Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] G Ilya Samsonov signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $1.8M)

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Depends on the dollar figure but if he makes 2-3M why not just spend the 7M you’re spending on goalies on a legit starter?

Reactions: Mosby

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It's a good bet to get a goalie with that pedigree. They can have weird career trajectories, I like the gamble to get a guy that was lumped in with Shesterkin and Sorokin for years while developing.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Relax man, I actually don't mind the move. You're too wound up and it's only 11:30!
I'm not wound up, I just think it's sad that literally everything the Leafs do there are people that need to talk shit. Can't even sign an ELC goalie without people making bad jokes.

Reactions: nofehr

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Lmfao Leafs never learn. Should have just paid a little bit for John Gibson and avoided all this mess.
Insiders were suggesting Nylander would need to be involved. Seeing that Gibson wouldn't have waived anyways and hasn't been good for a while that was never going to happen.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
I love it. I was hoping the Leafs would be able to draft him back in 2015 but alas it didn't happen. If it's under $3 million this could be a potential 1 B starter or solid backup for Toronto if he does work out.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
So basically the Toronto Maple Leafs are going with two gambles, and hoping one hits, if both fail, the general manager moves on

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Sammy is a maddening player to have on your team. He’s technically one of the worst NHL goalies I’ve ever seen but his size and athleticism makes you think he could, should, and will be a star. If Toronto can figure out how to get his head on straight it’ll be a good pick up.

Still, Murray and Samsonov as your goaltending tandem is the ultimate boom or bust scenario for a Cup-or-bust team.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm not wound up, I just think it's sad that literally everything the Leafs do there are people that need to talk shit. Can't even sign an ELC goalie without people making bad jokes.
You have to have thicker skin than that. Besides, I think Ottawa fans should be the ones to be able to do it without any ill will - as....we hate each other to the core.

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Not bad a 1/2 with Murray

Of course, it will depend if Murray can bounce back to being SC goalie

I feel better about this signing than last year with Mrazek

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Leafs retooled their entire goaltending this offseason. From the top right down to both goalies. Let's hope it works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad