Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Hockey East Defender of the Week

photo

Cade Webber - Boston University

(Sr., D)
Blocked 11 shots last weekend in a pair of wins for the Terriers, the second most in the NCAA and more than double nearly other player in the country. The 11 blocks brought his season total to 118, setting a new all-time single season record in the NCAA.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Can we stop bleeding all draft picks for guys that I wouldn't trust to pump my gas.

If Treliving isn't going to add something significant then just go into the playoffs with the current roster.

Enough of trading all picks in late round for the next three years.

It's a 6th round pick, I'd say about 2 of them will turn out.

Even if Webber turned into a 7th D that's still worlds better than about 97% of 6th round picks.

Reactions: Maple Leaf

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
we need to make as many picks as possible and restock the cupboards so I will just disagree with you.

also not really talking about just this trade in general. all our "upgrades" were pretty much pointless and a waste of assets.

I agree they do need to restock the shelves a little bit and that's why you won't see be critical of the fact they kept their 1st round pick.

At the same time anything past a top 5, or maybe top 10 if the draft is considered particularly deep is just a guess, an educated guess perhaps but still a guess.

Once you get past the 2nd round It's not even an educated guess anymore.

Rounds 3-7 is just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks.

If teams truly knew what they were doing beyond the top picks Brayden Point is not a 3rd rounder, Mark Stone is not a 6th rounder, Kaprizov is not a 5th rounder Havlat doesn't go 26th in 1999 and Zetterberg and Palat aren't 7th rounders.

But they were because teams don't know what they are doing beyond the top picks.

I'll trade a 6th, especially one in 2026 for a 23 year old 6"7 D man every day of the week.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Has 1 goal and 15 assists. In four NCAA seasons (115 games).

He's a defenseman. With all that the name of the position implies.

Nick Seeler is a big part of the Flyers' turnaround this season.

And New Jersey is likely to miss the playoffs due to the absence of such players.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's a defenseman. With all that the name of the position implies.

Nick Seeler is a big part of the Flyers' turnaround this season.

And New Jersey is likely to miss the playoffs due to the absence of such players.

Teams need balance. You need offensive players, you need finesse players, physical players, big players, strong defensive players. Few players are great at everything. Kid's a long shot, but if you can find a way to make a 6'7", 216lb kid into a strong defensive shut down guy, for the low cost of a 6th round pick, it's a worthy gamble.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I agree they do need to restock the shelves a little bit and that's why you won't see be critical of the fact they kept their 1st round pick.

At the same time anything past a top 5, or maybe top 10 if the draft is considered particularly deep is just a guess, an educated guess perhaps but still a guess.

Once you get past the 2nd round It's not even an educated guess anymore.

Rounds 3-7 is just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks.

If teams truly knew what they were doing beyond the top picks Brayden Point is not a 3rd rounder, Mark Stone is not a 6th rounder, Kaprizov is not a 5th rounder Havlat doesn't go 26th in 1999 and Zetterberg and Palat aren't 7th rounders.

But they were because teams don't know what they are doing beyond the top picks.

I'll trade a 6th, especially one in 2026 for a 23 year old 6"7 D man every day of the week.
im glad they kept their 1st. I didn't feel this roster deserved any upgrades. I also wouldnt really consider Lyubushkin, Edmundson or Dewar to be upgrades and lost Lagesson in the process for nothing

I also did say that this one I'm fine with. atleast this move isn't a rental like the other deals we made

and yeah rounds 3-7 have less of a chance to find NHLers but a strong scouting staff can find gems. not having picks is one way to not find any though

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
It's a 6th round pick, I'd say about 2 of them will turn out.

Even if Webber turned into a 7th D that's still worlds better than about 97% of 6th round picks.
It's a 2 3rds, a 4th, a 3rd and a prospect for three guys that can't crack the lineup on a regular basis.

The Leafs are in a cycle of trading future picks and they never hit the brakes ensures next year they'll be trading picks for 2026 and 2027. They are handicapping their themselves in the future from making deals of significance.

Trading a pick to get retention on Lybushkin? Treliving is JFJ like in making low energy deals that accomplish nothing.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Boosh has been solid since being traded Ed and dewar have only played one game so well see how those 2 deals work out and the cade webber trade is looking good so far hopefully he pans out

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
What are other trades for unsigned draft choices like this? Rizzo from this summer but that was a messier deal than this. TOR must have known they could sign him, and a 6th is better than nothing for CAR.

Do you think the price would've changed if he was a 2nd rounder or was it a case of a player being able to call his shot and there weren't many other bidders?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What are other trades for unsigned draft choices like this? Rizzo from this summer but that was a messier deal than this. TOR must have known they could sign him, and a 6th is better than nothing for CAR.

Do you think the price would've changed if he was a 2nd rounder or was it a case of a player being able to call his shot and there weren't many other bidders?

He said he intends to sign here. Who knows if he will but Toronto obviously believes they cam

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

I know Hyman was like that. He wasnt going to sign with Florida, liked Toronto so they traded for his rights.

Reactions: Buttonwood

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He’s 23 playing college hockey! Is there an age limit? Is he on the 6 year plan? Degree in geriatrics?

It's not that unusual. A lot of the higher end schools won't have a roster/scholarship spot for an 18 year old, so some guys have to play another year in the USHL (or BCHL in Webber's case) and start college as 19 year olds (and thus would graduate at 23). Some guys choose to stay for their junior/senior seasons rather than play in the AHL.

Devils signed Andy Greene at 23/24 and he played 1,000+ games in the NHL. John Madden signed at 24. Trevor Moore signed at 23. Matt Gilroy stuck around until he was 25, Matt Read was 25 when he signed. Riese Gaber is 24 and will be signing an ELC in the next month.

Probably a case where there weren't many bidders. Not exactly the same parameters, but we might see a handful of CHL guys get traded right before their rights expire on June 1. Islanders drafted Jyri Niemi in the 3rd round in 2008 and didn't plan on signing him. They traded his rights to the Rangers on May 25th for a 6th round pick.

Minnesota drafted Jack McBain with the 63rd pick in 2018 and they couldn't get him to sign. They traded his rights to Arizona for a 2022 2nd rounder (47th). Anaheim drafted Henry Thrun in the 4th round in 2019. He refused to sign and Anaheim dealt his rights to San Jose for a 2024 3rd.

Buffalo traded a 3rd for Jimmy Vesey's rights in 2016 and weren't able to get him signed.

Last edited:
Reactions: poobags

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It's not that unusual. A lot of the higher end schools won't have a roster/scholarship spot for an 18 year old, so some guys have to play another year in the USHL (or BCHL in Webber's case) and start college as 19 year olds (and thus would graduate at 23). Some guys choose to stay for their junior/senior seasons rather than play in the AHL.

Devils signed Andy Greene at 23/24 and he played 1,000+ games in the NHL. John Madden signed at 24. Trevor Moore signed at 23. Matt Gilroy stuck around until he was 27, Matt Read was 25 when he signed. Riese Gaber is 24 and will be signing an ELC in the next month.
And i can list the thousands of college overagers that never amounted to anything but we would run out of gigabytes of storage. Webber is unlikely to amount to anything. Hence the 6th round pick. He's a poor man's Hal Gil.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
And i can list the thousands of college overagers that never amounted to anything but we would run out of gigabytes of storage. Webber is unlikely to amount to anything. Hence the 6th round pick. He's a poor man's Hal Gil.

I don't think anybody was arguing he was going to be getting future Norris votes. But if you need to win an argument against something nobody was saying, knock yourself out.

But it a little funny that you can't wrap your mind around that there'd be 23 year old graduating senior. Plenty of other guys you can make Van Wilder jokes about.

Reactions: poobags

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
He is still at BU. Perhaps he wasn't going to sign with the Canes?
that time of year. Cade has done the full pull in uni so he will be a UFA in a few months. Leafs wanted to get ahead start. He has not signed yet so I think they have to may 15th to sign him? Or something like that

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
that time of year. Cade has done the full pull in uni so he will be a UFA in a few months. Leafs wanted to get ahead start. He has not signed yet so I think they have to may 15th to sign him? Or something like that

They'll have his rights until August 15th. If I were Webber's agent, I'd try to leverage into the ELC starting this season and have the first year burn. He'd have to sign a 2 year ELC if he signs in April or August, so there'd be some benefit in not waiting.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
They'll have his rights until August 15th. If I were Webber's agent, I'd try to leverage into the ELC starting this season and have the first year burn. He'd have to sign a 2 year ELC if he signs in April or August, so there'd be some benefit in not waiting.
I knew it was the 15th of something

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Think his teams in the championship, so won't be signing until his reason is finished anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad