Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ARI] Carter Hutton traded to Toronto for future considerations

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Just to speculate.
What draft pick(s) would Armstrong demand to take Mrazek’s contract after Leafs lose in first round again? 2x2nds?

Last edited:

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
This is cool. We have a GM who understands all of these processes better than we do and actually works with other GMs on mutually beneficial deals. I am not an expert here but TOR had the roster spot available bc Dzingel was claimed, this frees up a roster spot for us to take on more bad contracts / accumulate more draft picks from other teams. Doesn't hurt Toronto (maybe even helps them depending how you view goalie depth) and helps us quite a bit by giving us flexibility during the offseason.

Am 100% sure this was agreed upon at some point during the Bush trade otherwise this trade is just too random.

You do you, Bill Armstrong. Thank you for being a competent GM!

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Just to speculate.
What draft pick(s) would Armstrong demand to take Mrazek’s contract after Leafs lose in first round again? 2x2nds?

Probably pretty close. I'd say a 2nd and a 3rd in two different drafts. We got a 2nd and 7th from Philly for Ghost. He had two years of term, Mrazek only has one but Toronto is more in a jam, even more so with Mrazek eating up a spot in net.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Probably pretty close. I'd say a 2nd and a 3rd in two different drafts. We got a 2nd and 7th from Philly for Ghost. He had two years of term, Mrazek only has one but Toronto is more in a jam, even more so with Mrazek eating up a spot in net.
Mrazek has 2 years left.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Worst goalie in Coyotes history? (that wasn't like an emergency callup from the ECHL or something)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
With Hutton gone now and that roster spot freed up, I would expect one of these cap dump+asset trades to be coming up real soon
I prefer the ones in the summer, when it’ll be decent players that contenders would rather keep at the moment. I’m talking Lucic, Barrie, Scandella, Compher, etc. Guys that aren’t that bad and actually contribute, just not as much as their aav demands.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Toronto's situation is probably worse than you think, honestly. Take a look at their cap --

Toronto Maple Leafs Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Campbell's been lights out this year, so much so that they likely won't be able to afford him next year (he's a UFA after this year). So Mrazek has to be their starter next year even though he hasn't really been a starter before in this league. Good goalie but they're paying him way too much to be a 1B. The only way this gets fixed is if you're able to move Muzzin or Brodie (probably Brodie) but they both have 10 team no trade clauses. And then you also have to hope Bush is able to be a legitimate top 4 defenseman for them. Kyle Dubas what have you done and what are you doing

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Toronto's situation is probably worse than you think, honestly. Take a look at their cap --

Toronto Maple Leafs Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Campbell's been lights out this year, so much so that they likely won't be able to afford him next year (he's a UFA after this year). So Mrazek has to be their starter next year even though he hasn't really been a starter before in this league. Good goalie but they're paying him way too much to be a 1B. The only way this gets fixed is if you're able to move Muzzin or Brodie (probably Brodie) but they both have 10 team no trade clauses. And then you also have to hope Bush is able to be a legitimate top 4 defenseman for them. Kyle Dubas what have you done and what are you doing
How do we turn this into a free Matthew Knies?

Reactions: LittlePipes

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
I think you're misreading the severity of the Leafs' contract issues here. They have a few not great to bad contracts. Ritchie (gone now), Holl, and Mrazek. They will almost certainly resign Campbell this summer and jettison Mrazek to do it. Holl is a big negative, but only has $2 million left for one season. That's definitely a contract I'm sniffing around if I'm Armstrong, but not sure how much 2 million is worth for 1 season. Mrazek I think Toronto figures will only be slightly overpaid as long as he doesn't fall off a cliff and a goalie starved team like Montreal or us would take him for free or even pay a small asset. I don't think they believe they will need to pay through the nose to get rid of Mrazek. Unless he falls off a cliff the rest of the year. So I fear the negative value of Holl + Mrazek just doesn't add up to the best prospect in their system. As far as Muzzin and Brodie? They want more of them, not less. Brodie is the perfect partner for Rielly and they're looking for basically another of him on the 2nd pair. Muzzin hasn't been good this year due to injuries, but is also exactly the type of player they want to kill penalties and be a shutdown defender. They don't move on from him unless his body completely falls apart. So as it sits, they don't have huge problems for cap. I keep thinking of ways we could pry Knies out of them without giving up Crouse and I don't really see it yet. Was thinking maybe if we took on Holl + Mrazek + Ritchie in the summer. Obviously that is out the window now. If Muzzin is breaking down, I wonder if they consider Ghostisbehere to be their 2nd pair LD and would give us Knies for that. Again, doesn't seem likely as that roster doesn't really need more offense.

None the less, the dream of Knies - TBD - Doan still lives on for now... if only we'd used the Fedotov pick on Knies!

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Among all Yotes goaltenders who ever logged even 1 game, Hutton has the worst save percentage (.741).

Played at least 10 games: David Leneveu (.888). We actually drafted this guy in the 2nd rd.

Best sv%: Chad Johnson (.954)

> 10 games: Zac Bierk (.924)

Last edited:
Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Mrazek won't be the starter but ftr he has 4 seasons in the NHL where he started at least 40 games. He was signed to be a 1b. It will be a tandem situation imo, I woukd nit trust Campbell to be a tradional starter with backup either.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Among all Yotes goaltenders who ever logged even 1 game, Hutton has the worst save percentage (.741).

Played at least 10 games: David Leneveu (.888). We actually drafted this guy in the 2nd rd.

Best sv%: Chad Johnson (.954)

> 10 games: Zac Bierk (.924)

Anders Lindback and Calvin Pickard gotta be high on the list too.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I think you're misreading the severity of the Leafs' contract issues here. They have a few not great to bad contracts. Ritchie (gone now), Holl, and Mrazek. They will almost certainly resign Campbell this summer and jettison Mrazek to do it. Holl is a big negative, but only has $2 million left for one season. That's definitely a contract I'm sniffing around if I'm Armstrong, but not sure how much 2 million is worth for 1 season. Mrazek I think Toronto figures will only be slightly overpaid as long as he doesn't fall off a cliff and a goalie starved team like Montreal or us would take him for free or even pay a small asset. I don't think they believe they will need to pay through the nose to get rid of Mrazek. Unless he falls off a cliff the rest of the year. So I fear the negative value of Holl + Mrazek just doesn't add up to the best prospect in their system. As far as Muzzin and Brodie? They want more of them, not less. Brodie is the perfect partner for Rielly and they're looking for basically another of him on the 2nd pair. Muzzin hasn't been good this year due to injuries, but is also exactly the type of player they want to kill penalties and be a shutdown defender. They don't move on from him unless his body completely falls apart. So as it sits, they don't have huge problems for cap. I keep thinking of ways we could pry Knies out of them without giving up Crouse and I don't really see it yet. Was thinking maybe if we took on Holl + Mrazek + Ritchie in the summer. Obviously that is out the window now. If Muzzin is breaking down, I wonder if they consider Ghostisbehere to be their 2nd pair LD and would give us Knies for that. Again, doesn't seem likely as that roster doesn't really need more offense.

None the less, the dream of Knies - TBD - Doan still lives on for now... if only we'd used the Fedotov pick on Knies!

Yeah... I don't think I am misreading the Leafs' cap issues honestly. At least not materially. Please do take a long look at their cap if you haven't yet Toronto Maple Leafs Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Completely agree there aren't really any terrible contracts in there now that Ritchie's gone. But, their cap hits still don't add up. And I completely agree that they need more players like Brodie / Muzzin and if either were a cap casualty the Leafs would be worse.

Anyway re: cap, say they keep their D and then trade Mrazek in the offseason like you suggest, who is going to pay 3.8m for a 1B goalie for two more years? Which teams can even afford that? I don't think the Habs bc Carey Price will be back. It'll probably be us, honestly, but then it'll probably cost your first rounder or a second + a good prospect. Which means Kyle Dubas overpaid Mrazek on a three year deal last summer and 12 months later will have to spend a decent asset to get himself out of the deal that he just made. Again, what is Kyle Dubas doing?

Also, am not convinced they have the money to sign Campbell even if they want to. They're up against the cap right now, the players becoming UFAs next summer are all on cheap deals, they have to fill their roster with someone. They do have 1.2m coming off the books w Kessel, but Sandin will need a raise so there goes that. Anyway even if they're able / want to trade Mrazek, 2.5m of his 3.8m salary goes to Reilly's extension, not Campbell. Which means if you want to re-sign Campbell you'd probably also have to trade Kerfoot, but still might not give you enough money because Campbell's a UFA and will get paid by a team who needs a goalie upgrade (Edmonton / Chicago / Wsh?). I guess it's possible but I do think Campbell will get paid because he'll be the best UFA goalie on the market.

So that is why I think their cap is a mess. But seriously if you think the Leafs will re-sign Campbell (they would certainly want to), how much do you think it would cost money-wise, and how would you free up the money if you were them? Keep in mind Rielly's well deserved extension means his salary goes up from 5m to 7.5m going forward

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00