Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Couldn't get him to 6 years, where he and Tavares expire at the same time?

I don't think Matthews has proven he is worth more than 10.5, but at least they didn't go the 13M/8 yr route

Should have had a zero shot at 13M.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What? That's 20 million less security. Go ask jack Johnson if he wished he had an extra 20 mil.

An extra $20 million would just mean Jack Johnson lost more money, it has nothing to do with earning less. Your argument is $50 million is a lot of money so they can take a risk by sign a short-term contract and still have financial security. If Matthews signed the extra 3 years he would have had an extra $30 million in financial security (by your logic).

At the end of the day, the player will waste his millions and squander it away or make financially sound decisions, regardless of whether that is $30 million, $50 million, or $80 million.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
8 years 11.63

Great, looks like you should have been the agent, and not Judd Moldaver. Why do people on this site never stop to think that there is another person on the other end of these negotiations who won't just sit there and take what's offered? If that had been a final firm offer then you might as well forget about him for half of next season, because he'll do the exact same thing that W. Nylander did. The players coming into the league nowadays are all going to be signed to these types of contracts. It's been the standard since the start of 2017-18 and there's not a damn thing that you, I or anyone can do about it, until after the next lockout anyway.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I’m sure that’s what you and many others would have been capable of doing.

KyLe DuMbAsS

Am I right fellas?

i'm just reading the leafs board, and that's where all the kyle dumbass posts are originating from

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
$15.2M signing bonus in the first and second year, $9.7M in the 3rd and $7.2M in each of the last 2 years. Terrible contract length and to top it off he got himself a NMC in the last year. So at age 26 Matthews will be heading home to Phoenix, assuming the team is still there?
Dubas.... Did Auston Matthews agent at least buy you dinner before he ****ed you?
Give me a good reason why he'd leave Leafs to go to Arizona? :laugh:

Reactions: Voight

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Great, looks like you should have been the agent, and not Judd Moldaver. Why do people on this site never stop to think that there is another person on the other end of these negotiations who won't just sit there and take what's offered? If that had been a final firm offer then you might as well forget about him for half of next season, because he'll do the exact same thing that W. Nylander did. The players coming into the league nowadays are all going to be signed to these types of contracts. It's been the standard since the start of 2017-18 and there's not a damn thing that you or I can do about it, until after the next lockout anyway.

maybe don't be such a pushover and set new precedents

I praised Dubas for Tavares signing and thought he's on his way to becoming the best GM of the Leafs, but these signings are not a win. Leafs can win cups under his watch but that doesn't mean this deal is as good as Tavares'. Look at the leafs board, its chaos and quite entertaining

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
They're reaching hard.

Tavares was a UFA that's what market value is. Leafs can just get rid of Marleau by attaching on picks to a team trying to hit the cap floor. Done. We have cap space. That was easy.

There are a certain number of posters determined to discredit every single thing the Leafs franchise does. If it can be perceived in any way as a negative, it’ll get twisted that way.

I’m sure the HF hive mind could run the Leafs much better.

Reactions: Voight

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Hahahahaha, gtfo of here with that nonsense. Oh HF boards never change lol
It’s not nonsense. Check the highlights of those games. With the extra attacker fceoffs were won toward him and he was beaten to the puck by players who were smaller, not as strong and not who don’t skate as well as he does. They beat him to those loose pucks by having more will and determination to win.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Nylander would be playing for a different team. And I would have pushed hard to get ahead on the Marner negotiation last summer.

If they had secured Marner before Matthews that would have been beneficial. But easier said than done as I assume the Marner camp wanted to wait till the Matthews negotiation played out.

Fair enough, but given that part of the pitch to land Tavares meant giving him his word that the team wouldn't be dismantled to accomodate him, wouldn't you argue that it was that which was his ultimate downfall? It doesn't matter what GM was in charge of negotiations, the market has been set since October 2017. These guys would have been asking for this kind of money no matter how you look at it.

Signing players at or below market value doesn't make someone a bad manager.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
They're reaching hard.

Tavares was a UFA that's what market value is. Leafs can just get rid of Marleau by attaching on picks to a team trying to hit the cap floor. Done. We have cap space. That was easy.
Marleau has a NMC. Why would he, at age 39 (turns 40 on Sept 15), agree to any trade that uproots his family in his last year playing pro hockey?

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
It’s not nonsense. Check the highlights of those games. With the extra attacker fceoffs were won toward him and he was beaten to the puck by players who were smaller, not as strong and not who don’t skate as well as he does. They beat him to those loose pucks by having more will and determination to win.
"Check the highlights" :biglaugh:

His compete level is never a question.

Reactions: SwollenGoat

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
More than us Leaf fans wanted, but oh well, at least he’s signed. With how high the cap is going these days +/- a million is just over 1% of the cap, so it’s not a huge deal either way.

Next year will be super tight, but looking forward to a contender for the next 5 years plus.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Nope! Once next year cap kicks in, along with Matthew's contract, he'll take up 14% of the Leafs cap. That is exactly market value.

McDavid takes up around 16%, so Matthews is right where he should be.

WOOO HOOO.

except you have to complete against teams with contracts like
Scheifele 8.39%
Gaudreau 9.25%
Pastrnak 8.89%
Barkov 8.08%
Mackinnon 8.63%

And guess what? Oilers aren't winning a cup anytime soon either

Reactions: theblackadder

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Great, looks like you should have been the agent, and not Judd Moldaver. Why do people on this site never stop to think that there is another person on the other end of these negotiations who won't just sit there and take what's offered? If that had been a final firm offer then you might as well forget about him for half of next season, because he'll do the exact same thing that W. Nylander did. The players coming into the league nowadays are all going to be signed to these types of contracts. It's been the standard since the start of 2017-18 and there's not a damn thing that you, I or anyone can do about it, until after the next lockout anyway.
Why? Would Nylander really have Qwits Hockeyz if he didn't get everything he wanted? If so he shoulda sat

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
"Check the highlights" :biglaugh:

His compete level is never a question.
Why was beaten to the loose pucks by lesser players in those specific instances? Beaten at such crucial times in the game, during a losing streak.

No, guys Ike Tavares, Rielly, Marner and even a Kapanen can’t have their compete levels questioned. Matthews and Nylander don’t have that in them. By the time of this year’s elimination more and more leaf fans will feel the same.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Same reason hometown boy Taveras left the Islanders to go to Toronto :laugh:
Toronto has a great up and coming team and Isles we're supposed to be bad. Why leave a good team to downgrade? Hats completely different.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Matthews is getting paid almost double of what Gaudreau is getting for the next four years. Now that is a tough pill to swallow.

Crazy how one of those guys signed 3 years ago and the cap (&as a result the price of young players) has gone up since. (6 million to be exact)

They're reaching hard.

They could also send him to Robidas Island :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad