Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen & 2020 3rd for Tyson Barrie (50% retain), Alex Kerfoot & 2020 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
mil
No way. We need nylander. Kadri was the price and we made the trade.

I'm really high on Bracco, I think his offensive skills makes Nylander expendable. I think his cap hit makes Nylander expendable. I think Nylander's cap hit makes Nylander expendable.

If they won't pay Kadri $4.5 mil to play 3rd line center, they wont pay Nylander $6.9 mil to play 3rd line center. Either Nylander plays with Tavares or Matthews or he will be traded.

Reactions: dsred

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Gotta be the softest team in the league now though. Dont have a forward that will even finisha c heck hard anymore, not gonna be good come playoff time

Reactions: Koolboss

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
sypher04, you are also welcome to disagree all you like

Point is that there isn't a shred of reasoning to conclude that the sentiment regarding Jake Gardiner was due to the fact he's American. You can push this false narrative if you must, but don't expect to not get called out for it, as even the insinuation is frankly insulting.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
1)
Dubas says he thinks our D is underrated

2)
Many fans complain that Dubas will do nothing to address our D

3)
Dubas acquires Muzzin, Ceci and Barrie

It's crow eatin' time folks! :)

People will always find something to rip on him for, we just got to wait and see what the new thing is.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm wondering how our pairings shake out. The narrative seems to be that finally, a partner for Rielly but considering style of play, might it make more sense to play Rielly with Ceci and Muzzin with Barrie?

Reactions: kb

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Gotta be the softest team in the league now though. Dont have a forward that will even finisha c heck hard anymore, not gonna be good come playoff time

You guys are such a broken record.
For the millionth time. We didn't lose to Boston because of a lack of grit. Anyone suggesting otherwise is wrong, period.

Also, saying we don't have a forward that will even finish a hard check is massive hyperbole. Did you even watch the playoffs?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm wondering how our pairings shake out. The narrative seems to be that finally, a partner for Rielly but considering style of play, might it make more sense to play Rielly with Ceci and Muzzin with Barrie?

I've been thinking the same, but I question if we want Ceci to be getting the same kind of matchups Rielly will be getting. At least not right away. I feel like part of maximizing him, or rebuilding his confidence will involve allowing him to face some lesser players initially.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
yup going to be nothing but stick checking again which you can get by with in regular season but is very questionable in the playoffs. Bit worried Dubas's age is starting to show itself where he's been taught his whole life to believe anything older is silly and stupid and antiquated so he will automatically go in a different direction than what has worked just fine for half a century. Maybe the raw talent on the roster carries us through but it really seems like Dubas is creating a problem he didn't need to.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Depends on how Babs wants to play it.

Muzzin/Ceci against other teams first lines and Rielly/Barrie against lesser matchups to maximize offense or the more balanced approach?

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
You guys are such a broken record.
For the millionth time. We didn't lose to Boston because of a lack of grit. Anyone suggesting otherwise is wrong, period.

Also, saying we don't have a forward that will even finish a hard check is massive hyperbole. Did you even watch the playoffs?
the Boston series was an anomaly where after game 2 the refs were told to call anything resembling playoff hockey a penalty and it turned into a bunch of regular season style games. Odds are the Leafs won't be that fortunate again.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
yup going to be nothing but stick checking again which you can get by with in regular season but is very questionable in the playoffs. Bit worried Dubas's age is starting to show itself where he's been taught his whole life to believe anything older is silly and stupid and antiquated so he will automatically go in a different direction than what has worked just fine for half a century. Maybe the raw talent on the roster carries us through but it really seems like Dubas is creating a problem he didn't need to.

Source?

Depends on how Babs wants to play it.

Muzzin/Ceci against other teams first lines and Rielly/Barrie against lesser matchups to maximize offense or the more balanced approach?

I'm just not sure how well those pairings would work so I suspect that more balanced approach would be best. What I'd really like to see though is a coach more willing to try different things to see what works best as opposed to deciding in the summer what works best and that's that. We'll see.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Kadri's toughness did help us in the playoffs.

Reactions: pulfordfan

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
the Boston series was an anomaly where after game 2 the refs were told to call anything resembling playoff hockey a penalty and it turned into a bunch of regular season style games. Odds are the Leafs won't be that fortunate again.

BS. If the Bruins were so rugged and the Leafs so soft (as people want us to believe) they wouldn't have needed 7 games to beat us. Them not being allowed to cheat doesn't change that. And further to that point, there was still PLENTY the refs let go.

Reactions: stopclickbait

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Has anyone checked on Pookie ? Is the guy going to be OK with Naz gone ?

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
Is anyone really surprised Kadri was shipped out? There has been rumblings for a year now and last years playoffs was the nail in the coffin IMO.

Reactions: kb

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Does anyone realize this team was under .500 in their last 40 games? This isn’t some juggernaut.

Dubas did his job and improved the D. Let’s get that shrimp Marner signed and see what happens.

Reactions: The Masters

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I appreciate that hits are only one element, but we have plenty of players who are also strong fore-checkers, so I don't buy that the bulk of his "soft" narrative isn't about hits. And working off that, it's interesting to note, this team did exactly what people asked for them to do in the playoffs and somehow it was completely disregarded.

There were 322 players that played in the first round last year.
18 of our players were top 195 in hits.
13 of our players were top 115 in hits.
9 of our players were top 100 in hits.
6 of our players were top 75 in hits.
4 of our players were top 42 in hits.

This team did not play soft. They raised their physicality to meet the task at hand. This team lost, almost exclusively, because our penalty killing imploded.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Obviously we have to see how the season plays out but I think Muzzin - Barrie has a real nice potential to be a solid pairing in the league.

And if it does, ensuring you have the money to maintain a D core of:

Muzzin - Barrie
Rielly - X
Marlies

Is a solid way to go. That’s 3 guys that can anchor your core. I like Rielly and Barrie as the offense on different lines, we can make decisions on Muzzin/Ceci for $ as we move on.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
mil

I'm really high on Bracco, I think his offensive skills makes Nylander expendable. I think his cap hit makes Nylander expendable. I think Nylander's cap hit makes Nylander expendable.

If they won't pay Kadri $4.5 mil to play 3rd line center, they wont pay Nylander $6.9 mil to play 3rd line center. Either Nylander plays with Tavares or Matthews or he will be traded.

Nylander is here to stay, his cap is really quite fair even now with Hayes and Lee getting 7M.

Its a terrible idea to move Nylander for space for Bracco. The only thing I could see happening is moving Kapanen for D is Bracco comes in flying and looks like a top 6 RW out of camp and into the regular season

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Would rather have this than someone who is out of touch and opposed to change.

We have always been stuck in the past. The second the salary cap was introduced, and the game was taken over by youth, we were behind the times in the mid to late 2000s. Things change all the time, I’d rather have someone who can innovate and adapt, rather than “Oh it worked in 19 dickety 2 so it will work now too.”

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nylander is here to stay, his cap is really quite fair even now with Hayes and Lee getting 7M.

Its a terrible idea to move Nylander for space for Bracco. The only thing I could see happening is moving Kapanen for D is Bracco comes in flying and looks like a top 6 RW out of camp and into the regular season

Lee scored 40 once and Hayes is a stupid stupid signing. A 6'9 million dollar 3rd liner on any NHL team is simply a poor use of cap space, on our team is worse than poor use of cap space. If Nylander is not on the top two lines , he is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad