Top Shelf Prospects: Rangers Edition

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
havent really seen shesty, but werent all of his stats at a really low level of competition?

Yes, but consider that he plays for probably the most talented team in the world, outside of the NHL, so its hard to break into SKA, especially for a goalie. He broke GAA and SV% records last year in the VHL.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
"Shestyorkin is will stay in Russia for at least one more season. Its unclear when the Rangers will be able to get him under contract and bring him to North America, but he has the talent to challenge Halverson for the title of goaltender of the future."

russian bias much ? that same old tired song and dance.

Umm... no... thanks for attempting to read our minds, but the Russian thing had nothing to do with it. In fact we have a track record of ranking Russians higher in the NHL draft than other people doing these reports, and typically speaking on prospect lists as well, so its not an anti-Russian thing at all.

The fact that he's a reflex goalie with a raw technique, that may not translate as well to North American ice had a ton to do with it.

Right now he's playing mainly in the VHL, not even the KHL (though he got a few games). Video coaches haven't really had a lot to work with, and teams haven't broken down his very unorthodox style. I put that as a big question mark.

Raw technique is a huge issue. Needs work on his angles, needs work on his rebound control, must refine technique to play at higher levels where raw athleticism will only get you so far.

so he's lower, in fact way lower than he should be for this reason. gotcha.

also, hes 6'1 and he's a "smaller goaltender" ? i guess compared to halverson he's small ?

Look around the NHL, average height of an NHL goalie... over 6'2"

http://www.tsn.ca/post-2-post-size-does-matter-at-least-with-today-s-nhl-goalies-1.119242

That number just keeps rising, not getting smaller.

Yes, he is by definition a smaller goalie.

oh, btw, he's the same height as some dude named lundqvist. 6 foot one. derp

yes lets compare him to a top 3 goalie in the NHL, derp.

his combined 2016 save % was .937 and his combined gaa was 1.76. those are stupid good numbers for a 20 year old kid.

ryan graves, sean day, ryan gropp and halverson (with his .907 % and his 3.00 gaa) are rated above igor ? perhaps if it were ryan shestyorkin he would get more love ?

laughable.

Quick how many of shestyorkin's games did you watch last season? Do you have any idea the level of competition in the VHL? We certainly don't. We've tried to chase down tapes and there aren't any. Huge grain of salt with those numbers when its literally almost impossible to see the talent level.

Question, Did you even watch any of his KHL appearances. Cause we did manage to find a couple of those before we wrote the report.

You are talking like an expert here, I have to ask how many of his games did you even see.

Cause the numbers may be great. The raw technique, relying heavily on athleticism, thats a question mark from the games we saw.

This isn't to say he's bad, just that we see Halverson's technique transferring up the ranks a lot better.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Umm... no... thanks for attempting to read our minds, but the Russian thing had nothing to do with it. In fact we have a track record of ranking Russians higher in the NHL draft than other people doing these reports, and typically speaking on prospect lists as well, so its not an anti-Russian thing at all.

The fact that he's a reflex goalie with a raw technique, that may not translate as well to North American ice had a ton to do with it.

Right now he's playing mainly in the VHL, not even the KHL (though he got a few games). Video coaches haven't really had a lot to work with, and teams haven't broken down his very unorthodox style. I put that as a big question mark.

Raw technique is a huge issue. Needs work on his angles, needs work on his rebound control, must refine technique to play at higher levels where raw athleticism will only get you so far.

Look around the NHL, average height of an NHL goalie... over 6'2"

http://www.tsn.ca/post-2-post-size-does-matter-at-least-with-today-s-nhl-goalies-1.119242

That number just keeps rising, not getting smaller.

Yes, he is by definition a smaller goalie.

yes lets compare him to a top 3 goalie in the NHL, derp.

Quick how many of shestyorkin's games did you watch last season? Do you have any idea the level of competition in the VHL? We certainly don't. We've tried to chase down tapes and there aren't any. Huge grain of salt with those numbers when its literally almost impossible to see the talent level.

Question, Did you even watch any of his KHL appearances. Cause we did manage to find a couple of those before we wrote the report.

You are talking like an expert here, I have to ask how many of his games did you even see.

Cause the numbers may be great. The raw technique, relying heavily on athleticism, thats a question mark from the games we saw.

This isn't to say he's bad, just that we see Halverson's technique transferring up the ranks a lot better.

Nice analysis. Thanks for that.

We all love ODC (guy you're responding to) but he's a Russian homer and will find bias when none exists, so don't sweat it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What are your concerns? Agility?

Since day one, I've liked his floor but not the ceiling. Outside of his shot, I don't see any standout tools, and he doesn't have the offensive instincts to turn that shot into a true weapon at the highest level. I also think his skating is good but often overstated.

He has gotten better every year which is a great sign. Still, I see a likely bottom-pair guy. I don't see the mid-pair potential (or better) that others see.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Roster-Crackin Rookies!

In all likelihood Rangers could have 3 rookies crack the lineup this season. The organization hasent had that happen since 2010/2011 season when Sauer, Zucc and Stepan cracked the roster.

2010/11 Michael Sauer, Mats Zuccarello, Derek Stepan
2011/12 Stu Pickles, Carl Hagelin
2012/13 JT Miller and Chris Kreider
2013/14 Cam Talbot
2014/15 Kevin Hayes and Jesper Fast
2015/16 Oscar Lindberg, Dylan McIlrath

Barring injuries, this year the club has 3 players highly likely to play their rookie season with the club, with a couple more players knocking on the door.

Brady Skjei- 7 games in a Rangers sweater last season. Based off the current roster Skjei should make the lineup this season full time.

Jimmy Vesey- Rangers went hard after him, they got him. Looking forward to seeing him in a Rangers sweater this season. I think its safe to assume he's going to play this season.

Pavel Buchnevich - Prior to Vesey was largely considered Rangers top prospect in the system. Before the Vesey signing Buch was penciled into this lineup. After the signing things might change but I would assume he has a very good chance to play a full rookie season.

A 4th player in Hrivik, who is my darkhorse to stick around this season.

Marek Hrivik - Cant count out the Slovak! Played only 5 games last season for the Rangers. Guessing it will be hard for him to stick, as there is a lot of depth on LW but cant count him out.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The path to the roster for Hrivik is to outplay Gerbe noticeably enough to make him expendable and waive him.

Not sure that will be the coaching staff's #1 thing to focus on in the preseason but there you go.

Gerbe and Lindberg* Are our extra forwards right now if we assume Glass in the starting lineup. I'd be surprised if NYR begin the season with 8 dmen so maybe they keep Hrivik around until Lindberg comes back.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
The path to the roster for Hrivik is to outplay Gerbe noticeably enough to make him expendable and waive him.

Not sure that will be the coaching staff's #1 thing to focus on in the preseason but there you go.

Gerbe and Lindberg* Are our extra forwards right now if we assume Glass in the starting lineup. I'd be surprised if NYR begin the season with 8 dmen so maybe they keep Hrivik around until Lindberg comes back.

I just cant see Glass sticking around with that much competition. Stanger things have happened however...

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Since day one, I've liked his floor but not the ceiling. Outside of his shot, I don't see any standout tools, and he doesn't have the offensive instincts to turn that shot into a true weapon at the highest level. I also think his skating is good but often overstated.

He has gotten better every year which is a great sign. Still, I see a likely bottom-pair guy. I don't see the mid-pair potential (or better) that others see.
The pleasant surprise is that he's continued to improve with each level. I saw bottom pairing potential but now I think his ceiling could still be top 4, granted he's not higher than a #4 and merely complementing it. Not comparing to Klein but similar to how Klein is being utilized or say a lefty Michael Sauer. Steady defensive, stay at home presence, chip in some goals because of his shot but not good enough offensive instincts, passing or offensive instincts to play pp. I'd rather he work on defensive and physical play than get pp reps in Hartford.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Huska is a good prospect. He did well when I watched him in the WJC.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
1. Buchnevich
2. Skjei
3. Vesey
4. Graves
5. Gropp
6. Kovacs
7. Halverson
8. Shestyorkin
9. Tambellini
10. Fogarty
11. Nieves
12. Day

Buch, Skjei and Vesey have legit shots to come off the list by season's end.

Graves is criminally underrated and should get a look this season.

Gropp is also highly underrated.

Kovacs has a chance to be a fast riser depending on how he adjusts. He always seems to exceed expectations and come along faster than projected.

Halverson and Shestyorkin are fairly interchangeable at this point. Both have a lot of potential to rise, but as a result of their position they are both further off right now.

Tambellini progressed well as the season went along. If he continues that trend he's a dark horse prospect to keep an eye on.

Fogarty and Nieves are both fairly close as well. Depends on how they adjust to the pro game and if they're able to develop/show an offensive games to go along with their defensive capabilities.

Day is here based on talent. While he doesn't have to match his exceptional status to be ranked higher, he does have to at least have a very good season. Until then, I can't justify ranking him higher merely based on his perceived potential.

Absolutely agree aside from flipping Igor and Halverson.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Absolutely agree aside from flipping Igor and Halverson.

It's going to be an interesting year for both guys. Igor has looked very good in relatively small sample sizes. I'll be curious to see how he does in a slightly less sheltered role.

Halverson's stats were brought down by a brutal first half. But he showed character, battled back hard and had a very good second half. In fact the only reason his numbers look somewhat passable is the second half he had. Part of me thinks the type of season he had last year is far more valuable to his development than had he come out and shined again. We'll see if my theory holds true.

The Rangers have some interesting goaltending prospects, but they all have some question marks around them. I still wouldn't count out Skapski after an offseason to re-calibrate. He's part of a list of guys flying under the radar who can jump right into the thick of things - Jensen and Hrivik are also in that group.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Surprised Hrivik & Jensen aren't getting more love on these lists.

In my mind, Hrivik has already proven that he can play 4th line NHL minutes. He can play both Center & Wing. He could easily be the new Dom Moore, except less selfish. When paired with someone who has a finishing touch (Jensen), Hrivik has proven to be an adequate set-up man as well. Management enjoyed what he did in his 5 games last year and has told him he's close. All in all, he may not be a sexy choice...but we know he can play. Jensen's smooth skating ability and ability to finish shouldn't be overlooked, either. He has Top 9 upside.

They are in my sleeper category, along with Skapski and Paliotta. I'd be surprised if one of them doesn't emerge as an intriguing possibility over the course of the season.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad