Proposal: (TOR-NJ) Kerby Rychel, Josh Leivo, Rinat Valiev, Tobias Lindberg for Picks

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Now I am curious about Rychel, I wonder what it would seriously take to pick him up, I know the best time for the Leafs to slide him into the AHL would be when a lot of teams are waiving players and sneak him through (Shero will pick him up if he has a spot though, same for Leivo).

Last edited by a moderator:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Leivo and Rychel are NHL-ready

For what it's worth I was really impressed with Leivo in the Jets / Leafs Feb-21st game. It's only one game but he seemed VERY noticeable; he had 2 assists, seemed to win every puck battle.
I'll leave it at that as I haven't seen him play enough.

But I recall thinking "who the %&@# is this guy?"

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Rychel and Leivo have a place on the Leafs. The Leafs will have players start to depart via free agency eventually and some of these guys on the outside will work their way up the lineup. The Leafs may refuse up to a 2nd for them. There is a place for them on the roster and some room is going to shake up next summer at the latest.

Lindberg and Valiev have definitely fallen behind a list of young players. They do have some upside remaining. A good season would put them back on the NHL radar, a bad one would probably send them on their way to Sweden/Russia. Their value is low. I'd say a 5th or 6th.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Now I am curious about Rychel, I wonder what it would seriously take to pick him up, I know the best time for the Leafs to slide him into the AHL would be when a lot of teams are waiving players and sneak him through (Shero will pick him up if he has a spot though, same for Leivo).

I would think that at least a third would be needed to get Rychel during the summer/before camp. But it's probably worth waiting until after camp and trying to scoop him up for a fifth if we're going to need to waive him.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
For what it's worth I was really impressed with Leivo in the Jets / Leafs Feb-21st game. It's only one game but he seemed VERY noticeable; he had 2 assists, seemed to win every puck battle.

Pretty much. Hes built and plays like Matthews lite. But there is not spot for him in the top 6 on the left side and he's not a bottom 6 player. He's got amazing advanced stats too(although small sample sizes).

Some leafs fan think he's good some great some even think he's meh and should be waived. But Imo he could be even better then jvr impact wise,not as many points but better alround game.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

some of us are pulling our hair out waiting for this guy to get a chance to stick in the lineup. Like for sure he could prove that what he did last year/so far in the NHL is a mirage, but you'd think that a guy putting up points at that rate and being one of the better possession players in the NHL would at least earn the chance to show if it's real

Pretty much. Hes built and plays like Matthews lite. But there is not spot for him in the top 6 on the left side and he's not a bottom 6 player. He's got amazing advanced stats too(although small sample sizes).

Some leafs fan think he's good some great some even think he's meh and should be waived. But Imo he could be even better then jvr impact wise,not as many points but better alround game.

Leivo needs an extended look to see if it's a mirage. I'll admit I'm a fanboy, but if what he did last year is even close to sustainable he's a very solid NHL'er.

I almost hope that he gets limited time again this year, gets a 3-4 year extension at super reasonable money, then draws in to a top 6 role next year. Ideal JVR replacement if what he did last year isn't a mirage - big enough and crafty enough around the net to be used in that capacity like JVR is, but better at everything else and a possession monster (again, if he proves that what he did last year is sustainable)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I almost hope that he gets limited time again this year, gets a 3-4 year extension at super reasonable money, then draws in to a top 6 role next year. Ideal JVR replacement if what he did last year isn't a mirage - big enough and crafty enough around the net to be used in that capacity like JVR is, but better at everything else and a possession monster (again, if he proves that what he did last year is sustainable)

It's important to note that games played by Leivo this upcoming season will be an important thing to follow. I don't believe I've seen it mentioned but he needs 39 NHL games to avoid becoming a group 6 UFA. Players 25 years of age or older, who have played less than 80 NHL games become UFA at the end of their contract. It's the reason Weal was UFA this year. Leivo will be 25 next May.

Leivo right now is probably an extra and may be the 2nd extra. It's entirely possible he doesn't get 39 games which would be unfortunate. But you'd think management knows this and assuming they want to hang onto him will get him the required 39 games.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I ain't trading Leivo if I'm Toronto's management. Babcock has to figure out he's actually really good and play him first though.

the problem is... where?

as of now he's not replacing any of the following: Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, JVR, Marleau, Brown, Hyman, Bozak and Moore.

that's 10 of 12 spots filled. Now pick 2:

Komarov, Kapanen, Martin, Leivo, Soshnikov.

best case scenario for Leivo is he sneaks on the 4th line. The more realistic scenario is he's brought up due to injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad