top goalie for 05

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrik0080

Sep 23, 2004
Which of these goalies will have a better NHL career?

Carey Price
Ondrej Pavelec
Tuukka Rask
Jeff Frazee

please don't just list the order, please give reasons why you think they will be better.

BeginPower

Jan 28, 2005
Montreal, Qc
Tukka Rask : New representant of the strong goalie corps in Finland. Not as strong as Lehtonen or Toivonen, but will surely have a good carreer in the NHL.
Carey Price : He scared me at the U18, almost lost the job to Pelletier. I am not sold on him but he seems like a sure 1st round pick.
Ondrej Pavelec : Had a strong U18. Can be a bust or not, surely one of the wildcards of the next draft, can go early 2nd or late 4th, we don't know.
Jeff Frazee : Don't know much of him so I'll let the others describe him.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Crosbyfan87 said:
Tukka Rask : New representant of the strong goalie corps in Finland. Not as strong as Lehtonen or Toivonen, but will surely have a good carreer in the NHL.
Carey Price : He scared me at the U18, almost lost the job to Pelletier. I am not sold on him but he seems like a sure 1st round pick.
Ondrej Pavelec : Had a strong U18. Can be a bust or not, surely one of the wildcards of the next draft, can go early 2nd or late 4th, we don't know.
Jeff Frazee : Don't know much of him so I'll let the others describe him.

Don't let one tourney fool you! A couple of years ago Ryan Munce had an unbelievable tourney at the U18, winning gold, but I didn't see him taken in the 1st round or much hype around him to this day!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Frazee's a pretty nice prospect. He's not first round material (although stranger things have happened), but I could see him going in the 2nd. It will be interesting to see how he does at Minnesota next year, as they really haven't had a top-flight prospect in goal in, well forever. Great reflexes and is a big game goalie.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
HabLover said:
Don't let one tourney fool you! A couple of years ago Ryan Munce had an unbelievable tourney at the U18, winning gold, but I didn't see him taken in the 1st round or much hype around him to this day!

Now, I know its hard :sarcasm: ...but try and apply that logic when talking about Jack Johnson.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
HabLover said:
when did JJ have an unbelievable tourney? :biglaugh:

Four nations tourney in November? :biglaugh:

EDIT: That wasnt even the point. The point was you're hypocritical when it comes to Johnson having one bad tourney and its cuz he's not good, yet Price has a bad tourney and its "dont let one tourney fool you".

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I've become a big fan of NAHL all-star Ben Bishop. He's this year's Mike Brodeur- plays in a league that doesn't get much credit for developing talent, puts up great numbers, then gets ranked fairly low. Bishop's draft position will probably be the same as Brodeur's, and I can see Bishop having the same good first pro year that Brodeur did.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
C
A
R
E
Y

That's how you spell franchise goalie. Don't look so much at the way he plays in one tourny, look at the way he dominates a WHL season on a team with 3 hot shot defenseman who can't get along good enough to make it past the 1st round of the playoffs.

Someone not too long ago said he had Patrick Roy tendencies when playing the puck, and that's why he felt Price wouldn't be a good goalie.

If he's being compared to Roy in any way, shape or form, I think he should be highly touted just for that.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
Four nations tourney in November? :biglaugh:

EDIT: That wasnt even the point. The point was you're hypocritical when it comes to Johnson having one bad tourney and its cuz he's not good, yet Price has a bad tourney and its "dont let one tourney fool you".

I never said Price had a bad tourney? :shakehead

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
HabLover said:
I never said Price had a bad tourney? :shakehead

You didnt have to. Crosbyfan87 said it for you, and you took it as implying it was a bad tourney. Listen, I wouldn't have started this if I knew you would be so "elusive" and dodge every thing I say. If you've seen these guys play what would be your rankings? And I wont say a thing if Price is you're #1 as this years goaltending prospects are quite close according to reports.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
You didnt have to. Crosbyfan87 said it for you, and you took it as implying it was a bad tourney. Listen, I wouldn't have started this if I knew you would be so "elusive" and dodge every thing I say. If you've seen these guys play what would be your rankings? And I wont say a thing if Price is you're #1 as this years goaltending prospects are quite close according to reports.

Crosbyfan87 never said Price had a bad tourney?

Can you show me where if he did?

Perhaps re-read my post, was it possible I was talking about Frazee or Pavelec?

But since were now talking about JJ, at least you agree w/me that he had a bad tourney! :D

NWDood

Apr 18, 2005
Vancouver
In my line of work I get to see a lot of hockey, especially in BC. I have seen Carey Price play many times since he was in bantam. He has the ability to carry teams on his back. When he was in Midget as a 15 year old he literally stole the rings off the fingers of a strong Kamloops team by stopping over 60 shots in a 4-1 Provincial championship win. He has proven himself to be a franchise player in Tri Cities, getting the MVP award at 17. Tournaments like the under 18 are like beauty pageants especially for Canadian players, it's every man for himself.

Price has proven over and over that he is consistant, plays a ton of minutes, stops a lot of shots and never pulls the chute. If I am going to pick a goalie who can get the job done at the next level, I like Price (nothing against any of the others mentioned). I've said before, going into the under 18 tornament he had probably played 30 more games than any other goalie there, plus had the travel to deal with out west. He just finished a tough playoff series where they lost every game by 1 goal, he stopped 70 shots in a 3-2 loss in one game that series.

I've met Carey on several occasions and have found him to be a bright well-mannered young man who is a terrific team guy and competator. I like what I have seen of him over the long haul not just a tournament. That's what professional hockey is all about.

wildslip

Sep 19, 2003
Kelowna
CAREY PRICE IS #1 he is a good friend of mine we goi golfing and he has a grewat attitude.. i have watched him play rep from peewees and he has been outstanding all of the years.. HE took our midget AAA team to the top single handed... Great guy Great Goalie

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
NWDood said:
In my line of work I get to see a lot of hockey, especially in BC. I have seen Carey Price play many times since he was in bantam. He has the ability to carry teams on his back. When he was in Midget as a 15 year old he literally stole the rings off the fingers of a strong Kamloops team by stopping over 60 shots in a 4-1 Provincial championship win. He has proven himself to be a franchise player in Tri Cities, getting the MVP award at 17. Tournaments like the under 18 are like beauty pageants especially for Canadian players, it's every man for himself.

Price has proven over and over that he is consistant, plays a ton of minutes, stops a lot of shots and never pulls the chute. If I am going to pick a goalie who can get the job done at the next level, I like Price (nothing against any of the others mentioned). I've said before, going into the under 18 tornament he had probably played 30 more games than any other goalie there, plus had the travel to deal with out west. He just finished a tough playoff series where they lost every game by 1 goal, he stopped 70 shots in a 3-2 loss in one game that series.

I've met Carey on several occasions and have found him to be a bright well-mannered young man who is a terrific team guy and competator. I like what I have seen of him over the long haul not just a tournament. That's what professional hockey is all about.

If were talking about Price's superior goaltending the last few years, then don't forget about the gold medal last summer at the U18 World Junior Cup in the Czech Republic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad