Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) (Mod note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The Leafs have about $62 million committed next year to 10 forwards, 1 defenseman and 1 goalie. That leaves about $23 mil (assuming cap of $85 mil) to sign 2 forwards, 5 defensemen and a backup, just to have the bare minimum roster. Interesting time ahead for Dubas.

The NHL allows this thing called trades, maybe you heard of them?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Maybe...

Wouldn't that REALLY piss off folks here...

We have success with our current core, lose Matthews and Marner, then pick up McDavid....

No wonder so many fans are concerned about the Leafs future...
Dude, who’s pissed off? What are you even talking about?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Maybe...

Wouldn't that REALLY piss off folks here...

We have success with our current core, lose Matthews and Marner, then pick up McDavid....

No wonder so many fans are concerned about the Leafs future...

Thatd be wild. Would Leaf fans actually prefer Mcdavid over AM and Marner?

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
He got the term, AAV, and structure (all bonuses) he wanted. In no way was the offer he accepted any sort of capitulation to the idiotic Toronto PR pressure.

He wanted 5 years 11.5, toronto was gonna have trouble with anything over 11. He definitely gave a little, not a ton, but he could have held out for 5 year or a 3 year deal with a huge QO. Toronto gets to put the saga behind them and focus on getting the cap to work once Reilly steps up to the plate.

I'm no fan of Toronto, but I can see this was about as good an outcome as could be expected once that leak was out there. Toronto couldnt go higher than 11 mil the city would have lost it and Dubas would be getting roasted constantly, even more than he has been. So they knocked it to just below 11 and got him to go 6 instead of 5 years. It's a good end result for hockey, Marner is an exciting player to watch, he needed to be on the ice opening night.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Well, thank god we have $15,173,134 in space next year plus the 3-5M increase from the cap which would mean 18-20M in total cap space. If we like Barrie and he wants to stay in Toronto we can easily fit him in:

Here's a quick example that will take care of all the UFA/RFA we have next year:

Barrie - 8M
Dermott - $2.5
Lilegren - $863,333
Sandin - $894,167
Defenseman1 - 2M
Defenseman2 - 700K
Four 4th line forwards at 800K each = 3.2M
18.2M Total

I always laugh at other fans trying to denigrate our management team especially given the number of times someone posted that we would never be able to afford the big four forwards even though I and others showed them otherwise. You guys realize we have one of the strongest front offices in the league including someone who worked on the cap itself? It's like you think the front office is constantly drunk and throwing darts at a board. Any possible overpays for our stars is in the 500k to 1M range which is not going to affect us. We're past the toughest cap year we were going to face and it will get easier from here especially as the cap jumps up due to Seattle expansion/gambling revenue etc.

Reilly will get paid by us in 3 years and frankly he deserves it, probably 8-10M. Depending how much space is added to the cap the players I see getting squeezed are Anderson or Hyman in 2021. Every other year we should have the money needed for our RFA/UFA's just based on cap increases alone.
Why is Dermott taking $2.5 when the RFA market has jumped? Lilegren sucks and who are D1 for $2million and D2 for 700k. That isnt a playoff defense. I laugh at wish casting posters

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Well, good to know the Leafs probably never win the cup with this core with so much locked up in three players.

Bad luck, really, that all these stars value the dollars over winning. Guess not everyone can be McDavid.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
tenor.gif

I'll make sure to have a laugh at the Leafs forum threads around January complaining about Barrie the same way they did Gardiner, thanks.

Mar 12, 2009
This is why I thought Bob McKenzies "their have been 7-8 years at 11AAV offered, unless their is a seismic shift I don't see how things will change" was click bait trash. The media made it sound like anything less than 12+ would get it done.
Would I like it cheaper? Ya. But the media and non-Leaf fan HF have been telling us he would get more for so long now, and all of a sudden the same media and HF people will say this is insane now.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Well Leafs have an elite forward core locked up for several years and their best and an elite dman for 3 more years and stArting goalie for 2 more years

Muzzin, Barrie, Ceci all UFA after this year after losing Gardiner already.

The defense will need to be rebuilt in a tight cap landscape. Who knows if they re-sign any of the aforementioned 3 guys. At least 1 or 2 of Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren will need to be big contributors in the near future.

They’re simultanesly in a good but tough spot. Dubas will have to make shrewd moves to make this core a Stanley cup team in the near future

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
These players willl want 20mil a year if they win a playoff round.

Should have clarified hometown discount means taking lesss to win a cup not free purchases at any Tim Horton's if under contract.

They did the exact opposite of the Tampa model. What allowed them to stack their team.

Now theyll have to fill their roster with Tanner Glass types this Next decade.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Whoever said you can’t sign all four was dumb. Of course you could. You even paid threw the teeth to shed cap. Most arguments I’ve seen on this board have never been you can’t sign them. That’s just ridiculous. It was that having that much cap invested in four forwards would just be a detriment to you being true contenders going for a cup which is what everyone’s goal is. And with almost half your cap, “I don’t care about a new tv deal bringing the cap up to $100 million hypothetically. I’ll believe it when it actually happens” the rest of your team will be hurt.

The argument that the Leafs can't keep JT, Nylander, Marner and Matthews is the #1 criticism I've heard, both on this forum and in private and public circles. There was also the argument that Dubas would have to trade one or both of Kapanen and Johnsson to ensure that those four players could be signed.

Now, they are all signed, but is it a detriment to the team? You would think so, but currently the Leafs have a very formidable team. The D is improved and there is great secondary support. Of course, things get complicated when Barrie and Muzzin come up for renewal, then Rielly and Andersen in 2-3 years, but Dubas has shown that he can pull a rabbit out of the hat and work cap magic. After this unbelievable off-season where he revamped the Leafs, when they were expected to be in cap hell with a weak supporting cast, I have reasonable faith in him at the helm.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
My god this is crazy to actually see the amount spent on 3 forwards in same team. I dont get how this will work for next few years putting a roster together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad