Speculation: Top RW to CBJ

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
This poster and a few others on the CBJ board confuse me. For this trade they are asking for RW which we are loaded with talent at. Bjorkstrand is an up and coming pure sniper and Cam has improved on his stats every year but last year and thats cause he missed like 2 months with a broken foot. And Anderson had 18 or 19 goals his rookie year and they were all even strength mostly 3rd pair and followed that up with similar numbers this year but like cam missing significant time. So our RW/G/D are honestly stacked. You wont find many if any teams in those catagories with more talent then us. Id say top 5 in all of those. LW and C is where we could use a little help. We still have great depth there at LW but theres room for a tiny bit upgrades. C we are looking much better this year but I would of like to have a move for ROR but it didnt happen. We have 2 kids in the system that are looking like they will be f***ing speed demons with potential off the charts but right now we are pretty average with PLD, Wennberg, Nash, Dubi, and Sedlak. Wennberg is a 60pt+ guy on an offensive based team and thats not us. Best example is wild bill. He was pure shut down here but you let him play offense his way he is unleashed. So I think a Wennberg+ for an actual C would be a goos move. Unfortunately the 2 guys that fit that option have already been traded or signed. Dylan Larkin right now is the only one I can think of right now that might work out. Trocheck as well.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Jones is elite as well. Hes pretty much guaranteed a Norris at least once in his career. Jones had 12 less points than Marner. AS A RH D-MAN! I wouldn't even have to think about trading Draisaitl for him.

Jones is 3 years older than Marner, Jones hadn't even put up 30 points in a season when he was Marner's age. Why don't we see what Marner is producing in 2 years time from now? especially with Tavares on his line now

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sort of my assumption as well which is why I was surprised the OP added Wennberg to the list of possible trade bait(for a RW)
That's largely because there's a contingent of Jackets fans who absolutely hate Wennberg because he's not a goal-scoring type, and while they used to be able to be fended off with the "he's improved every season he's been in the League" counterargument, his playing through injury this year rendered that argument powerless and emboldened them. As far as they're concerned he's not even worthy of being the #3C, let alone the #2C, because "he's soft" and "he can't defend". (Don't ask for justifications on either of those, and don't be surprised at the inability of anything whatsoever to shake these convictions. They just hate him.)

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Jones is 3 years older than Marner, Jones hadn't even put up 30 points in a season when he was Marner's age. Why don't we see what Marner is producing in 2 years time from now? especially with Tavares on his line now
yes look at his stats after they are inflated due to playing with a player far superior to him... makes sense... thats like saying lets check out Atkinsons nimbers after playing with McDavid for 2 years.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
yes look at his stats after they are inflated due to playing with a player far superior to him... makes sense... thats like saying lets check out Atkinsons nimbers after playing with McDavid for 2 years.

Isn't he still a 70 point 1st line winger at 20 then?

Oh and sorry, Rielly is better right now. Werenski certainly has the potential to surpass him though.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Marners a top line winger @ 20.

Exactly.

Werenski holds more value because of that exact thing.

Isn't he still a 70 point 1st line winger at 20 then?

Oh and sorry, Rielly is better right now. Werenski certainly has the potential to surpass him though.

How much have you watched Werenski? Werenski has 27 goals in two years with a barely-functioning arm last season. Rielly has 31 in 5 seasons. Werenski's defense is very good for someone at 20. Rielly's is also good, but he's 24.

Werenski aaaaalll day.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

So you're cool with comparing Marner to a player that's had 3 extra years of development on him? I also said that Jones when he was Marner's age hadn't even put up 30 points in a season yet

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
So you're cool with comparing Marner to a player that's had 3 extra years of development on him? I also said that Jones when he was Marner's age hadn't even put up 30 points in a season yet
Because he was behind weber josi ekholm and ellis... that team had stupid deep depth they were easing him in. If you want real numbers look when he joined the jackets and was given toi comparable to what a wing would get. Theres a reason Jones returned a 70pt 30g center without getting 30pts. And defensive players should never be judged based on points his defensive abilities are top 10 in the league. Like others have said if you want to look at points Jones was close to Marner this year. Hell he outscored johanson who we traded for him.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Because he was behind weber josi ekholm and ellis... that team had stupid deep depth they were easing him in. If you want real numbers look when he joined the jackets and was given toi comparable to what a wing would get. Theres a reason Jones returned a 70pt 30g center without getting 30pts. And defensive players should never be judged based on points his defensive abilities are top 10 in the league. Like others have said if you want to look at points Jones was close to Marner this year. Hell he outscored johanson who we traded for him.

Adam Larsson fetched Taylor Hall, doesn't mean shit. Funny how you cite TOI though, you are aware Marner receives less ice time than most top forwards because of how Babcock deploys his lines right? Leo Komorov had more ice time than him last year. People cited Jones and his point totals in relation to Marner who just finished his 2nd full season, all I did was compare where Jones was when he was the same age as Marner.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Adam Larsson fetched Taylor Hall, doesn't mean ****. Funny how you cite TOI though, you are aware Marner receives less ice time than most top forwards because of how Babcock deploys his lines right? Leo Komorov had more ice time than him last year. People cited Jones and his point totals in relation to Marner who just finished his 2nd full season, all I did was compare where Jones was when he was the same age as Marner.
He was on the 3rd pair which is the equivalent of marner playing 4th line. Marner wouldnt have put up 30 points with no pp and 4th line minutes either. But look at his numbers the last 2 and a half years and tell me how he has looked. You cant produce points if you arent on the ice.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Exactly.

Werenski holds more value because of that exact thing.

How much have you watched Werenski? Werenski has 27 goals in two years with a barely-functioning arm last season. Rielly has 31 in 5 seasons. Werenski's defense is very good for someone at 20. Rielly's is also good, but he's 24.

Werenski aaaaalll day.

So we have set a precedent that offense does matter for defensemen.

Ok great cause Rielly had 52 points this year. I'm not talking about who has more value, Rielly is better than Werenski right now. Especially with similar defense.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Adam Larsson fetched Taylor Hall, doesn't mean ****. Funny how you cite TOI though, you are aware Marner receives less ice time than most top forwards because of how Babcock deploys his lines right? Leo Komorov had more ice time than him last year. People cited Jones and his point totals in relation to Marner who just finished his 2nd full season, all I did was compare where Jones was when he was the same age as Marner.

Mitchell MarnerC821343:49
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Leo KomarovC741168:13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Why are you literally just making up facts?

Reactions: mikeyp24

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
So we have set a precedent that offense does matter for defensemen.

Ok great cause Rielly had 52 points this year. I'm not talking about who has more value, Rielly is better than Werenski right now. Especially with similar defense.
Its not points its goals. Its not hard to be the second to last person to touch the pass and it be completely unrelated to what happened. Z nearly hit 20 goals with playing half the year with 1 arm. And Z is better on offense and defense especially getting his stick im the passing lanes and joining the rush off of turnovers. The only thing Werenski needs some work is being a lottle more physical and throwing more hits. Reilly and Murray are closer talent wise then Weresnki and Reilly. The only difference is Murray is basically a stud shut down guy and not much of a shooter while Morgan is a better shooter and could use work on his D I saw him walkes a few times last year. I think in a year or 2 Nuti will be a good comparison to Reilly.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Its not points its goals. Its not hard to be the second to last person to touch the pass and it be completely unrelated to what happened. Z nearly hit 20 goals with playing half the year with 1 arm. And Z is better on offense and defense especially getting his stick im the passing lanes and joining the rush off of turnovers. The only thing Werenski needs some work is being a lottle more physical and throwing more hits. Reilly and Murray are closer talent wise then Weresnki and Reilly. The only difference is Murray is basically a stud shut down guy and not much of a shooter while Morgan is a better shooter and could use work on his D I saw him walkes a few times last year. I think in a year or 2 Nuti will be a good comparison to Reilly.

It's hard to do the comparison when all you hear on here is hurr durr Leafs defense sucks.

But we had 4 more goal against last year than you guys, we both got our butts handed to us in the playoffs 1st round and also kicked ur butt in the standings.

That would be hard to do if Marner and Nylander are 50 point players, Jones/Werenski/Murray/Savard/Nutivaaara are better than anything we have and also Bob > Andersen.

THE LEAFS DEFENSE IS WEAK, AND THATS CAUSE ITS COMPARED TO OUR INCREDIBLE OFFENSE. We aren't apes back there, no matter what you say.

You see the disconnect now? There is something wrong here, it's not like the Leafs were Arizona.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
That's a really lazy way of going about things.

Is, for say, Rielly/Trouba > P. Kane?

Either way, Werenski is a real good player, but I prefer Marner.
So Marner is Patrick Kane now? Okay.

I think the D>W thing only applies when they are equal or close in talent and value.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
So Marner is Patrick Kane now? Okay.

I think the D>W thing only applies when they are equal or close in talent and value.

Gonna answer for him.

Yeah, actually, probably WORTH more than Kane actually.

ELC, 10 years younger, same position, scored 7 points less, similar defensively (takeaways and such).

Marner isn't Kane, but his value is.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Gonna answer for him.

Yeah, actually, probably WORTH more than Kane actually.

ELC, 10 years younger, same position, scored 7 points less, similar defensively (takeaways and such).

Marner isn't Kane, but his value is.
Highlighting the relevant bit for extra emphasis, because I was otherwise about half a second away from inserting a "umm, wait for him to be in Conn Smythe discussion at all first" rebuttal. ;)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Highlighting the relevant bit for extra emphasis, because I was otherwise about half a second away from inserting a "umm, wait for him to be in Conn Smythe discussion at all first" rebuttal. ;)

Anyone who watched him in the 2nd half and in the playoffs can see he has a very, very real chance of being a prime P. Kane as his potential. He could even surpass him. I am VERY high on Marner, I would take him over Matthews as far as highend skill goes, but Matthews is more important due to position and play style. Marner is a guy who if you have the pieces in place to have a solid core (which they do) he becomes a weapon who can be used outside of those situations and teams can't really do anything about it.

Imagine when he gets stronger and harder to knock off the puck. It took Gaudreau years to get to that point to allow him to play in the NHL, Marner was able to just due to his skill. Once he is Gaudreau's age I am sure he will be most likely the top winger in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad