Top 5 Olympics prediction thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

Here it is folks. Make your top 5 prediction, and see who is the winner when all is said and done.

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Czech Rep.
4. Finland
5. Sweden

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
My take:

1) Canada
2) Czech Republic

Everything after that is a crap-shoot. The homer in me thinks the U.S. can challenge for the bronze. I also think Russia's going to bomb. A nice top six at forward, but a real lack of depth on defense and questionable goaltending.

espo*

Really hard to say.I think the top teams are Canada/Sweden/Czech from top to bottom.I liked Finlands chances and just had a feeling about them until the injuries started to come and now i think their chances of medaling are seriousely hampered.

I may have liked the Czechs for the top spot until losing Fischer and Havlat(which believe me is a big deal) but the trump they have is still behind the pipes and if you are going to have a trump card there is no better place to have it.Can they still play their game this olympics with more vigourous officiating on obstruction?you make the call.

Sweden has the talent from top to bottom but i really question leaving guys like Nillson off,to me they need those guys and may have gambled too hard on the games being called overly loose.

I think it's between Canada and the Czechs for the top spot if push comes to shove when being asked,can't say who is the better team,have to see some games first.

Why am i not talking about Russia? I just don't think they yet have the overall team to win it all.They could win but quite a few questions about their team make-up would have to be answered for it to happen IMO,but i really don't think they are in the top three for favourites.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
My take:

1) Canada
2) Czech Republic

Everything after that is a crap-shoot. The homer in me thinks the U.S. can challenge for the bronze. I also think Russia's going to bomb. A nice top six at forward, but a real lack of depth on defense and questionable goaltending.
I have the same questions about them.Though i do think the defense could surprise if they come to play.

SChan*

cyclops said:
Sweden has the talent from top to bottom but i really question leaving guys like Nillson off,to me they need those guys and may have gambled too hard on the games being called overly loose.

you mean leaving holmstrom off.

espo*

blacklabel said:
Yes, Nilson has been left out too.
Thought so.Mistake by them,he really should have been picked IMO.

This hannula guy they picked? who the hell is he even? is he another finesse guy or what?They pick him over Nillson,makes no sense to me.They can't be watching many Calgary games if you ask me.

joe_shannon_1983*

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Czech Republic
4. U.S.A.
5. Russia

joe_shannon_1983*

Not a lot of U.S.A. nominations on these lists thus far.

I think this team has the potential to surprise a lot of people.

I would even go as far as to suggest that the U.S.A. has a better chance, or just as good of a chance, than teams like Russia and Finland. Maybe even the Czech Republic too, due to their injuries and questionable team selections.

Team U.S.A. has very under-rated team speed, solid depth throughout the line-up, a ton of guys who are tough to play against, and a lot of experienced players who have won a lot of games/championships in the past.

If U.S.A. can get solid goaltending, then they will be a serious contender. That is a big if, mind you, but it can also be said that every team in the tournament has their own big if's that they need to take care of as well. If those teams can take care of their if's, then the U.S.A. possibly can too.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
cyclops said:
Thought so.Mistake by them,he really should have been picked IMO.

This hannula guy they picked? who the hell is he even? is he another finesse guy or what?They pick him over Nillson,makes no sense to me.They can't be watching many Calgary games if you ask me.

Holmström would be a lock for Team Swedens roster with 99% of all sane coaches in the world. I would also like Nilson on the team with his grit and team efforts, but I can somehow understand leaving him outside the roster. Altough I don't like it. Hannula is a 5-10, 190 pretty soft energy guy who played in the AHL two years ago without making any noice. He started this season pretty good in the SEL and therefore made the roster. I guess there is no one on these boards that think he should've made it. IMO it's even insane. He shouldn't be higher than 30th on the dephtchart among forwards!!

Sadly this is because of bad scoutiong and not the only mistake made by our coach so far. Here's some others:
1. Picking only 65 men to the preliminary roster when he could have picked lots more.
2. Not picking Hedberg as a GK to the preliminary roster. He hasn't been great this season but he is a proven playoff performer who at least should've been considered as a backup.
3. Not picking some talents that could've developed enough during this season to maybe crack the final roster, at least if injuries would occur... Examples are: Alex Steen, Robert Nilsson,
4. Bad scouting. The coach, BÃ…G, didn't even know who Doug Murray is. What's up with that? He's been on the verge of cracking SJ's roster for some time.
5. The sexscandal. Many here have different opionions about Lilja, Tallinder and Huselius future in Team Sweden. My opinion is that they should've been allowed to play long ago and that BÃ…G should've told The Swedish Hockeyfed that he makes the calls and they don't. Given the miscredit the SHF has gotten in media they wouldn't have dared saying no. Tallinder is needed on the team.

SChan*

B Boarding said:
Holmström would be a lock for Team Swedens roster with 99% of all sane coaches in the world. I would also like Nilson on the team with his grit and team efforts, but I can somehow understand leaving him outside the roster. Altough I don't like it. Hannula is a 5-10, 190 pretty soft energy guy who played in the AHL two years ago without making any noice. He started this season pretty good in the SEL and therefore made the roster. I guess there is no one on these boards that think he should've made it. IMO it's even insane. He shouldn't be higher than 30th on the dephtchart among forwards!!

Sadly this is because of bad scoutiong and not the only mistake made by our coach so far. Here's some others:
1. Picking only 65 men to the preliminary roster when he could have picked lots more.
2. Not picking Hedberg as a GK to the preliminary roster. He hasn't been great this season but he is a proven playoff performer who at least should've been considered as a backup.
3. Not picking some talents that could've developed enough during this season to maybe crack the final roster, at least if injuries would occur... Examples are: Alex Steen, Robert Nilsson,
4. Bad scouting. The coach, BÃ…G, didn't even know who Doug Murray is. What's up with that? He's been on the verge of cracking SJ's roster for some time.
5. The sexscandal. Many here have different opionions about Lilja, Tallinder and Huselius future in Team Sweden. My opinion is that they should've been allowed to play long ago and that BÃ…G should've told The Swedish Hockeyfed that he makes the calls and they don't. Given the miscredit the SHF has gotten in media they wouldn't have dared saying no. Tallinder is needed on the team.

exactly. We migth have lost a medal even before the tournament started. I'd say fire BÃ…G if his roster selections comes back and bites us in the ***.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
1. Canada
2. Czech/Russia
4. Sweden
5. Finland

I think it'll be either one of Czechs or Russia meeting Canada in the finals. The reason is that the Czechs outside of Canada seem to have the best all around team at all positions. Russia though has a scary offense that rivals Canada. Their defense is weak but in net Khabby and nabby aren't too shabby.

My heart hopes for a Canada/Russia final. I know almost for a fact that the US wont get there and Sweden should choke by either the quarters or the semis. Finland is just IMo going to fill out the rest of the top 5.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
1. Czech Republic
2. Russia
3. Canada
4. Sweden
5. Finland
Very similar final to that of 1998 too.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
If Canada loses in the semi's they won't win the Bronze medal game. It's just not in the Canadian psyche to compete for third place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad