Proposal: TOR-NJ

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
To TOR: Miles Wood, Michael McLeod, Nathan Bastian
To NJ: Rodion Amirov, Pierre Engvall, Ilya Mikheyev

I think it works from a cap point of view if Bastian is put on LTIR.

Basically the premise for NJ is to cash in on the good season Miles Wood is having and get a future top 6 skilled winger like Amirov who they scouted heavily over the past few years. Engvall and Mikheyev are secondary pieces to make the cap work, they slot into NJ's bottom 6 to replace the departing McLeod and Bastian.

For Toronto is about getting bigger and more physical in preparation for their playoff run. I think most people know about Miles Wood's game but McLeod and Bastian has taken some good steps forward this year. They have been a lighting rod on NJ's 4th line and have been given PK time too. McLeod is a good defensive center that can win faceoffs. I think these two might appeal to Toronto going forward over the likes of Engvall and Mikheyev given their small cap hit, young ages and scope for improvement.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Id like to keep Michael McLeod

Miles Wood is also a player you keep but the Devils arent close enough to the playoffs, where he can serve a big purpose for a team.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
All of the players proposed are a whole bunch of meh. Sure they add size but both McLeod and Bastian are borderline bust/fringe NHLers.

Wood seems like Mikheyev. Haven’t seen him play enough but my guess is something more physical.

Amirov has a ton of upside and while Mikheyev hasn’t had ton of success on the scoresheet he has been snake bitten but plays a full 200 foot game and has a great motor. Engvall has been okay in his role and cost controlled.

sorry but no thanks

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Wood-McLeod-Bastian is an entertaining line. Why would we trade that entire line? They are all young and fast and physical and not to mention they would all require protection in the expansion draft. I don’t think this is a good trade for either team. It would be nice to get amirov somehow but this isn’t it.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Id like to keep Michael McLeod

Miles Wood is also a player you keep but the Devils arent close enough to the playoffs, where he can serve a big purpose for a team.

I wouldn’t have much of an issue with moving McLeod. I don’t really see him ever producing enough to be more than a 4C and Maltsev has been the better of the 2

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
All of the players proposed are a whole bunch of meh. Sure they add size but both McLeod and Bastian are borderline bust/fringe NHLers.

Wood seems like Mikheyev. Haven’t seen him play enough but my guess is something more physical.

Amirov has a ton of upside and while Mikheyev hasn’t had ton of success on the scoresheet he has been snake bitten but plays a full 200 foot game and has a great motor. Engvall has been okay in his role and cost controlled.

sorry but no thanks

I don't think it's a realistic package but I understand the OP's thinking as McLeod and Bastian have played better and had more impact than expected at a cost of < $1 million apiece. Problem is that it's just not quite enough and they're on the last years of their ELCs. If they had shown a little bit more and had another ELC year, then maybe the GM of an LTIR cap team would take a big swing.

I think Fitz would be wise to give them the Joey Anderson deal and try to get them for 3 x $1 million with only the third year a one-way deal. If they develop their games a little more and prove that they're reliable defensive forwards that add size and pop in some points here and there, they could have some good value to a cap team in a year or two.

Reactions: Peter Sidorkiewicz

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
from a Leafs perspective, I would take Mikheyev + Engvall over Wood as the two sides of that equation have about the same cap hit which matters a lot for a cap team that banked on inflation and didn't get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad