Confirmed with Link: [TOR/LVK] Vegas select F Brenden Leipsic from TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Not a big loss in my opinion. He wasn't going to crack this line up next year and he's waiver eligible

I do wish him the best. He should get a legit chance to play. There was no pointing of holding on to him for the sake of holding on to him

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Had to lose someone. Others are losing proven NHL talent. We're losing a Marlie who likely never cracks our roster full time and we lose on waivers anyway.

No issues here.

Should've & could've taken Martins spot in the lineup and we would be improved.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If they choose him, they will get a good player. We probably have to lose one of him or Rychel so I am not disappointed, both are similar players that play with grit and have some scoring. Doesn't matter that Leipsic is smaller, he plays bigger than he is. Probably the better player overall. Would prefer to lose Marincin but one can only dream.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
No we wouldn't improve

We would be vastly improved playing 4 scoring lines instead of having one line that is close to being a liability defensively (literally because of Martin / Ben smith)

We're already a nightmare to matchup with with 3 lines that can put up 60 points, imagine that except with a 4th line that can score 30. We have the players to be able to do that internally too, and they would be able to feed on other teams 4th lines.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Yup. Martin deal is the first mistake by managment.

Agreed, and it's really not that big a deal either. I didnt mind it at the time, but I really didn't like that they didn't just admit defeat and make Vegas take him (or at the very least expose him, because WHY would anyone want that contract)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
We will lose a "good" NHL player in the next ex-draft :nod:

Doesn't look that painful at the moment. It could be if the team acquires a young vet or two.

Same rules in 2019 assuming very few changes:

Protect:
Matthews
Nylander
Marner
Brown
Kadri
Kapanen
Johnsson

Rielly
Dermott (or whoever emerges)
Zaitsev

Andersen

Free agents:
Gardiner

Exempt:
Grundstrom
Korshkov
Bracco

Rosen
Borgman

Exposed:
Martin
Hyman
Gauthier
Timashov

Marincin
Nielsen

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
Leipsic would have never made our lineup, he's 5'9. He has good numbers but there's no knowing how he would perform 82 games in a season. This isn't Martin St. Louis. Everyone relax.

I'm confident in the choice they made. Let's wait and see if Lou has something cooking at the awards ceremony.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Sucks to lose a solid prospect but every team is losing someone. I'm just glad we didn't have to give up a Theodore or give up picks for Vegas to take someone else.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
We would be vastly improved playing 4 scoring lines instead of having one line that is close to being a liability defensively (literally because of Martin / Ben smith)

We're already a nightmare to matchup with with 3 lines that can put up 60 points, imagine that except with a 4th line that can score 30. We have the players to be able to do that internally too, and they would be able to feed on other teams 4th lines.

Yup. Martin deal is the first mistake by managment.

Agreed, and it's really not that big a deal either. I didnt mind it at the time, but I really didn't like that they didn't just admit defeat and make Vegas take him (or at the very least expose him, because WHY would anyone want that contract)

Martin is a great player to have and I'm glad he was protected, because Vegas definitely would've taken him.

You guys are crying over a 4th line grinder and an AHL star. Get over it. Nobody runs 4 scoring lines for a reason. Glad you are not GM.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not sure one can have too much trepidation about losing a prospect that was hard to see where he would fit on the Leafs and not miss if he was gone.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Martin is a great player to have and I'm glad he was protected, because Vegas definitely would've taken him.

You guys are crying over a 4th line grinder and an AHL star. Get over it. Nobody runs 4 scoring lines for a reason. Glad you are not GM.

The rangers do? Get your facts straight.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Doesn't look that painful at the moment. It could be if the team acquires a young vet or two.

Same rules in 2019 assuming very few changes:

Protect:
Matthews
Nylander
Marner
Brown
Kadri
Kapanen
Johnsson

Rielly
Dermott (or whoever emerges)
Zaitsev

Andersen

Free agents:
Gardiner

Exempt:
Grundstrom
Korshkov
Bracco

Rosen
Borgman

Exposed:
Martin
Hyman
Gauthier
Timashov

Marincin
Nielsen

Some of those exposed guys will likely be dealt beforehand anyways.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

ok...what?

2.5mil cap hit. Salary paid out less every season.

Played hard minutes on our 4th line and helped protect the youth. Plays a necessary role on a rebuilding team dressing 8 rookies and helps them get to the playoffs and you want to sell him as overpaid?

Your obsession over his contract and overall presence is nothing short of laughable.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You think the rags made the playoffs because they didn't let up goals? No it was because they had contribution from all 4 of their lines being all scoring lines.

It's a concept teams need to learn, and it will make this 3 line leaf team that's already a matchup nightmare into an even bigger nightmare. Saw it first hand with Washington barely being able to handle the Bozak line

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
You think the rags made the playoffs because they didn't let up goals? No it was because they had contribution from all 4 of their lines being all scoring lines.

It's a concept teams need to learn, and it will make this 3 line leaf team that's already a matchup nightmare into an even bigger nightmare. Saw it first hand with Washington barely being able to handle the Bozak line

ya it was exciting watching New York lift the cup this year as winners...

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
ok...what?

2.5mil cap hit. Salary paid out less every season.

Played hard minutes on our 4th line and helped protect the youth. Plays a necessary role on a rebuilding team dressing 8 rookies and helps them get to the playoffs and you want to sell him as overpaid?

Your obsession over his contract and overall presence is nothing short of laughable.

His contract is hardly the issue, but yes he is overpaid.

The problem is were dressing a player who played like an AHL player last season, because we need to protect the youth. He's not on the ice when they are? Lucic was on the ice when Savard's career ended? It's not like Pittsburgh needed any fights to win the cup. Times a changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad