Trade: [TOR/MEM] Marc Gasol for C.J. Miles, Delon Wright, Jonas Valanciunas, and 2024 2nd

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He was drafted with TOR's 1st round pick they received from Miami for Bosh, which they had previously/originally traded for Jermaine O'Neal IIRC

End of an era.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Its whatever. Wright wont be much more than a backup PG, Miles is a dime a dozen and JV is a good starter but not somebody the Raptors will miss.
I agree. Depth takes a hit but they’re all in, right?

Wished they could have held on to Delon Wright. His length on d was an asset and while nobody can really guard Kyrie, Delon could make him work a little.. Freddy and Kyle lookin awfully small matched against that Boston group now.

Reactions: hockey20000

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm not sure the Raps could beat the Bucks 4 out of 7. Better hope they finish 1-2 and someone else does the job. Team D and rebounding is weak. They really need to attack the buyout market for wing depth.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm not sure the Raps could beat the Bucks 4 out of 7. Better hope they finish 1-2 and someone else does the job. Team D and rebounding is weak. They really need to attack the buyout market for wing depth.

I’d be very interested to know who you think of their starting 5 is not good on D to make the team defence “weak”.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
They are very close to the Bucks and "weak defensively"? :biglaugh:

Kawhai and Green are on this team. You do realize that right?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What is the point of a 2024 2nd? did that reall need to be in this trade? that pick is 5 years away that's not even relevant at this point

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Gasol is a great fit for this offense. He can clear out the paint when Kawhi decides he wants to post up. His playmaking is going to benefit everyone, especially Siakam. Lots of options late-game now with him and Ibaka having different uses.

Raptors also open up a few roster spots, so we should be players on the buyout market. We should have a good 9 man rotation come playoffs.

Lowry/VanVleet
Green/Buyout
Kawhi/OG
Siakam
Gasol/Ibaka

I'd target Ellington and Morris, but there's going to be a ton of interest in those guys.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
ugh... way 2 much for a 34 year old ffs. keep wright atleast...

They have to make a run this year in order to keep Kawhi. If he leaves, this trade opens up the cap sheet in 2020 when Gasol, Ibaka and Lowry are all on expiring contracts, giving them the chance to go scorched earth and rebuild.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I’d be very interested to know who you think of their starting 5 is not good on D to make the team defence “weak”.

I think a Gasol-Siakam-Kawhi-Green-Lowry lineup would be one of the best defensive units in the league on paper if that's what they decide to go with. Kawhi and Siakam can guard mostly anyone on the floor and Green can guard multiple positions as well. Gasol and Lowry are also two of the better one-on-one defenders at their positions and then you'd have Ibaka and OG coming off the bench as two more solid defenders.

The bigger issue might be on the offensive end when the starters are out. Wright wasn't great this season but he was doing a better job of getting to the rim recently. They need more than just FVV being able to create his own shot so it'll be interesting to see what they do with the rotation.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
What is the point of a 2024 2nd? did that reall need to be in this trade? that pick is 5 years away that's not even relevant at this point

reminds me of the #2 overall pick the pistons used to draft darko in 03

they had acquired it in 1997

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If Lowry's relationship with Ujiri was strained after watching his BFF get dealt.......I wonder how he feels now that he knows Ujiri dangled him for Conley. :laugh:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

The sum of the parts is greater than the whole IMO. Lots of great on the ball defenders but as a team struggle to defend the 3 and ball movement of better opponents (Milwaukee, Boston especially). I don't think Gasol will help. He will help their offense immensely if they can avoid the iso trap, but I don't think they are deep enough to tangle with the Bucks. Kawhi, Siakam and Lowry will have to play out of their minds in that series.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The sum of the parts is greater than the whole IMO. Lots of great on the ball defenders but as a team struggle to defend the 3 and ball movement of better opponents (Milwaukee, Boston especially). I don't think Gasol will help. He will help their offense immensely if they can avoid the iso trap, but I don't think they are deep enough to tangle with the Bucks. Kawhi, Siakam and Lowry will have to play out of their minds in that series.

They are 6th in the NBA in 3FG% Allowed. Maybe you’re thinking of the 2017-18 version of the Raptors.

Where they are average is rebounding. But defensively, it’s a great starting 5. Plus Ibaka and OG coming off the bench. It’s ludicrous to say that defence is their shortcoming.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Good trade for the Raptors, going all in this season is the right call. Going to see the San Antonio game on the 22nd and looking forward to seeing how Gasol fits in.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
They are 6th in the NBA in 3FG% Allowed. Maybe you’re thinking of the 2017-18 version of the Raptors.

Where they are average is rebounding. But defensively, it’s a great starting 5. Plus Ibaka and OG coming off the bench. It’s ludicrous to say that defence is their shortcoming.

This.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad