Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) (Mod note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Where were they at the same ages?
Leaf players are just entering their primes.
Marchand seems to be in his, Bergeron just had a career year, and Pastrnak at 6.6 million is a better deal than any Leafs player.

100 points in 79 games for Marchand last year, 85 in 68 the year before that.

79 in 65 for Bergeron this past season.

81 in 66 for Pastrnak

Krejci also had a career year.

Not bad for dinosaurs.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
LMAO. Hmm........

- A bunch of 27/28 year olds.
- A bunch of 70 year olds.

or

- The best young core in the entire NHL, all locked up long-term!!

Tough choice!!! WOOO HOOOOO.

:)

giphy.gif

Reactions: Paradise Circus

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
For posterity:

First, it was, "You can't keep all those great players while keeping your good, secondary players."
Then it was, "Okay you kept them, but you will have to fill out your roster with plugs making league minimum." Meanwhile, Dubas signs capable players in Spezza, Mikheyev, and others to cheap deals.

Now it's, "All that money for Marner and Co. who have never won a round in the playoffs" and "Most of your D are UFAs next year."

It's just comical to me how the haters keep moving the goal line, just to get served crow time and time again. When the Leafs win a playoff round next year, and a suitable outcome is found to shore up the D, what will be the next failed mantra?
None of this really happened, but yes all the money is gone and you have no defense and you cant win in the playoffs

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Other than Matthews theyd all get less than fmv. Because of contracts.

If you say so. But that wasn't my question. My question was indirectly, don't you think there are plenty of GMS that would be happy to have any of those players with their current contracts? The answer is definitely yes. Doesn't that tell you the contracts really aren't as bad as the haters imply?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'm debating my next jersey to buy, should it be "Defenseman1" or "One of Four 4th line forwards"?

You throw these solutions out there as if they will keep/make the Leafs instant contenders. You can't do it with 6 generic $800k players on a roster.

You also seem to have a crystal ball regarding the Cap?
Get an Aho one. He is a great player or a Slavin.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Pretty obvious, based on my post history who I cheer for....

But I don't care about contracts anymore. It's not my job. I realize that it effects how a team can spend or what they can do within the season, but... once again, Not my job.

People making far more money then I, are required to deal with it. Tell me Marner is making $10.8M I don't care, good for him for being able to be paid as much as he is. I don't care if he didn't get paid and was traded, the contract talk in this league really takes away from the on ice product. You don't hear other leagues talk about contracts nearly this much. They touch on length, and when someone will be UFA or "get paid" or whatever, but that's it.

I'm done caring about what percent of the cap a player makes. I'll pay attention to term. That's about it.

Bottom line is, who cares? Outside the people making the money, and the Canadian networks, that in turn hope we do. That's about it.
You're right, maybe outside of this site no one really cares. But a lot of people love discussing contracts here. For so long now. It's how it is here, I dont really have a problem with it. You learn a lot. If I dont like something I just don't click or comment on it. People are free to discuss whatever they wish here.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He was public enemy #1 when he was at 11 x 8. 10.9 x 6 which I think is a better deal for Mitch when he cashes in again in 6 years at just 100k less AAV. I would imagine he would still be in the doghouse. But who knows. Fans can be a fickle lot.

Meh, I think most Leaf fans would be okay with 11x7. 10.9x6 is... worse, but I don't think many of them are overly upset.

I don't know. I think this deal isn't terrible. But the Matthews, Tavares, and Marner deals, and even Nylander, as a collective, are going to tough to navigate around. Any one of the deals would be workable on its own, but collectively, the fact that not one player left much, if anything, on the table... That could hurt when it comes time to put together a real defense.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
LMAO. Hmm........

or

You act as if it's an accomplishment that they are locked up, you should be more focused on how the Leafs got bent over in basically all those deals.

It's pretty tough to lose players if you're willing to overpay them.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You're right, maybe outside of this site no one really cares. But a lot of people love discussing contracts here. For so long now. It's how it is here, I dont really have a problem with it. You learn a lot. If I dont like something I just don't click or comment on it. People are free to discuss whatever they wish here.

Well, yeah.

People that frequent and post on this site are among the hardcore hockey fans. Of course all facets of the game will be opined on.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
LMAO. Hmm........

or

Tarasenko/Schwartz/Schenn/Pasta/ROR are over 70? Hell Tavares is older than every one of those players listed...

Enjoy another game 7 loss to Boston next spring. If it even gets to game 7.

Reactions: BlueMed

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Marchand seems to be in his, Bergeron just had a career year, and Pastrnak at 6.6 million is a better deal than any Leafs player.

100 points in 79 games for Marchand last year, 85 in 68 the year before that.

79 in 65 for Bergeron this past season.

81 in 66 for Pastrnak

Krejci also had a career year.

Not bad for dinosaurs.

Boston has some of the best contracts in league no doubt.

Reactions: BlueMed

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They should be happy. Their best player just got locked up for less than Matthews and Tavares.
I'd have to wonder if Dubas didn't promise Marner the captaincy to get him to sign a team friendly deal like this.
Our best player got Matthews money as our best player is Matthews.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
The Leafs have to go for it this year...they are going to lose some valuable dman next off season but they can take advantage of a full season of Barrie and Muzzin for this current season....this should be a very interesting team to follow this year!

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
overpayed as hell. I guess in year 5 and 6 it might look good if the salary cap goes up as much as the rumors are saying.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
This is an overpayment, but I expected a lot worse after the horrendous negotiation of Nylander and Matthews deals.

He hasn't even played a game yet under his new contract and it's an overpayment. Amazing!
The league was always backwards paying on past performance. People need to realize it's now properly changing. No more Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd contracts...

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
I think you should worry about your team.
Leafs will be fine. Don't worry

I wouldn't call no playoff series win in 15 years fine.. they got 33m on 3 forwards.. its gonna bite them eventually. they need to win this year or next.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
If you say so. But that wasn't my question. My question was indirectly, don't you think there are plenty of GMS that would be happy to have any of those players with their current contracts? The answer is definitely yes. Doesn't that tell you the contracts really aren't as bad as the haters imply?

The questions irrelevant. Tjats like saying would you pay an extra 2 mil in capspace to have x player for free. Obviously. Thays not the situation or how the nhl works.

In this particular situation the Leafs got completely hosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad