Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Kasperi Kapanen (3yrs, $3.2M AAV) & Andreas Johnsson (4yrs, $3.4M AAV)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Kapanen must really like Toronto!
... or whatever team he gets traded to in the early days of July after TOR has paid the $3.7M signing bonus on his new contract.

My CAR were fools to take Marleau instead of Kapanen, just to end up paying $3M + 2/3 x $1.25M for him for *not* to play. Talk about ball drop.

Reactions: TopCheese

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Leafs have 5.4 in space to signMarner, replace Gardner and fix that blueline ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Did you really just compare a 22 and 24 year old to a 28 and 30 year old? Really? That’s your argument?

They're all getting paid for the same production, what exactly is your point? theoretically rfa years should be cheaper too.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
5.3 more for Horton LTIR, 2.1 for trading brown, and potentially 4.5 more from trading Zaitsev

I like the optimism but they already spent their first round pick moving marleau… without it I dont see how they dump Zaitsev

dumping brown very likely means taking back a similar contract so you are very optimistic expecting any cap relief there

Horton should create some cap relief... but remember the team has to be cap compliant to start the season. ltir only helps after you are cap compliant to begin with. in order to get 5.3 saving from Horton the team has to somehow fit that into the cap

usually teams do this by sending other guys making 5.3 to the minors and then recalling them... but if Toronto does that those guys will be claimed on waivers.

this is a very bad situation made much worst because theres no honesty involved. the Toronto front office continues to sell its fans the poison koolaid. weve already seen the team give away its first round pick to try to maintain what they already had last year and it didnt fix the problem... more hurting is going to come

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I like the optimism but they already spent their first round pick moving marleau… without it I dont see how they dump Zaitsev

dumping brown very likely means taking back a similar contract so you are very optimistic expecting any cap relief there

Horton should create some cap relief... but remember the team has to be cap compliant to start the season. ltir only helps after you are cap compliant to begin with. in order to get 5.3 saving from Horton the team has to somehow fit that into the cap

usually teams do this by sending other guys making 5.3 to the minors and then recalling them... but if Toronto does that those guys will be claimed on waivers.

this is a very bad situation made much worst because theres no honesty involved. the Toronto front office continues to sell its fans the poison koolaid. weve already seen the team give away its first round pick to try to maintain what they already had last year and it didnt fix the problem... more hurting is going to come

Even if the Leafs retain Zaitsev if wouldn't be the end of the world, there has been lots of speculation that Zaitsev could return a 5th or something along that line. Brown, at a 2.1 caphit is not going to be hard to move, many teams will give a mid pick for a guy who can PK and has scored 20 goals.

I think the Leafs D will be worse this year, and I believe that they are really banking on Sandin and Liljegren putting their dcorp into championship quality.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
These are incredible deals but I love how most people ignore that and talk about Marner. If this was Vegas for example, this thread would be full of people saying what a steal these are.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
^ Until the day before yesterday the idea was that other teams would poach these guys with good $4-million offe r sheets that the Leafs couldn't match.

Now that they're both signed to multi-year contracts for much less, apparently the Leafs still can't get it right.

I actually enjoy the contortions people go through to diss the Leafs. The Leafs surely don't suffer for want of attention.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
... or whatever team he gets traded to in the early days of July after TOR has paid the $3.7M signing bonus on his new contract.

My CAR were fools to take Marleau instead of Kapanen, just to end up paying $3M + 2/3 x $1.25M for him for *not* to play. Talk about ball drop.
Doubt that happens considering he was in Toronto for the signing, met with the media right away etc.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Leafs have 5.4 in space to signMarner, replace Gardner and fix that blueline ?

6.9 + 5.3 from Horton's LTIR so ~12.2 mill. That also includes a roster with Brown, Kadri and Zaitsev which could be traded for more cap space.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The defense won't be fixed this year
That's what I've been saying all along. For some reason people think it all has to be done today. Everyone knew this was the tight year. They are banking on Liljegren and Sandin and will add next year, unless a suitable trade pops up.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Good deals at least they didnt pay 7M for a guy to produce like a bottome 6

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Doubt that happens considering he was in Toronto for the signing, met with the media right away etc.
Obviously we gotta sell it good. Kasperi may also have to publicly cry a bit and denounce the Storm Surge as foolishness after he "gets told". It's good that his natural face is the deer in headlights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad