed by Washington if that happens.

It likely means that the Leafs will have to put Hutch on the taxi squad, which is not ideal. It does mean that the Marlies could have a Woll-Scott duo next year though.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I believe so, and he could be claimed by Washington if that happens.

It likely means that the Leafs will have to put Hutch on the taxi squad, which is not ideal. It does mean that the Marlies could have a Woll-Scott duo next year though.

I don’t see how they can require that and ask for waivers.

what if goalies keep getting claimed?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

If they are claimed, they would have to be on the active roster.

If Dell is claimed by Washington, it is to be their backup, not on their taxi squad.

Not many teams are going to be claiming backup goalies right now, but Washington needs one now that Lundqvist is done likely for his career and they don't really have many alternatives. They could use Copley/Vanecek, but then they don't have anyone for their AHL team except Fucale and other below average options.

We just saw Minnesota sign Hammond because they are losing Stalock for a little bit.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Then you have to sign new ones. But anyone who claims a goalie has to put them on their NHL roster, not their taxi-squad. In practice this is not a real issue. It's not materially different than the regular case where you have to have 2 goalies on your NHL roster, 2 goalies on your AHL roster, and goalies have to clear waivers to go to the AHL.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If they are claimed, they would have to be on the active roster.

If Dell is claimed by Washington, it is to be their backup, not on their taxi squad.

Not many teams are going to be claiming backup goalies right now, but Washington needs one now that Lundqvist is done likely for his career and they don't really have many alternatives. They could use Copley/Vanecek, but then they don't have anyone for their AHL team except Fucale and other below average options.

We just saw Minnesota sign Hammond because they are losing Stalock for a little bit.

They could sign Jimmy Howard or Craig Anderson or Ryan Miller, there are plenty of options

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
They could sign Jimmy Howard or Craig Anderson or Ryan Miller, there are plenty of options

There are also plenty of teams who need goalies. Miller, Howard, Schneider and Anderson are the only guys who may be good enough to fill NHL roles, and we'd have to assume none of them decide to retire (the youngest is 34, so they are getting to the point in their careers where anything less than an ideal scenario is probably not worth the league minimum contract they would receive). Mike Condon is also out there, but he has been hurt and ineffective the past two years, and is likely done with his career.

- Miller probably does not want to leave California at this point, and Anaheim also needs a backup.

- The Islanders still need someone for their AHL squad and their taxi squad. Cory Schneider has been linked to them, and they will need to sign or trade for someone (if not 2 or 3 guys), because they simply do not have bodies in net right now.

- Chicago currently has Delia and Subban as their tandem. I highly doubt they are satisfied with that. Of course, one of them could be available on waivers as well if they sign someone, so they are options for Washington to take over Dell as well.

- Florida may still have interest in a goalie to put on their taxi squad and to compete with the good, but unproven, Driedger. It would also allow them to keep Montembeault and Desrosiers in the AHL.

There are other teams that may have interest in having one of these guys on their taxi squad/competing for an NHL backup job, so these remaining options could dry up rather quickly.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think that Dell will pass through. Unless its a ridiculous player that gets put on the waiver wire, I think a lot of players are not going to get claimed this year due to the whole two-week quarantine thing. Also its starting to look like the Caps are trying to fill that hole internally with the PTO of Anderson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad