Proposal: (TOR-NJ) Kerby Rychel, Josh Leivo, Rinat Valiev, Tobias Lindberg for Picks

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Seeing how the leafs protected Leivo and he's impressed everytime up I doubt the leafs trade him

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Each of these guys are worth a 2nd round pick or so, maybe a bit less for Lindberg.

Bit less?

Lindberg MIGHT have returned a third when he was traded during the Phaneuf trade, he did have some attitude issues but had a lot of upside. Since then, he's struggled.

When regular NHLers with upside only return 3rd and 4ths, I doubt Lindberg returns that much. 4th or 5th most likely. IMO Might as well keep him.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Leivo is not trash. I'd much rather keep him than trade him for a second. Rychel and Valiev and Lindberg are pretty low quality players though

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Patrick Kane, Sam Gagner, Sergei Kostitsyn, Olli Maatta, Steve Mason, Vlad Namestikov, Nikita Zadorov. , mitch marner , N Kadri , BO horvat , Werenski , domi . and many more players . even tho most of these were in JRS hes picked many MANY! 1st line players top 6 , Top pairing D ECT . this guy is good at his job. stop this thread

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Leivo is better the Hyman, just defensively he makes mistakes. However, Hyman has struggled to get the puck out of the zone in key moments last year.

imo Leivo is the better player overall.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
If we went through all this trouble with Leivo, benching him in favour of Matt Martin the entire year, protecting him in the FD while losing Leipsec.

Just to get rid of him in a contract dump trade im going to lose it.

Leivo is better the Hyman, just defensively he makes mistakes. However, Hyman has struggled to get the puck out of the zone in key moments last year.

imo Leivo is the better player overall.

Hyman's our best defensive forward. If Leivo makes this lineup it has next to nothing to do with the play of Hyman.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
There is logic to the trading of AHL vets who appear fringe NHLers at best. The Leafs made a trade with Isles giving them "lots" of players because the Leafs had to get under the 50 player limit.

The Leafs junior graduates and the signing of at least 3 Europeans make the trade suggested possible.

My opinion Rychel is never be an NHLer. Valiev seems to play his best in the NHL, but I can't see him making the Leafs in 2019. And Leivo, he has been a pro for four years....maybe it's time to move on too.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Hyman's our best defensive forward. If Leivo makes this lineup it has next to nothing to do with the play of Hyman.

Komarov is our best and it really isn't close. Both at ES and on the PK.

As for Leivo, I'd rather keep him than move him for the 2nd. Whether he is waiver-wire eligible is irrelevant. He'll be our Corrado this year. Hopefully by next year, with some guys out the door, he'll finally get his real chance. IMO, it is a real disappointment he hasn't been given a fair shake. While Babcock has said as such, he's only performed admirably when he has played.

I'm a big fan of his game but his spot is firmly occupied by JVR as Babcock loves his utility players with speed.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
There is logic to the trading of AHL vets who appear fringe NHLers at best. The Leafs made a trade with Isles giving them "lots" of players because the Leafs had to get under the 50 player limit.

The Leafs junior graduates and the signing of at least 3 Europeans make the trade suggested possible.

My opinion Rychel is never be an NHLer. Valiev seems to play his best in the NHL, but I can't see him making the Leafs in 2019. And Leivo, he has been a pro for four years....maybe it's time to move on too.

The players proposed in the OP are better and are expected to be better than what we gave up in the Grabner deal.

Gibson, Finn, and Nilsson had already busted out at that point. Verhaeghe i was fairly high on but he was as much of question mark as any. Beck showed some NHL potential and at the time it was a tough give up but he didnt really have all that much potential to begin with.
Leivo has proved he's talented enough to play in the NHL. Rychel is better than those 5 players.
Im not going to act like ive seen enough of Valiev to have a real opinion on him but i know Keefe likes him.

If we're going to do a contract dump and get nothing back you dont do it with Josh Leivo.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Leafs protected Leivo so I can't see them waiving him. For the rest, why wouldn't we just wait until you waive them instead of giving up a 2nd? If we wanted to make sure we got one, sure we could send over a late pick, but not a 2nd.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Leafs protected Leivo so I can't see them waiving him. For the rest, why wouldn't we just wait until you waive them instead of giving up a 2nd? If we wanted to make sure we got one, sure we could send over a late pick, but not a 2nd.

Yeah 2nd makes no sense. I agree if the devils need a top 9/4thline forward sending us a mid late pick works. Leafs have too many nhl ready forwards and not enough spots.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Each of these guys are worth a 2nd round pick or so, maybe a bit less for Lindberg.

Rychel was acquired last year for a #7th D (so a 5th round pick) and another 5th round pick.

How can he has the value of a 2nd round pick?

Overvaluing much?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
need to figure out what the plans are with Komarov, JVR and Bozak before dealing Leivo and Rychel. Even if all 3 of those guys stay in the fold, the depth that Leivo/Rychel provide is probably worth more than stockpiling 2nd round picks. I hate to lose guys for nothing, but we'll need safety nets for injuries and regression, and I don't think teams are going to line up to give away 2nd/3rd round picks for those guys at this point

Rychel was acquired last year for a #7th D (so a 5th round pick) and another 5th round pick.

Overvaluing much?

FWIW- he was near pt/game in the last 2/3 of the AHL season. Not sure if someone would trade a 2nd for him, but there seems to be some cause for hope

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Overvaluing much?

This Leafs fan would would trade a 2nd round pick if we could get a center or d-man of Rychels calliber.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
The Leafs should be thinking about bundling a couple of one-way contracts with a couple Marlies prospects to Las Vegas for one of their non-waivers exempt defenceman and a pick.

Something like:

Toronto:
Fehr
Smith
Lindberg
Soshnikov

Las Vegas:
Deryk Engelland or Jon Merrill
2nd round pick

This reduces the Leafs contracts by 3, shaves money off their cap and provides them a depth d-man who can be buried with the Marlies.

Las Vegas gets to convert a, non-waiver exempt, surplus defenceman into veteran center depth (Fehr and Smiith) and Soshnikov who is NHL ready (but still has a few games of waivers exemption left) and is a great penalty killer.

Last edited:

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I don't know, in a world where Curtis Lazar nets a 2nd round pick, I think anything is possible.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I like Lindberg and Rychel some, I think Lindberg would be a nice guy to add to attempt to add some size on our bottom six. That being said it's a Sabres/Leafs trade which may be a no go.

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
I like how pumped he seems when he scores. Hope to see him fit in somewhere and see that more often

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
The Leafs should be thinking about bundling a couple of one-way contracts with a couple Marlies prospects to Las Vegas for one of their non-waivers exempt defenceman and a pick.

Something like:

Toronto:
Fehr
Smith
Lindberg
Soshnikov

Las Vegas:
Deryk Engelland or Jon Merrill
2nd round pick

This reduces the Leafs contracts by 3, shaves money off their cap and provides them a depth d-man who can be buried with the Marlies.

Las Vegas gets to convert a, non-waiver exempt, surplus defenceman into veteran center depth (Fehr and Smiith) and Soshnikov who is NHL ready (but still has a few games of waivers exemption left) and is a great penalty killer.

You've got the right concept, but there would need to be some slight changes. Once Schmidt signs, we'll be at 43 contracts - but remember we're sharing an AHL team this season, so we have limited spots to put all of our non-NHL players.

First off, I don't see us giving up our picks - we're trying to accumulate as many as possible, not trade them away. Engelland probably stays from a PR perspective, and I think Merrill will get a chance in Vegas. The expendable d-men are Sbisa, Stoner and McNabb.

Smith has no value to LV, and Fehr likely has very little as well. I'm the Vegas fan that wants Lupul, and I'd definitely be interested in guys like Soshnikov, Timashov and Johnsson. I'd rather let Lindberg get a chance to rebound with the Marlies.

If you want to make another trade proposal where you unload some contracts for Sbisa/McNabb/Stoner, I'm listening...

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
You've got the right concept, but there would need to be some slight changes. Once Schmidt signs, we'll be at 43 contracts - but remember we're sharing an AHL team this season, so we have limited spots to put all of our non-NHL players.

First off, I don't see us giving up our picks - we're trying to accumulate as many as possible, not trade them away. Engelland probably stays from a PR perspective, and I think Merrill will get a chance in Vegas. The expendable d-men are Sbisa, Stoner and McNabb.

Smith has no value to LV, and Fehr likely has very little as well. I'm the Vegas fan that wants Lupul, and I'd definitely be interested in guys like Soshnikov, Timashov and Johnsson. I'd rather let Lindberg get a chance to rebound with the Marlies.

If you want to make another trade proposal where you unload some contracts for Sbisa/McNabb/Stoner, I'm listening...

Fehr and Smith are on one-way deals and Toronto is up against the cap right now so that is part of what the original proposal was trying to accomplish for the Leafs.

I think Johnsson is probably not on the trade block but maybe Timashov.
Sbisa, Stoner and McNabb all carry a cap hit for the Leafs even if they are buried with the Marlies. The Leafs would rather Miller or Schmidt for obvious reasons but how about Brad Hunt? He has played only 33 games total in the NHL spread out over the past four years. He has a cap hit that the Leafs could bury.

I think it would still need to be a 4 for 1 deal to make sense for the Leafs but I don't know if that works for Vegas and their shared AHL team.

How about:

Toronto:
Fehr
Smith
Soshnikov
Timashov

Las Vegas:
Hunt
Middle of the three LV 2019 2nd round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00