Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Matt Martin for Eamon McAdam

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Martin's biggest contributions in Toronto were off the ice, being a mentor and leader to the young guys.

This is why the leafs really brought him here in the first place, and why Lou has traded for him now.

Timing was good for everyone.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
I'm thinking a graphic is in order...

The Leafs will never get Babcock.
The Leafs will never get rid of Phaneuf.
The Leafs will never win the lottery.
Auston Matthews is an average first overall pick.
Lou is a dinosaur who will do nothing to help.
Mitch Marner's game won't translate to the NHL.
Morgan Rielly isn't a top pair D.
Leafs won't make the playoffs for at least four years.
'Washington in 3'
Liljegren won't drop to the Leafs.
Marleau won't leave San Jose.
The Leafs did Lupul bad and will be punished by the league.
Leafs won't make the playoffs, again.
Letting Hunter go was a mistake.
Dubas has neither the experience or the connections to swim in these waters.
Leafs won't get Tavares.
Leafs will have to throw in a pick or retention to get rid of Martin.

Leafs will have to give up one of their young guns to stay under cap <--- you are here.
is there a way i can put this below my account so people can see it when I post?

this is beautiful

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I've finally calmed down abit but still very unhappy with this trade.. Makes no sense to me but whatever. Martin had so much value to this team but whatever, we just lost one of the most feared players in the NHL (and one of the most respected) for a ****ing backup goalie. Leads league in hits, can skate, can forcheck, fight, and strikes fear into the other teams.

Dunno why youre so worked up over this.

No amount of hitting or fists and licking back wouldve stopped The bergeron marchand pasta line from decimating our blue line and having a fire squad on Freddy.

The only difference maker was a gritty Skilled Plekanec making them unsettled.

Give 34, 29 few more years to get that man strength and courage. And give 16 a few more lbs of muscle for his courage is already there.

Our lines are now faster with greater backcheck. Our youngns will grow stronger.
We have an elite C in Taveres.

We can call up any goon in the AHL to throw fights at barely ELC.

This was the right move considering his price for fists was wayyyyy too much.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm thinking a graphic is in order...

The Leafs will never get Babcock.
The Leafs will never get rid of Phaneuf.
The Leafs will never win the lottery.
Auston Matthews is an average first overall pick.
Lou is a dinosaur who will do nothing to help.
Mitch Marner's game won't translate to the NHL.
Morgan Rielly isn't a top pair D.
Leafs won't make the playoffs for at least four years.
'Washington in 3'
Liljegren won't drop to the Leafs.
Marleau won't leave San Jose.
The Leafs did Lupul bad and will be punished by the league.
Leafs won't make the playoffs, again.
Letting Hunter go was a mistake.
Dubas has neither the experience or the connections to swim in these waters.
Leafs won't get Tavares.
Leafs will have to throw in a pick or retention to get rid of Martin.

Leafs will have to give up one of their young guns to stay under cap <--- you are here.

Are you taking suggestions?

I have one I'd like to see crossed out:

Leafs must acquire a defense stud to win anything meaningful.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009

That's a good one, even though I think there's an element of truth to it. I was hoping someone with good photoshop skills could make a graphic.

Also:

Leafs won't win a first round series.
Leafs won't make the conference finals.
Leafs won't come out of the east.
Leafs won't win the cup.
Matthews won't stay with the Leafs he will go to Arizona.
William Nylander is a winger.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wouldn't be surprised if we let Martin choose where he wanted to go (if there were indeed multiple suitors), if we had comparable offers to this. Those are the types of small gestures that are important when running an organization. If you really are happy with nothing in return, sending Martin back to where he previously players and his girlfriend is from (unless that changed) is much appreciated and gets good word of mouth.

This is a good move, and the type of small-cap space move that is useful.

Reactions: Lauro and ACC1224

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
listening to a NYI reporter on this podcast, he said there was upwards of 5-7 teams interested in Matt Martin

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
so we gained some cap space and got an AHL goalie. thats alright

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
I've finally calmed down abit but still very unhappy with this trade.. Makes no sense to me but whatever. Martin had so much value to this team but whatever, we just lost one of the most feared players in the NHL (and one of the most respected) for a ****ing backup goalie. Leads league in hits, can skate, can forcheck, fight, and strikes fear into the other teams.

You get it Froggy!....lots don't...once again oil and water are trying to be mixed in a Babcock coached team. Good things may turn bad quickly here if descention in the ranks set in, if it hasn't already, remember this is a Babcock coached team. Hope not.. too many worked too hard to build a new Leaf image...and have it torn down due to a guy who's moto is "its all about me".

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010

Umm... how many games was Martin a healthy scratch for down the stretch and playoffs?

I think you're highly overvaluing someone who spent a lot of time in the press box. If he couldn't crack the lineup last year, why would he make it this year? Even if he did, he'd be taking a younger guys spot (Leivo, Johnsson).

Martin did a good job mentoring the young guys (especially Marner) but his time here was done.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I don't believe we need a defensive stud to win it all (like if people are thinking Doughty/Karlsson/etc.)
But we do need a more consistent right side D upgrade.
Hainsey/Zaitsev/Carrick doesn't cut if for me.
If we keep Gardiner that's fine. Rielly/Gardiner/Dermott/Borgman is a fine left side D.
Our Kryptonite is right next door.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I don't believe we need a defensive stud to win it all (like if people are thinking Doughty/Karlsson/etc.)
But we do need a more consistent right side D upgrade.
Hainsey/Zaitsev/Carrick doesn't cut if for me.
If we keep Gardiner that's fine. Rielly/Gardiner/Dermott/Borgman is a fine left side D.
Our Kryptonite is right next door.
Ya no worries if the cap goes to 87 million after next season. If not? TRADE HIM NOW.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Umm... how many games was Martin a healthy scratch for down the stretch and playoffs?

I think you're highly overvaluing someone who spent a lot of time in the press box. If he couldn't crack the lineup last year, why would he make it this year? Even if he did, he'd be taking a younger guys spot (Leivo, Johnsson).

Martin did a good job mentoring the young guys (especially Marner) but his time here was done.

What on earth does leivo bring to this team that Mathews, Marner, Kadri, Marleau, Johnson, Tavares, Kapanen, Brown and Nylander doesn't already do??? I can tell you what Martin can bring that those guys combined can't.... and that is, stand up to Byfuglien or Lucic if they start messing with our team, lay out a huge hit when teams start getting chippy, our team doesnt have to fight a single battle of their own with martin.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
What on earth does leivo bring to this team that Mathews, Marner, Kadri, Marleau, Johnson, Tavares, Kapanen, Brown and Nylander doesn't already do??? I can tell you what Martin can bring that those guys combined can't.... and that is, stand up to Byfuglien or Lucic if they start messing with our team, lay out a huge hit when teams start getting chippy, our team doesnt have to fight a single battle of their own with martin.
It is hard to stand up for your team when you aren't even dressing to play...

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Martin was a healthy scratch. We just saved2.5 million per the next 2 seasons for a guy who would not play. It is hard to strike fear in opponents sitting in the pressbox.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad