Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NJD] Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
AJ was dealt for Joey Anderson, so the hope is that Anderson becomes a NHL player of some significance otherwise this whole thing turns out to be a net negative. Johnsson was a 20 goal scorer for the Leafs so it will be interesting to see if Joey Anderson can match that in time.
What do you think it would cost to re-acquire AJ? Feels like future considerations would suffice at this point, so I'd say we did well in this AJ deal

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Johnsson this year was a 10-20 point player, making $3.4mil, and there is a poster suggesting this was a questionable trade and Joey Anderson has to step up to make it an even trade? LOL

Sucks that he caught COVID and had a bad time with the asthma, but come on now. The fact that we got rid of that contract for nothing is a steal.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Andreas Johnsson makes $3.5 million and unsurprisingly hasn't lived up to that.

Joey Anderson is on a league-minimum deal and also hasn't lived up to that.

Who really cares at the end of the day.

Both are disappointments, but at least ours is cheaper.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Joey Anderson Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Toronto Maple Leafs | The Sports Forecaster

Ht/Wt : 5'11", 190 lbs.
Born : Jun 19, 1998 (23 yrs) in Roseville, MN
Experience : 2 years
Drafted : Drafted by New Jersey in 2016 (3/73).
Acquired : Acquired in a trade with New Jersey in 2020.
Shoots : R

Cap: $750,000

SCOUTING REPORT
Displays plenty of energy on the ice, and wins his fair share of battles in the corners at all levels. Complements talented forwards with aplomb and owns an excellent shot himself. Must prove capable of producing top-six winger numbers at the National Hockey League level. Will also need to add more bulk for longevity purposes in the NHL down the road.
Long Range Potential : Energetic, complementary winger with some upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sounds like a Kerfoot clone.
Excellent shot breaks the comparison for me haha

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I thought he scored very little for someone playing so much with top end players. I wanted him traded after his big year. The potential of AJ would have netted you a lot more than Joey did.
When he was stuck in the bottom 6 he had one of the better points/60 at 5 on 5 in the NHL from what I recall

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I was a big follower of Johnsson (and Connor Brown) from the days we had virtually no prospects but I think at his cap hit and the fact he provides us with what we have an abundance of, that theres no fit for him.

If he was retained on and we had no other options at LW I would consider it. Hes not as good as his 20 goal season but hes certainly not as bad as last season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Johnsson this year was a 10-20 point player, making $3.4mil, and there is a poster suggesting this was a questionable trade and Joey Anderson has to step up to make it an even trade? LOL

Sucks that he caught COVID and had a bad time with the asthma, but come on now. The fact that we got rid of that contract for nothing is a steal.

Remind me again who signed AJ to that contract?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Same guy who moved him the offseason after he blew out his knee.

Some would say thats a really shrewd move, especially for the value we got when comparing to his value today.

I expect my GM to have the foresight to know that a global pandemic is going to happen and ruin his asthmatic winger's breathing before he signs him to a contract.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I expect my GM to have the foresight to know that a global pandemic is going to happen and ruin his asthmatic winger's breathing before he signs him to a contract.
Even without that AJ is overpaid for his level of play, but our GM moved him before his play declined after a surgery.

Some would praise a move like that.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'll give Dubas full marks on this one. With the way the trade market was at the time of trading Johnsson - it's f***ing remarkable he didn't end up paying to have to get rid of Johnsson, in fact he got something back. Don't really care if Joey amounts to anything.

Reactions: Lumberg

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I suppose the foresight he should have had is spending 50% of his cap on 4 players and not planning for a rainy day. We (the wife and I) have a budget and we never spend our entire pay cheque before the next pay day. We always put money away for savings and I always have a buffer in my budget for unforeseen circumstances. There is a reason why owners wanted escrow in the 2006 CBA, they knew that just because revenues were on an upward trajectory, it does not mean that it is guaranteed. He should have planed to 10% below the Max cap limit, it's just good business. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Reactions: Lumberg

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I suppose the foresight he should have had is spending 50% of his cap on 4 players and not planning for a rainy day. We (the wife and I) have a budget and we never spend our entire pay cheque before the next pay day. We always put money away for savings and I always have a buffer in my budget for unforeseen circumstances. There is a reason why owners wanted escrow in the 2006 CBA, they knew that just because revenues were on an upward trajectory, it does not mean that it is guaranteed. He should have planed to 10% below the Max cap limit, it's just good business. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

I'm not talking about the flat cap, I'm talking about Johnsson getting sick with the virus and it ruining his already compromised lungs further. He isn't overpaid when healthy, and there was no way to expect the specific health issue that turned him into a 10 point guy.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010

Lou would have. He so experienced that he was working during spanish flu. That is the reason why he sells top4 dman every summer, just to show his ultimate ability to work around flat cap.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Dubas made a mistake with that contract imo but he minimized the damage to less than nothing with an extremely screwed trade

Sometimes its mot about the mistakes you make but your ability to recognize it was a mistake early and move off it

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm not talking about the flat cap, I'm talking about Johnsson getting sick with the virus and it ruining his already compromised lungs further. He isn't overpaid when healthy, and there was no way to expect the specific health issue that turned him into a 10 point guy.

He hasn't been healthy for more than 2 years. He had a great Calder trophy run then a good season, cashed in and has not live up to that contract since.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad