Confirmed with Link: [TOR/OTT] Zaitsev, Brown, Carcone for Ceci, Harpur, Luchuk, 2020 CBJ 3rd Round Pick

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Should have tried harder to convince Ottawa that they also needed Sparks.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Senators acquire Zaitsev and Brown as Cody Ceci sent to Leafs in huge deal
Zaitsev asked for a trade at the end of the season and had to waive his “no move” clause to come to the Senators. It’s believed he agreed to the deal after having a heart-to-heart chat with Ottawa coach D.J. Smith last week. The two were together the last three years in Toronto and that’s a big reason why these talks started in the first place.

The deal had been in the works for the last two days and was all but completed Saturday, but had to wait until a $3 million bonus due to Zaitsev Monday was paid out along with another $500,000 collected by Brown. It made no sense for the Senators make the deal before the bonuses were due and every team in the league would have waited.

Last edited:

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
losing zaitsev barely moves the needle he is just not an important player. He also got too much credit for "shutting down Boston's top line". I know they made the finals but Boston's top line looked off for most of the playoffs and marchand in particular who was generally zaitsev's guy.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
losing zaitsev barely moves the needle he is just not an important player. He also got too much credit for "shutting down Boston's top line". I know they made the finals but Boston's top line looked off for most of the playoffs and marchand in particular who was generally zaitsev's guy.
they sure as hell looked alot better than whatever matthews line was. auston was scoring goals by himself basically.

kadri and nylander looked decent but didnt produce

this cap space was badly needed and its nice to see us not signing and dumb deals like florida did today

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

2 things don't make sense here....

That was Zaitsevs 2nd year in a row that the analytics had him being the most effective player against not just the Bruins but Marchand in particular.

Marchand didnt seem to have a problem destroying some guy named Brett Pesce in the next round.

Zaitsev left because literally no one gave him credit for anything while he was here...and everyone seems to want Pesce despite his disastrous playoffs against Boston.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The more I dig, the more intrigued I am. If nothing else he could be a bottom pair PK option.

Comments from a "Big Ben Harpur" thread on the Ottawa boards this past Sept-Dec
Nice mobility and solid passer for a big guy. Had some strong games for Ottawa, and some where he looked lost. I think he probably sits as a 3rd pairing, but you never know. Maybe if something clicks, he might sneak in as a #4.

He's bottom pair level now. I think he has some upside.

I’m optimistic that he will find his role and be a solid 5-6. He’s shown lots of upside before and I believe he will be fine.

IMO he could be a 3rd pairing D-Man in the NHL or he could play higher in the lineup if his size & toughness are required. He is a left shot but can play either side & spent one yr on the right side while playing with Englund in Belleville. If he continues to play well with Chabot & has the size & toughness to protect Chabot when required I would be fine with him playing on that first pairing more consistently. Or on the second pairing with Lajoie who could use someone with a little more toughness as a partner.

Given how much ice time Chabot gets I imagine that all of the defencemen get some ice time with him. Harpur has some offence to his game as well as he proved with Guelph & leading the rookie tournament in scoring one yr. He's a decent skater for his size & can play a tougher role, he just needs more experience to cut down on the rookie mistakes & become more confident in his role.

Shout out to harps. He's been playing really well recently, and our team has been better defensively this year while he's been in the lineup.
I'm a huge proponent of him being a potential too 4 D. He has the size, reach, and skating to go along with it. Recently he's been showing he can bring a real edge, too. If he can cut down on some mental errors and adjust, he could be really good.

He's turning out to be what we wished Cowen would become... Good for him. Keep it up Benny!

Guy has been a monster for a few games now. Love seeing him finally use his size and strength. Dude is a scary guy when he wants to bee.

BBH is gonna become one of my favourite players if he keeps beating the **** of people.

Reactions: Eb and kb

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Thank goodness Ceci and Spezza came over. With Marleau, Brown, Zaitsev and Gardiner gone I was afraid that we wouldn't have any whipping boys left.

Reactions: aragorn

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

He fell of a cliff after that though. Lots of players have a good few NHL games off adrenaline and tail off substantially. He’s one of them. Hopefully he rebounds with you guys tho!

Reactions: MyBudJT

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I wish we hadn't of given up Brown, when we could've traded him for a defenceman. He had two good years even if he was overpaid and had a terrible year last year.

I liked him as a person, and will miss him. I feel for his grandpa, who was a diehard Leafs fan. It surprised me to hear Dorion say Brown was the most excited to join the Senators.

Dorion's high praise of Zaitsev made me laugh though

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Harpur wasn’t developed properly here in Ottawa. I firmly believe he is a solid d-man and just needs proper coaching and support. I was a little disappointed that Ottawa gave up on him but I’m glad he’s going to a good situation and hope he comes into his own.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
they sure as hell looked alot better than whatever matthews line was. auston was scoring goals by himself basically.

kadri and nylander looked decent but didnt produce

this cap space was badly needed and its nice to see us not signing and dumb deals like florida did today

Kadri looked bad because he wasn’t playing most of the playoffs. Lol. He was a negative factor.

Reactions: kb

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The season opener should take on something extra with the more than handful of players that will experience what it's like to now be on the other side in the Battle Of Ontario.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Value-wise I'm fine with it. Not the pieces I'd go with, because I'm not a fan of Ceci. I guess they see upside in him, but Zaitsev is better than him right now. It's a wash in value though.

You also have to like Harpur. I like Harpur. I think he could be a solid #6, which is what he'll be for us (now that Rosen is gone). I would rather have a higher pick, but I can't complain about it.

I liked Carcone, but he's on waivers next year.

If the Leafs can sign Ceci for two or three years in the mid-3's, then this is a deal that can really work out for the Leafs. Even if Ceci has to be played as a #4/5 tweener, he plays up against better competition and his mistakes should be covered. If he can play as more than that, then this is a steal for the Leafs. A 'meh' downside with an 'amazing' upside is a good deal any day of the week in my books.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Cody Ceci addresses the media following his trade to the Toronto Maple Leafs on July 1st.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
2 things don't make sense here....

That was Zaitsevs 2nd year in a row that the analytics had him being the most effective player against not just the Bruins but Marchand in particular.

Marchand didnt seem to have a problem destroying some guy named Brett Pesce in the next round.

Zaitsev left because literally no one gave him credit for anything while he was here...and everyone seems to want Pesce despite his disastrous playoffs against Boston.
not that I am automatically right and you are automatically wrong, but earlier this year Auston Matthews returned from injury and after 10 games there was a discussion. Fans agreed he was playing poorly and struggling to find his game. But a few fans disagreed completely and thought he had been playing terrific, because that's what the analytics had told them. A few days later Auston Matthews had an interview and said he was not playing well and struggling to find his game. Personally I think the stat models I find used on here are questionable enough to begin with (they seem to be put together mostly by fans on their blogs) but a 14 game stretch I'm dead certain they are useless.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I stand by what I wrote in there.

Harpur does have some decent hockey IQ and vision, and can make a good pass out of the zone, and moves well for a big man.

The real problem is Ottawa. Changing coaches, changing systems, not investing in really developing our kids (especially the D) and throwing them into the NHL way too early. Both Harpur and Ceci still have the potential to be second pairing guys in the right situation.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Two teams are just going to wear the same jerseys when they face off next year

Toronttawa Maple Sens_2.png

Reactions: 4uston Matthews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad