Confirmed Trade: [TOR/MIN] Connor Dewar for Dmitry Ovchinnikov, 2026 4th round pick

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Privilege hire Brad Treliving is masterful at landing players I couldn't care less about.
Dubas emptied the cupboards for years on end, what did people expect? The Leafs have no picks and only a few good prospects. The only asset to offer was/is Robertson, and he wasn't going to be valued as much more than a late 2nd round pick at this point. This team cannot continue bleeding assets, it's on the $40+ million invested up front.

Reactions: mclaren55

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Dubas emptied the cupboards for years on end, what did people expect? The Leafs have no picks and only a few good prospects. The only asset to offer was/is Robertson, and he wasn't going to be valued as much more than a late 2nd round pick at this point. This team cannot continue bleeding assets, it's on the $40+ million invested up front.
I agree, all the more reason to not give away picks for 7th and 9th defensemen. Treliving gave away six picks for guy that are basically waiver tier.

Treliving didn't help this team get better or worse so why burn six picks?

There is not plan. The guy doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

But his dad is rich so he had connections to land a job he sucks at.

genk

Nov 15, 2015

This is exactly right. The Leafs just burned six picks for such little benefit that they might as well have done nothing. These were moves for the sake of making moves.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Quality speedy 4th line Tyler Motte type and only 24, no idea why Minnesota dumped him for nothing but a nice pickup for Toronto.
Guerin gave NMC/NTC contracts to bottom six players like Foligno, Hartman, Gaudreau, they still owe 15M in cap penalties next year, so they seem to feel that even a slight salary bump to Duhaime and Dewar was not possible.

Reactions: MS

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Quality speedy 4th line Tyler Motte type and only 24, no idea why Minnesota dumped him for nothing but a nice pickup for Toronto.
Gotta stockpile that Draft capital.. never know when a late pick is gonna be the deciding factor. 😭

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
This is exactly right. The Leafs just burned six picks for such little benefit that they might as well have done nothing. These were moves for the sake of making moves.
Everyone has a boss. They can now show they went and got 3 players to try and improve the team. At the end of the day the owners want more playoff revenue.

I doubt they believe in this iteration of the team, so they are saving major assets for summer moves.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
keep him on the PK--he seems to get more shorthanded chances than the average player.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I agree, all the more reason to not give away picks for 7th and 9th defensemen. Treliving gave away six picks for guy that are basically waiver tier.

But his dad is rich so he had connections to land a job he sucks at.
You don’t know if they got better. No one knows yet how much they will contribute in the playoffs. But it would be stupid to not try and help them win by bringing guys in.

No it wasn’t. It’s always a good thing to have more depth on D when going into the playoffs.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Scouting report on Dmitri Ovchinnikov:

- Really good skater, both north/south and east/west
- Decent hands. Was both a playmaker and goal scorer in the mhl. Not really a sniper or shooter, but will crash the net or high danger areas if they're open
- Was used on both pp/pk in the mhl. He has the skating to pk for sure
- At the khl level, he has struggled to translate his skill but that may be due to poor development as they should have temporarily let him play on a bad team like what magnitogorsk did for grebenkin.
- His development was horrible. Spent too much time in Russia. He would play less than ten minutes per game. They did not have a plan for him even though Sibir was meh.
- Projects to be a bottom six player. I don't know if he has the skill for the top six unless injuries happen. I am pessimistic whether he has that extra gear or patience to make the nhl, but anything can happen.
- There's quite a bit of depth on the marlies so 10 points in 20 games is not too bad

If I was toronto, I would have tried to unload Abbruzzese instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad