Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Morgan Rielly (8 years, $7.5M AAV)

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I think they could have kept the contract sealed for later to give Dubas more negotiating power to trade away some players to make cap space next year, like Kerfoot.

Now if Dubas tries to dump Kerfoot, other GMs will ask for more, because the Leafs are in a worse position again.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I think they could have kept the contract sealed for later to give Dubas more negotiating power to trade away some players to make cap space next year, like Kerfoot.

Now if Dubas tries to dump Kerfoot, other GMs will ask for more, because the Leafs are in a worse position again.

This wasn’t a possibility. The player gets this signed, sealed, and delivered(registered with the league) asap as not to risk injury changing the Leafs’ mind. You’re incredibly naive if you think an agent would allow a player to let the team hold back on registering the deal to help out the perceived trade leverage of the Leafs as pertains to their assets.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad

Or maybe he puts a little bit of pressure on Marner to perform better or will be out in the summer?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Campbell is why I was surprised they paid for Mrazek, who is always injured. They might lose Campbell for that. I was expecting a $1-2M back up - not $3.8M for several years for Mrazek.
I agree. It made no sense.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
This wasn’t a possibility. The player gets this signed, sealed, and delivered(registered with the league) asap as not to risk injury changing the Leafs’ mind. You’re incredibly naive if you think an agent would allow a player to let the team hold back on registering the deal to help out the perceived trade leverage of the Leafs as pertains to their assets.

As long as it's signed and dated..., Say January, and the agent has the original.....

I'm not sure how the league would know if it's between the player, agent, and GM.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
As long as it's signed and dated..., Say January, and the agent has the original.....

I'm not sure how the league would know if it's between the player, agent, and GM.
I think that very possibility of uncertainty is why the player would never risk waiting.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Hate that we re-signed him but he very likely gets a good amount more on the open market. Still don’t like him as a player tho

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I agree. It made no sense.

I believe their thinking was that Campbell is also always injured and their 3rd string goalie is Michael Hutchinson. They needed a guy that could start for weeks, possibly months if/when Campbell gets hurt.

If the Mrazek signing makes them lose Campbell then it blows up in his Dubas' face. I think they can send Kerfoot packing in the summer with a pick attached if needed, which would give them the space to re-sign Campbell.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It's not a bad number in a vacuum, but I don't like it for the Leafs for two reasons.

1. Timing. This basically guarantees that they have to move Nylander or Marner because they won't (and shouldn't) move Matthews and can't move Tavares.
It's very possible that with another unsuccessful playoffs, they would have done so anyway. But they have lost any leverage because other GMs will know they absolutely have to deal one of them. Both good players, who will potentially be sold for pennies on the dollar.

2. It's more of the same. Currently they have more than half of their cap tied up in 5 players who more or less all contribute to the same part of the game. It's pure offense. Matthews is becoming slightly more two-way, and Marner can kill penalties. But essentially, it's 5 players who are paid exhorbitant amounts for their offense. It leaves little money for high level defensive players, grinding players, or goaltending.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
1.5 less than he gets on the open market. Excellent job by Dubas on this one.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Dislike the Leafs. Greatly dislike Dubas, but this is actually a very nice signing by him. Great deal for the franchise. Congratulations to my Ontarian neighbours

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I don't see Reilly as a 1d but he definitely left money on the table. Good signing by TML who definitely needed him at this price.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
the only thing Nurse has over Rielly is 3" taller and a couple million more in cap hit.

defensively Nurse is average (not that Rielly is any better) and offensively, pre McDavid Nurse didnt even have an offense.

/edit my bad, i thought Nurse was around before
What was Riellys point totals before Matthews and Marner arrived? Or are you just ignoring that part and only McDavid makes the players around him better?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
This is not a bad contract. Rielly is a definite top pairing guy and I was worried after some of the contracts being thrown around in the summer he was going to ask for 9+.

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
It's not a bad number in a vacuum, but I don't like it for the Leafs for two reasons.

1. Timing. This basically guarantees that they have to move Nylander or Marner because they won't (and shouldn't) move Matthews and can't move Tavares.
It's very possible that with another unsuccessful playoffs, they would have done so anyway. But they have lost any leverage because other GMs will know they absolutely have to deal one of them. Both good players, who will potentially be sold for pennies on the dollar.

2. It's more of the same. Currently they have more than half of their cap tied up in 5 players who more or less all contribute to the same part of the game. It's pure offense. Matthews is becoming slightly more two-way, and Marner can kill penalties. But essentially, it's 5 players who are paid exhorbitant amounts for their offense. It leaves little money for high level defensive players, grinding players, or goaltending.

The thing is everyone says every year Dubas won't be able to re-sign someone and he magically does. A lot of this opinion is out the window. Let's wait another 20 games before the wahmbulance revs up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad