Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 3

How Fair Is This Contract.

• Total voters

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Funny, this is coming after the Leafs fans keep explaining to the Oilers fans how bad the Draisaitl deal is.... Oh, the irony...
Different fans can have different opinions.. just because they cheer for the same team doesn't mean all their opinions are the same so there's no irony, I never said anything about the Draisaitl deal. Would you rather pay that to Draisaitl or pay what you do to Lucic? You know why Leafs are in a cap crunch next year? Marleau. These are the contracts hat hurt not overpaying your stars.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7even

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs blueline will continue to be a big '?', and the $$$ tied in 4 guys means other RFA's such as Kapanen, and possibly Johnsson will likely get offer sheets that the Leafs won't have the cap space to match.

Leafs 'depth' will be in the form of guys from the Marlies.

To be offer sheeted you have to want to accept the contract and not be signed by July 1st and then also not have that offer matched. Johnson & Kapanen can both fit under the cap on bridge deals.

As for the D, obviously that is not their strength, however it will be about the same next year and then the year after they have that extra 6 million opening up from Marleau leaving to add more.

The cap crunch is one year, next season. Their depth is one of the best in the league right now and there is no evidence it will get worse for a few years at least. Then they will be in the same situation as every good team whether it Pittsburgh or Chicago, where young people get good and decisions have to get made. This is the normal proceedings of being a good team and is unavoidable.

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
'Bridge deals' for how much $$$?

It's already rumored that some GMs will offer Kapanen $4 million (only costing them a future 2nd round draft pick)...Will the Leafs have that much available, and will they be capable of moving certain pieces in order to keep their 'tier 2' guys?
So Leafs aren't resigning Kapanen before July 1st and will only sign him to a discount not to a fair contract? I don't understand your logic here.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Different fans can have different opinions.. just because they free for the same team doesn't mean all their opinions are the same so there's no irony, I never said anything about the Draisaitl deal. Would you rather pay that to Draisaitl or pay what you do to Lucic? You know why Leafs are in a cap crunch next year? Marleau. These are the contracts hat hurt not overpaying your stars.

I dissagree that Draisaitl is overpaid, this season he is putting similar numbers to AM, and makes much less.

And to answer your question, about overpaying Drai or Lucic... Well if we had to pay Drai an extra 3 mils and pay Lucic 3 million less, I don't see how this would make our situation much much better.. We would have the same issues we have right now.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I dissagree that Draisaitl is overpaid, this season he is putting similar numbers to AM, and makes much less.

In his ELC season, he put up 30% less Pts/GP (not to even mention the goals thing). Or are we assuming that 21 year old Matthews has stopped developing versus 23 year old Draisatl?

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

And to answer your question, about overpaying Drai or Lucic... Well if we had to pay Drai an extra 3 mils and pay Lucic 3 million less, I don't see how this would make our situation much much better.. We would have the same issues we have right now.
Thing is though, you couldn't realistically get Draisaitl 3 mill a year cheaper so you're missing the point. If I'm to use an example off my own team, Marleau makes 6.5 mill and overpaid by maybe 3-3.5. Leafs were not getting Matthews at 8 mill. That was never a question. If Leafs don't have Marleau who is essentially useless to them, they can pay Marner 10 mill a year and still be under the cap.

For the record I wasn't even trying to say Drai is overpaid I only used him as an example because that's what the guy implied Leaf fans have said.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
To be offer sheeted you have to want to accept the contract and not be signed by July 1st and then also not have that offer matched. Johnson & Kapanen can both fit under the cap on bridge deals.

As for the D, obviously that is not their strength, however it will be about the same next year and then the year after they have that extra 6 million opening up from Marleau leaving to add more.

The cap crunch is one year, next season. Their depth is one of the best in the league right now and there is no evidence it will get worse for a few years at least. Then they will be in the same situation as every good team whether it Pittsburgh or Chicago, where young people get good and decisions have to get made. This is the normal proceedings of being a good team and is unavoidable.

Why would Kapanen accept to be sign to a bridge deal?

He's having his best offensive season by a mile and will prob want to bang on it to secure a betetr contract in terms of $ and term.

He's not goign to sign for 2/2.5M, look somewhere aroudn 4/4.5 ish.

You still need to fit him under your cap before season starts, and we haven't talked about the 11+M Marner is going too get

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Why would Kapanen accept to be sign to a bridge deal?

He's having his best offensive season by a mile and will prob want to bang on it to secure a betetr contract in terms of $ and term.

You still need to fit him under your cap before season starts, and we haven't talked about the 11+M Marner is going too get
You might want to ask the hundreds of other players who had one great year who took bridge deals.

If they weren't going to get Kap resigned then they would had traded him. They have refused to trade him, so that means....

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
As a Flames fan I'm not thrilled with the deal, but it is what it is. I expect Marner , Tkachuk and co. will all enter the offseason and use the Matthews deal as their benchmark. It's going to be an expensive offseason for a lot of teams.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You might want to ask the hundreds of other players who had one great year who took bridge deals.

If they weren't going to get Kap resigned then they would had traded him. They have refused to trade him, so that means....

That's what I am saying. If he isn't an idiot, he takes this year and bangs on it. He may never get back to that point.

Get a Long term 6X 4/4.5M, and make sure you're getting paid instead of getting a 2year bridge and see your offensive production fall a clif because you aren't playing w/ AM anymore

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Currently on pace for 23 g 48 points.

4- 4.5 buys us a 6-7 year deal, and leaves him worse off then bridging and signing big following a couple better seasons.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Currently on pace for 23 g 48 points.

4- 4.5 buys us a 6-7 year deal, and leaves him worse off then bridging and signing big following a couple better seasons.
And what if his offensive production decliens once he isn't playing w/ Matthews? and his off produciton goes back down to 30pts a season? He isn't goign to be able to get a 4//4.5M$ contract if that's the case

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
And what if his offensive production decliens once he isn't playing w/ Matthews? and his off produciton goes back down to 30pts a season? He isn't goign to be able to get a 4//4.5M$ contract if that's the case

People that are good at things tend not to bet against themselves. Your whole "argument" is based on him peaking at 22 being likely, which reaks of wishful thinking on your part.

Your little wet dream his him getting 4 x 6 and then declining. That's not analysis, it's just sad. We would love to find a way to lock him up a 4x6

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
People that are good at things tend not to bet against themselves. Your whole "argument" is based on him peaking at 22 being likely, which reaks of wishful thinking on your part.

Your little wet dream his him getting 4 x 6 and then declining. That's not analysis, it's just sad. We would love to find a way to lock him up a 4x6

He wasn't able to do anythign offensively @ the NHL lvl before playign w/ Matthews. Unless the guy is stupid, he'll bang on that, get a big 25-30M on a 6 year deal. His production is already declinning A LOT since the beginnign of the year

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I just don't understand the thought process of Dubas.
-Matthews initial ask is $14m/8, pretty high, but that's normal for agents.
-Dubas should have countered with $11.0m/8, maybe a little low, but that's negotiating.
-They meet somewhere in the middle 12.5m/8 Seems about right on line on what he should be making.

Looks much better then $11.6m/5 that ended up happening though, Dubas dropped the ball here.

McDavid got 16.68% on an 8 year deal. 15% seems proper for Matthews for an 8 year term, and on an 83M cap it works out to 12.45M. Bump it to 12.5M flat x 8 for a slight overpay. This makes the $11.6m/5 deal look like a travesty.
Did Dubas do any negotiating? Or did he just bend over and say take as much as you want?

Seems like he was scared it'd drag on like the Nylander negotiations and wanted it done ASAP. Should be interesting to see how bad Marner's agent bullies Dubas next.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He wasn't able to do anythign offensively @ the NHL lvl before playign w/ Matthews. Unless the guy is stupid, he'll bang on that, get a big 25-30M on a 6 year deal. His production is already declinning A LOT since the beginnign of the year

Wow, you think maybe it's because he was getting 10 minutes on the 4th line before this season? You know, because he was 20 and fresh out of the AHL?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

And since it's so obvious that this 22 year old 1st rounder has peaked and will decline, it's natural that multiple teams will be lining up to commit that 25-30 million dollars. That makes total sense.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Im sure it was posted somewhere, but can someone quickly tell me the point of the majority being signing bonus and such a small "salary"?

Lockout protection? But even then, its only one year I would hope worst case scenario.

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
Im sure it was posted somewhere, but can someone quickly tell me the point of the majority being signing bonus and such a small "salary"?

Lockout protection? But even then, its only one year I would hope worst case scenario.

Kevin McGran (@kevin_mcgran) | Twitter

According to a tax treaty between Canada and the United States, as a U.S. resident Matthews’ massive signing bonuses ($54.5M) would be taxed at 15 per cent in Canada. His salary ($3.65M) would be taxed at 53.53 per cent.

Reactions: NHLsnipers

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
All RFAs going to want 5 years deals and walk if their teams are ****. Small market teams cannot afford to pay bonuses like we just did. We screwed a bunch teams lol.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Kevin McGran (@kevin_mcgran) | Twitter

According to a tax treaty between Canada and the United States, as a U.S. resident Matthews’ massive signing bonuses ($54.5M) would be taxed at 15 per cent in Canada. His salary ($3.65M) would be taxed at 53.53 per cent.

One thing to note. This tweet is a bit misleading and has been working it's way around the internet. 15% is how much he will be taxed in Canada. He will be taxed on his bonuses in the state where he is a resident (likely Arizona, combined federal and state tax rate of about 42%, minus what he pays in Canada). So it's still beneficial but the benefits are being wildly exaggerated all over the place.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
As a Flames fan I'm not thrilled with the deal, but it is what it is. I expect Marner , Tkachuk and co. will all enter the offseason and use the Matthews deal as their benchmark. It's going to be an expensive offseason for a lot of teams.

Don't think Matthews is a good comp for Tkachuk. Leafs will do everything in their power to get Marner inked before July 1. That'll set the tone for Tkachuk, Aho, and Rants, more than likely.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

Also Drai doesn't make less than AM this year. He makes substantially more and is older. AM is in his ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: