Waived: [TOR] G Ilya Samsonov waived by the Maple Leafs (cleared)

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
His contract expires at years end. Maybe someone takes a shot at him? I’d be overly surprised but not totally out this world given that he was good last year and there is be very little risk. If he turns things around you may even be able to flip him at the deadline

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yaaaay! Our nightmare is hopefully over.

I’m glad that they didn’t sign him long term. There are very few elite goalies in this league and if your name isn’t Vasy, Sorokin, Shesterkin, Hellbuyck etc. you don’t sign them long term.

I guess this is what happens when you build a team like it's a fantasy league?

It’s not built like that though lol? Leafs are consistently one of the best teams in the league. He just played like shit.

Reactions: Ciao

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
And wasted over $4M in cap space on a goalie who was a third stringer come playoff time, got saved by sending him to Robidas island.

A scrap indeed

They got paid to take a cap dump. It happens.

Unfortunately for them, he got injured before re-gaining his form. Also, their former GM was going for anyone who played for the Soo - so it wasn't too surprising.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Nedjelkovic's stats are even better than Jarry's this year, and Dubas brought him in last year in addition to re-signing Jarry.

The reality is that non-elite goalies are voodoo and can be wildly inconsistent year to year. There is no real skill in being able to "evalute" goalies of that caliber, they can be anything from terrific to horrible. I think Nedjelkovic is a perfect example of this, he went from a Calder finalist to a bad starter for Detroit to now a terrific 1B for the Penguins. Samsonov is in the same boat.

I feel like the Leafs have not had a legitimately reliable starting goalie since Andersen. They just keep rotating through these Nedjelkovic and Samsonov caliber guys and hoping they can stick for a cheap price, which is great when it works but it blows up miserably when it doesn't work.

I don't agree that there is no skill. I do think there is skill in looking at guys and looking at their strengths and weaknesses and seeing if you think your goalie coach and style of system can get more (or less) out of them. This might be something that is truer with the better defensive teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad