Top 5 players in the world right now;

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Having this debate with my roommate and thought I would take it here for some more opinions.

Who are your top 5 players in the world right now? If you feel inclined add your next 5 as well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Depends if you talk inner abilities or current form.

Too true. Since the english say that 'class beats form'...in germany, that idiom is reversed...and this is an english language forum, I assumed more the former than the latter, but we really should clarify this point if we want to get into deeper discussions on this topic.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I (alphabetically) can get to Benzema, Messi and Salah as top 3 and be good from there.

Reactions: Peen

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Taiwo has been very good so far this season. Should’ve asked for more

Don't think you could've gotten significantly more out of us than you already did...and Taiwo finally feeling at home in Berlin + his ESP with Kruse, are big reasons why he's playing with the confidence that he is. So I don't know that anyone else would've been willing to offer more than us.

I think the most you could've squeezed out us would've (likely) been a sell-on clause on top of the fee we paid.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No, you’re right. But he’s been great. I won’t be shocked if he’s moving up at some point

Yeah, I can definitely see him getting poached in 2 years. Not sure how high of a club he can actually star for, but I do think someone like Leverkusen, Wolfsburg, or even Dortmund, will eventually flash too much cash for either us or Taiwo to say no.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
On current form and overall ability, Benz is top 3 in any ranking IMO.
No idea why he's ignored by some here I'm guessing they forgot him.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
On current form and overall ability, Benz is top 3 in any ranking IMO.
No idea why he's ignored by some here I'm guessing they forgot him.

I don't really disagree too vociferously, as benz is a fantastic footballer who might be playing the best football of his career atm.

But I have a tough time parsing Haaland, Neymar, Benzema, Lewandowski, Mbappe, Salah...and I feel like I'm forgetting someone...for the spots behind Messi & Max. I think there are arguments you could make for each of them to be 3rd right now, depending on how you weight different factors.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tbh Ney has been bad this year, Mbappe so so.
If we consider current form AND inner talent, I can't see anyone but Benz and Salah as locks for top 3.

Reactions: luiginb and Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I always think about this as who would I pick if I had to play a hypothetical game tomorrow with everything on the line

And the top three for that right now would be Messi, Salah, Benz

Then there’s more debate to be had with spots 4/5

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I feel like y'all are underrating how much of a difference-maker norwegian-Awoniyi is already. Dortmund plays like hot garbage without him.

Whether we judge on current form or peak ability, Messi is the only player that I think it's clear is better than him right now; everyone else is debatable at best.
Tbh Ney has been bad this year, Mbappe so so.
If we consider current form AND inner talent, I can't see anyone but Benz and Salah as locks for top 3.

As I said, I was putting more weight on class than current form since, as you said, it's only been two months.

But even if I put more value on current form, I don't think I would be able to exclude viking-Taiwo from my top 3.

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Too true. Since the english say that 'class beats form'...in germany, that idiom is reversed...and this is an english language forum, I assumed more the former than the latter, but we really should clarify this point if we want to get into deeper discussions on this topic.

I think the phrase you mean is "form is temporary, class is permanent"?

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad