WJC: TOP5 Players

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Stone against average skating teams = god like

Stone against NHL level skating teams (Russians) = sloth like

There is a reason he was picked in the 5th round, outside he was injured most of his draft year.

For a sloth he sure found alot of wide open players in prime scoring positions. I guess the russians just thought he was sleeping.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Stone was the set up man yesterday since his line mates kept getting knocked off the puck down low. Stone generated alot of great chances yesterday, just too bad the goalie was hot for the first 2 periods.

newfr4u

Aug 29, 2011
no grigorenko love in any of these lists? the man looked better than yakupov in group stage, was injured, still playing, and everyone has forgotten him?

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
I actually think he was better in the finals last year, it was one of the most dominating individual performances I have ever seen in this tournament.

He was the best player last year and he is the best player this year its no surprise he is absolutely incredible. Even the games that he didnt score he is all over the ice. Seems like the puck is on his stick all game.

Agreed, although he had a five minute or so stretch against the Finns last year that was hyper-nova like. The most dominant stretch of offensive hockey I've seen in the tourney in recent memory.

I actually thought Vladimir Tarasenko was more dominant then Kuznetsov in the finals last year..Last night Kuznetsov played amazing though.

Debatable, althougth they were both amazing so it's really nit-picking in any case.

4thliner*

Any time Stone was on the ice there were 2-3 Russians on him ALWAYS last time. He was setting up teamates and dominating around the net in the first setting up both Strome and then Huberdeua in front of the net. They both choked hard early on point blank chances created all by Stone's work and strength around and behind the net.

Strome and Huberdeua also were not very effective because they were getting physically dominated against the boards and looked weak.

That is why I though Hay should have put Connolly on that line cuz if you watched he was the only one who took advantage of the Stone double team in the slot and by walking in and wiring one.

Strome scores on that half empty net chance he choked on, the place would be irrupting and this is a different game IMO. Hubby could have made it 2 nothing if he put that one in. Then Canada rolls.

4thliner*

Not saying he had a great tourney all together but Yakupov had a fantastic game against Canada.

Yakupov has been amazing. He can totaly dominate a game without even scoring, watch him in Sarnia.

To me he was the dominant player last night for Russia, Kuznetsov finished also with big-time moves but Yakupov broke the Canadian defence down.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Stone is too much overrated. He just gets his ass in front of the net and wait the pass from Huberdeau.

He didn't do a **** yesterday when it counted.

Have to agree, he gets overrated here because of his stats. He is certainly a good player, but not a top5 in this tournament, many of his goals has been tap in on an empty net.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
My all tournament team

F-Evgeny Kuznetsov
F-Mikael Granlund
F-Max Friberg/
F-Mark Stone

D-Nikita Nesterov
D-Jonas Brodin

G-Petr Mrazek/
G-Sami Aittokallio/
G-Andrei Vasilevski

My first two forwards require no explanation. Both expected to dominate and lead the tournament in scoring. Kuznetsov has been hands down the best player in the entire tournament. Granlund changes every game he is in and instantly the game freezes when he touched the puck. Would've liked to see him score more goals but he was constantly setting up Pulkkinen and his brother.

I was between Stone and Friberg for my forward spot and decided to give both the honor. Stone for his pure knack for the net in this tournament. He was Canada's best and most sure thing forward throughout the tournament. Friberg was pure clutch. The goals he scored against Russia and Finland were pure clutch. Also as the tournaments leading goal scorer its impossible to leave him off the list.

On defense Brodin really impressed me throughout the tournament. His skating ability alone changed momentum for the Swedes in a few games i watched. His puck movement skills will be useful in getting him to the next level. He can still improve offensively but finished with a respectable 4 assists so far. I think Nesterov was underrated and probably was the best all around defenseman in this tournament. And being the best defenseman on the best team is surely saying something.

For goalies I couldn't choose the best.

Vasilevski has been a rock for Russia and has done nothing Not to be named the best goaltender. If it wasn't for the flare and outstanding few games Mrazek had, which almost changed the scope of the entire tournament with his outstanding play on a mid level Czech team, or the fantastic play of Sami Aittokallio who almost brought the Fins into the gold medal game with his outstanding tournament.

All in a all a few non surprises and a few big surprises and good stories in this years WJC. Cant wait for the medal round games to finish off what was a great installment of this tournament!

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
For me, anyways (couldn't do a top 5)

1. Kuznetsov
2. Granlund
3. Huberdeau
4. Mzraek
5. Yakupov
6. Vasileviski
7. Pulkkinen
8. Gallagher
9. Connolly
10. Hamilton

So either you hate Sweden or you missed their games? Not a single Swede your list for TOP TEN is just wrong...

Friberg?
Brodin?
Larsson?

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
My All-tournament team:
Goalie:
Andrei Vasilevski (Russia)

Defense:
Brandon Gormley (Canada)
Jonas Brodin (sweden)

Forwards:
Yevgeni Kuznetsov (Russia)
Max Friberg (Sweden)
Mikael Granlund (Finland)

Vasilevski carried Russia through some tough games.
Gormley and Brodin simply provided their team with steady defense with a touch of offense.
Kuznetsov somewhat sucked in 3 of his first 4 games. 9 points in 4 games and they all came against Latvia lol but he was huge vs. Canada. Friberg has been consistently producing for Sweden throughout the tournament and same for Grandlund.

Gotta agree with this list.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Yup it is!!

he show me great mobility and nice IQ in is game

I did not see what you saw. I can't imagine a player having a worse performance than he did in the Czech and Fin games. Maybe I missed it....I hope I'm wrong and you're right because I was very disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad