Top 5 running backs

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Bell has speed, size and can power run

He's the most exciting when he's on his game.
Peterson has clearly lost a step while Forte has managed to keep it going

Martin and Lewis have been the biggest surprises of the season. Freeman and Gurley are the new wave of elite backs.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
right now:

Todd Gurley
Le'veon Bell
Adrian Peterson
Chris Ivory
Doug Martin

I really want to put Devonta Freeman in there too, but I feel like he gets a lot of garbage time stats.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Peterson's problems the last two weeks have been mostly OL related, although he's definitely lost a little speed.

He's also been dancing a lot at the line a lot this year to make up for the lack of running lanes. Losing Sullivan/Loadholt really hurts.

All that being said he's still top 5. Him, Bell, Charles, Forte and Lynch in no order.

Gurley will be there soon but tough to put him there after only 4 games.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
1. Bell
2. Charles
3. Peterson
4. Gurley
5. Freeman

Lynch probably jumps back ahead of Freeman soon.

Still threw Peterson in there pretty high but don't let the stats fool you, he hasn't been good. It's basically one big run per game that's making his numbers look respectable. He's playing behind a bad OL and against some tough defenses but he has to own a lot of it too. His fumbling issues have returned and he has been really poor in pass protection.
Hopefully he's still just getting comfortable after such a long time off.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

As much of a young man's game as RB is, I have no problem putting a guy with his obvious ability in the top five already. All you have to do is look at any team's roster and see almost every team in the league would rather have Gurley over their guy.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
1. Bell
2. Charles
3. Forte
4. Peterson
5. Lynch

Too soon imo to put Gurley there.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I forgot Lynch, but I think he's still in my top 5. Not sure who I'd replace him worth. I can see the arguments for Gurley not doing it very long, but I think he's the real deal and I really wanted him on Carolina, but he went much higher than I expected. Freeman I think is the beneficiary of excellent blocking, but he looks good on his own too.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm gonna need you guys to explain the Forte placement to me. YPC isn't everything but how does a RB who barely cracks 4.0 YPC end up on top five lists? Is he only there because of what he does as a receiver?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'm gonna need you guys to explain the Forte placement to me. YPC isn't everything but how does a RB who barely cracks 4.0 YPC end up on top five lists? Is he only there because of what he does as a receiver?

Absolutely. For him his value is in his pass catching ability as well, he's a 3 down back.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Almost made this exact thread myself today :laugh:

I'd go

1. Lynch
2. Bell
3. Forte
4. Peterson
5. Gurley

If he was healthy, Charles would be here but a second ACL tear and the fact that he'll be 30 next year keeps him off my list.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
To be honest, I never liked Forte precisely because of those YPC, but I feel like he's had little help on the offensive line for most of his career, and he keeps trucking along, so I've changed my mind on him. Plus, yeah, I think you do have to factor in pass-catching abilities as a HB these days, and he's one of the best.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Bell (best all around back in the game imo)
Charles
Lynch
Forte
Peterson

Gurley? He's making a case but still need a bit of a track record. I too believed he was legit even after the injuries. Putting him up there would have been like when people started to crown Zac Stacy when he broke out.

Last edited:

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Peterson's problems the last two weeks have been mostly OL related, although he's definitely lost a little speed.

He's also been dancing a lot at the line a lot this year to make up for the lack of running lanes. Losing Sullivan/Loadholt really hurts.

All that being said he's still top 5. Him, Bell, Charles, Forte and Lynch in no order.

I think physically (speed and strength) Peterson looks no different than his 2000 yard season, which is remarkable for 30 years old.

His mentality is the problem for him right now.

He's been running like a stupid, almost selfish runner so far through 6 games. Can't hang onto the ball, bad at pass blocking and half his carries this year must have went for negative yards. His o-line isn't great but he still needs to trust them more and just use whatever measly hole they make for him instead of trying to do it all on his own.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
1. Bell
2. Charles
3. Lynch
4. Forte
5. Peterson

Gurley and Freeman is the next wave to break into top-5.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Call me biased but I don't think anyone can touch Bell at the moment. He's a true every down back that is elite as a runner and receiver. I haven't seen a player make tacklers miss like he does. Just incredible talent.

2-4 in no order:

J. Charles (before injury)
M. Lynch
A. Peterson

Don't have a 5th. Tough to judge RB's because 90% of a RB's success is his o-line and the offense around him. Maybe Forte? Gurley?

Next week Gurley, Freeman, Lacy, Chris Johnson, Ivory, heck even D. Murray could easily slip into the top 5.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think Le'Veon Bell is head and shoulders above anyone in terms of being a complete back. He's legitimately elite in the 3 main phases of the game (running, receiving, blocking), has an awesome mix of patience, power and finesse in his running game, and has absolutely fantastic ball security. I think he's quite easily the #1 RB in the league right now.

Peterson is still probably the most talented and well-rounded runner though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad