Top 5 D prospects

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Hi everyone,

Been looking over our prospect depth chart a lot lately. For offense we have a lot of good prospects in quite excited about. We had a lot coming into the draft and Trotz and company killed the draft I feel. While it’s easier to see our top prospects for forwards and obviously our goalie of the future. I’ve been trying to rank the top 5 defense prospects to get more of a sense about them. Here is my top five, curious to see if others agree or have different view. See below:

1. Matier
2. Molendyk
3. Chistyakov
4. Ufko
5. Mackinnon/Olsson

I’m also quite curious about Sward.. Stastney…kulonummi…

I don’t see any huge studs here but also wouldn’t be surprised if one or more of them did develop that way. Poile knows defenseman and some of these guys have some big potential if developed right.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I was trying to figure out if you weren't counting Stastney and Livingstone or what... ?

1. Molendyk
2. Livingstone
3. Stastney
4. Chistyakov (he could be #2, but since he's not coming soon)
5. Del Gaizo / Ufko / Kulonummi / Wilsby (I don't have a way to order them)
9. Matier / MacKinnon / Prokop / Olsson (likewise)
13. everybody else?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think Chistyakov is our best D prospect and could likely be on our team now if he decided to come over, but I have very little confidence that we end up seeing him in Nashville. I think it's 50/50 at this point that he plays in Nashville. He just put up 27 points in the KHL as a 20 year old, so that's the guy that to me is the overlooked piece in our a D prospect pool.

I think the rest of the rankings are really just upside projection. I can see the appeal for Matier based on his size. He's also a little different than most of the others in the system at this point. Ufko took a little step back last year numbers wise, but without watching him it's hard to say where he is at in development.

I like Stastney a fair bit just based on how well he skates. I think his skating gives him middle six upside so I am excited to see where he is this year. He will be 23 for the majority of this season and he's still got less that 1 full season as a pro.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I was trying to figure out if you weren't counting Stastney and Livingstone or what... ?

1. Molendyk
2. Livingstone
3. Stastney
13. everybody else?
I mean molendyk and Mackinnon were rated quite evenly for this draft. Just because we reached a bit on molendyk in the first and got lucky with Mackinnon sliding I wouldn’t rate then that far apart personally.

Matier so low? It’s not everyday you get a big guy like that who can skate well and play solid two way game. Just my two cents.

I’m also higher on Olsson as well.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mean molendyk and Mackinnon were rated quite evenly for this draft. Just because we reached a bit on molendyk in the first and got lucky with Mackinnon sliding I wouldn’t rate then that far apart personally.
I don't know what rankings those are, but I wouldn't take them very seriously. We obviously had Molendyk ranked in the top-24 of the draft, right? Probably top-20. Maybe we had MacKinnon ranked right behind him, I don't know, but I never saw him ranked above the 3rd round, nor does he seem to possess the same kind of standout traits as Molendyk? :dunno:
Matier so low? It’s not everyday you get a big guy like that who can skate well and play solid two way game. Just my two cents.
I'm not sure he skates all that well? I mean, I guess when a guy is "decent enough" with a big frame, they say things like "skates well for his size", but it's not usually considered an area of particular strength for him? I think you'll see him put up lower offensive numbers as a pro. He is smart and has good size and positioning, and it's going to be those traits that are his best features at the pro level. He doesn't have the pure skill to get the offensive opportunities in the pros that he got in junior.

But I mean, I'm just going by second-hand impressions I read, though, I don't watch these guys anymore like I used to, so I don't think I'd take what I say very seriously!

I’m also higher on Olsson as well.
Yeah, I don't have any opinion whatsoever on Olson (or Kulonummi for that matter), not even bad second-hand ones! :D

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't think Matier stood out to me at camp, at any viewing I had. Obviously that is an extremely limited sample size, but I thought Molendyk exhibited the traits that got him drafted high.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't know what rankings those are, but I wouldn't take them very seriously. We obviously had Molendyk ranked in the top-24 of the draft, right? Probably top-20. Maybe we had MacKinnon ranked right behind him, I don't know, but I never saw him ranked above the 3rd round, nor does he seem to possess the same kind of standout traits as Molendyk? :dunno:

I'm not sure he skates all that well? I mean, I guess when a guy is "decent enough" with a big frame, they say things like "skates well for his size", but it's not usually considered an area of particular strength for him? I think you'll see him put up lower offensive numbers as a pro. He is smart and has good size and positioning, and it's going to be those traits that are his best features at the pro level. He doesn't have the pure skill to get the offensive opportunities in the pros that he got in junior.

But I mean, I'm just going by second-hand impressions I read, though, I don't watch these guys anymore like I used to, so I don't think I'd take what I say very seriously!

Yeah, I don't have any opinion whatsoever on Olson (or Kulonummi for that matter), not even bad second-hand ones! :D
I mean as far as Molendyk goes he was rated mostly as a mid second rounder. Mackinnon was typically rated as a late second rounder.
The hockey news magazine had Molendyk ranked at 48 and Mack at 57, but again that’s just off their rankings not our scouts so I see your take as well. I was hoping for Mackinnon with one of our seconds so I was just very happy to see us get him and in the third round to boot! He’s got a great all around game and great size.
But time will tell on all of these guys!

Same goes for Matier, I see him trending up and I agree he probably becomes more of a defensive defender then offensive in the pros but I mean if he can do that and still get the odd points here and there, that’s a solid piece to have. Time will tell as I say.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Is Stastney and Livingstone really that decent or just closest to NHL ready?
I just don’t see the hype train there, especially with Livingstone, the dude is a 24 year old undrafted free agent pickup. Does he actually have top four potential?

When valuing these prospects I see more value in someone like chistyakov or Matier due to top four potential, not NHL readiness.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I just don’t see the hype train there, especially with Livingstone, the dude is a 24 year old undrafted free agent pickup. Does he actually have top four potential?

When valuing these prospects I see more value in someone like chistyakov or Matier due to top four potential, not NHL readiness.
Depends by what you mean in your thread title. Does top 5 prospects mean, NHL ready or highest potential, because those are two different things. Molendyk has the highest ceiling whereas Livingstone and Stastney are probably the closest to NHL regulars.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Depends by what you mean in your thread title. Does top 5 prospects mean, NHL ready or highest potential, because those are two different things. Molendyk has the highest ceiling whereas Livingstone and Stastney are probably the closest to NHL regulars.

Definitely meant potential. My bad..

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
See above. It didn’t quote your message for some reason. I must’ve screwed it up lol

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I try to blend these things. Hence why I still had Molendyk as my #1. But I have also already seen Stastney and Livingstone hold their own in the NHL already. (I put one at #2 and one at #3 but they’re interchangeable to me.). But you have to remember these guys have also done great things at lower levels too. The NCAA Div 1 is a much stronger level than junior hockey. Livingstone had 35pts in 39gm was CCHA defenseman of the year. Stastney played for team USA in the WU18 and WJC. Then his 27 pts was second by 1 pt in his Senior NCAA season.

So they’ve had big years too. And then on top of that have continued developing to the point where they look like they might be NHL ready.

Even a guy like Wilsby, he had nice J20 stats too but the bigger key is he has also played 4 years against men and continues to get better. Chistyakov is probably our true #2, he is doing great in the 2nd best league in the world.

So to me, I really do value “closeness to the NHL” too, because to get there… to get close… a player has continued making positive progress. Not all prospects get close. Many players with nice stats in their final junior season like Matier never get that close. So guys like Matier and Prokop, ok they’ve gotten out of junior with nice accomplishments. But they still have 3 more years playing against men where they’re going to have to keep taking steps. And I just don’t think that is as easy as you might think, it’s not something I take for granted.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I try to blend these things. Hence why I still had Molendyk as my #1. But I have also already seen Stastney and Livingstone hold their own in the NHL already. (I put one at #2 and one at #3 but they’re interchangeable to me.). But you have to remember these guys have also done great things at lower levels too. The NCAA Div 1 is a much stronger level than junior hockey. Livingstone had 35pts in 39gm was CCHA defenseman of the year. Stastney played for team USA in the WU18 and WJC. Then his 27 pts was second by 1 pt in his Senior NCAA season.

So they’ve had big years too. And then on top of that have continued developing to the point where they look like they might be NHL ready.

Even a guy like Wilsby, he had nice J20 stats too but the bigger key is he has also played 4 years against men and continues to get better. Chistyakov is probably our true #2, he is doing great in the 2nd best league in the world.

So to me, I really do value “closeness to the NHL” too, because to get there… to get close… a player has continued making positive progress. Not all prospects get close. Many players with nice stats in their final junior season like Matier never get that close. So guys like Matier and Prokop, ok they’ve gotten out of junior with nice accomplishments. But they still have 3 more years playing against men where they’re going to have to keep taking steps. And I just don’t think that is as easy as you might think, it’s not something I take for granted.
I totally get your point on this. And yes being close to NHL ready is a big plus. I just mean I would rather have that guy that hasn’t carved out the 3 years or so in between and didn’t drop off but didn’t really improve either. Maybe he’s a 6/7 nhl defender which is always needed. I just like having the younger guy that is a question mark. Will he get better? Worse? Or break even? Will he make it or not? Who knows. I would rather have a guy like Chistyakov and wait a few seasons and have a top four guy than take livingstone and have a 6/7 defender.

But I agree as in Chistyakov or Matier may never develop at all. So it’s a gamble. But a gamble I’m willing to take.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I totally get your point on this. And yes being close to NHL ready is a big plus. I just mean I would rather have that guy that hasn’t carved out the 3 years or so in between and didn’t drop off but didn’t really improve either. Maybe he’s a 6/7 nhl defender which is always needed. I just like having the younger guy that is a question mark. Will he get better? Worse? Or break even? Will he make it or not? Who knows. I would rather have a guy like Chistyakov and wait a few seasons and have a top four guy than take livingstone and have a 6/7 defender.

But I agree as in Chistyakov or Matier may never develop at all. So it’s a gamble. But a gamble I’m willing to take.
For the record, I have Chistyakov in the “ close to NHL ready” category, like Stastney and Livingstone. As opposed to junior guys like Matier and Prokop in the “long way to go” category.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

1. Molendyk
2. Livingstone
3. Stastney
13. everybody else?

I saw the Milwaukee players about 40 games last season.

I have also seen Ufko play one game in Milwaukee in December. (Notice the spacing).

At the moment, Ufko isn't half the player that Del Gaizo or Wilsby are. Maybe he had a bad game, but he definitely didn't look like the second coming of Bobby Orr. Maybe he will improve A LOT? Maybe if he gets off of that 13-17-5 team, he will look better (-12)? He also scored 7 less points than in his first year at U Mass - Amherst. He was still the #3 scorer on that team.

They lost to Clarkson 6-3 and defeated Lake Superior State 4-1 for third place.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

I have also seen Ufko play one game in Milwaukee in December. (Notice the spacing).

At the moment, Ufko isn't half the player that Del Gaizo or Wilsby are. Maybe he had a bad game, but he definitely didn't look like the second coming of Bobby Orr. Maybe he will improve A LOT? Maybe if he gets off of that 13-17-5 team, he will look better (-12)? He also scored 7 less points than in his first year at U Mass - Amherst. He was still the #3 scorer on that team.

I would say some of it is likely age and experience related. Ufko is 20, Del Gaizo 23, and Wilsby 22. A little more seasoning is in order. Id personally probably put them in around the same tier just some are further along in development then others

Reactions: maplepred

Preds Fan

Jul 20, 2023

I think Ufko wasn't playing with UMASS in Milwaukee and was at World Juniors playing for team USA. Maybe you were watching Scott Morrow? That UMASS team was bad last year.

I think if Del Gaizo was gonna make it they would have called him up already at this point, especially last year with all the injuries.

I have it based upon age and future projected development as

1. Molendyk
2. Chistyakov
3. Matier/Ufko
5. Stasney
6. Livingstone
7. The rest

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I think Ufko wasn't playing with UMASS in Milwaukee and was at World Juniors playing for team USA. Maybe you were watching Scott Morrow? That UMASS team was bad last year.

I think if Del Gaizo was gonna make it they would have called him up already at this point, especially last year with all the injuries.

I have it based upon age and future projected development as

1. Molendyk
2. Chistyakov
3. Matier/Ufko
5. Stasney
6. Livingstone
7. The rest
I have the program from the event and a photo of Ufko on my phone from one of the warm up sessions. I was at the arena at 3 PM when the doors opened so I could park for free and see all of both games both days at 4 PM and 7 PM. The games were December 28th and 29th. Maybe he played on the 28th and then flew to Canada to join the World Juniors, which ran from December 26th to January 5th. U Mass lost their first game in Milwaukee to Clarkson 6-3.

Marc Del Gaizo played 3 years at U Mass Amherst. His numbers went down each year. It makes me think that the coaching staff did not do a good job with him. He is 23. I don't think his NHL career is over. Dman and goalies are usually older than forwards when they hit the NHL. Unless you are Bedard.

Welcome to the HF Boards.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe it is too soon, but with Locmelis and Suniev joining, plus Gorman transferring from Princeton, they might have a little more scoring up front again in the next couple years. (Plus they have that huge goalie Hrabal coming too).

I was surprised when they called up Stastney instead, tbh. Because just from the stats-watching armchair, it seemed like Del Gaizo was playing a bigger role in Milwaukee, and would have been the more expected first callup amongst the prospect D. But I guess they (rightly as it turned out!) realized that Stastney's superior skating was actually a better fit for playing against NHL competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad