Top 42 2024 NHL Draft List - With Tiers

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
So far how I would rank the top 42, would love to discuss!

Tier One
Franchise talent, potential swiss army knife 1C.
1 - M Celebrini

Tier Two
All potential # 1D.
2 - C Yakemchuk
3 - Z Parekh
4 - A Levshunov
5 - S Dickinson

Tier Three
All have played and excelled against men and possess elite potential, however hold some more question marks than the above. ie) Demidov and Russia Situation, Silayev and offensive ceiling, Helenius size translating to next level as a center.

6 - A Silayev
7 - I Demidov
8 - K Helenius

Tier Four
While this tier does have some serious upside, I can see them panning out all as really reliable role players that chip in offensively.

9 - L Greentree
10 - T Iginla
11- M Bransesgg Nygard
12 - Lucas Peterson
13 - D Letourneau

Tier Five
All have elite potential, however I do not feel as confident with this group reaching their ceiling as the above. Boom or bust range, if you will.

14 - A Kiviharju
15 - M Gridin
16 - B Catton
17 - C Eiserman
18 - T ParascaK

Tier Six
All have top 6/top 4/1G potential if developed correctly.
19 - E Hemming
20 - E Chernyshov
21 - A Jiricek

22 - C Lindstrom
23 - T Connelly
24 - C Elick
25 - C Beaudoin
26 - M Hage
27 - S Boisvert
28 - T Adams
29 - N Artamonov
30 - Emery
31 - B Sennecke

32 - Z Buuim
33 - J Fisher
34 - J Bodin
35 - B Danford
36 - P Blais- Savoie
37 - J Connor
38 - A Boija
39 - M Fernstrom
40 - V Gustafsson
42 - R Badinka

HM (Looked good from viewings, need to see more, though.)
O Allard
J Luchanko
P Alcos
L Ashton
O Becher
A Belusko
A Jecho

Last edited:

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
I think you're gonna have a very difficult time, and rightfully so, convincing people that Lindstrom and Buium are where they're at
Not trying to convince people but willing to share my thoughts as to why I have them ranked there.

To condense it, they are both overhyped.

Lindstroms skating is God awful. I would not touch that with a top pick. Combined with McKenna factor/injures, no thanks. Don’t get me wrong, I love the size and physicality. I just don’t see the chances of his offense translating that high. I see a middle 6 injury prone center where you are always left wanting more but he can never build momentum because he is always getting injured.

Buuim - Undersized, is nearly old enough to be a 23 eligible, overhyped because of a successful team run, and quite honestly, I just don’t see his game translating like the others I listed before him.

Reactions: kp61c

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not trying to convince people but willing to share my thoughts as to why I have them ranked there.

To condense it, they are both overhyped.

Lindstroms skating is God awful. I would not touch that with a top pick. Combined with McKenna factor/injures, no thanks. Don’t get me wrong, I love the size and physicality. I just don’t see the chances of his offense translating that high. I see a middle 6 injury prone center where you are always left wanting more but he can never build momentum because he is always getting injured.

Buuim - Undersized, is nearly old enough to be a 23 eligible, overhyped because of a successful team run, and quite honestly, I just don’t see his game translating like the others I listed before him.
6' and born in December?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Watched him play in person
That settles it then.

I do respect pulling 2 of the "consensus" top 10 way out, since we all know that it's not going to go 10 for 10, probably not even 7 for 10. Just not sure the critique for Buium holds up, since it immediately went from "almost eligible for the 2023 draft" to "played with 2005s" pretty quickly.

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
That settles it then.

I do respect pulling 2 of the "consensus" top 10 way out, since we all know that it's not going to go 10 for 10, probably not even 7 for 10. Just not sure the critique for Buium holds up, since it immediately went from "almost eligible for the 2023 draft" to "played with 2005s" pretty quickly.
It goes beyond what I listed above, I tried to keep it as short as possible. I can go more into detail with his play and why I believe the likelihood of his game translating isn't very high, more concisely, if you'd like. With being an 05 and playing with 05's throughout most of his career, the vast majority of those 05's were 23 eligible, hence why he is practically a 23 eligible. Regardless, I find that point to be trivial in comparison to some of the warts I notice in his game.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
It goes beyond what I listed above, I tried to keep it as short as possible. I can go more into detail with his play and why I believe the likelihood of his game translating isn't very high, more concisely, if you'd like. With being an 05 and playing with 05's throughout most of his career, the vast majority of those 05's were 23 eligible, hence why he is practically a 23 eligible. Regardless, I find that point to be trivial in comparison to some of the warts I notice in his game.
I’d love to see more detail on why you think his game won’t translate personally. He’s a very smart player who seems easily protectable to me personally. I don’t get why a December birthday is viewed as such a negative, he’s younger than other players like Levshunov and a handful of weeks away from being an 06. He’s also likely around 5’10.5/5’11 right now, with a brother that is 6’4 so the size critique doesn’t make sense to me either. I’d like to hear some of these warts because all I’ve seen in regards to warts in his gameplay (from everyone, not specifically calling you out) is “mediocre skating”. I also don’t quite get how his team run has anything to do with his hype? Many people, myself included have had him ranked in the top five for a while, way before his tournament run and even before he stormed past Levshunov production wise.

Did you happen to watch his play at the WJC? He was really dominating exits and entries, facilitating offense and also playing solid defense against older guys. It really changed my perspective of him.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I appreciate the take but disagree mostly.

Kiviharju as a first rounder seems very unlikely. This is the most egregious and an explanation is required.

Lindström, I am not as high as some others but yeah, your take is rough. I look at Lindstrom's skating vs Parascak's and think which one seems more impressive, I have no doubt it's Lindstrom, but he has the injury question mark.

Catton too, I do not like him #3 good, like quite a bit seem to. But he is one of the best forwards no question. Right there after Celebrini and Demidov, with Helenius, Iginla, Lindstrom, Greentree maybe. He can run a teams offense convincingly but how will he adjust as to me, he does have to add quickness, tenacity or outsmart at the next level.

Buium overhyped? I don't know. Seems appropriately hyped, he does a lot of things at high level, and he isn't tiny. If he was any bigger he would be the clearly best defenseman. Now it's a debate, and definitely not in the teens to me.

Reactions: BerthMania

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
I’d love to see more detail on why you think his game won’t translate personally. He’s a very smart player who seems easily protectable to me personally. I don’t get why a December birthday is viewed as such a negative, he’s younger than other players like Levshunov and a handful of weeks away from being an 06. He’s also likely around 5’10.5/5’11 right now, with a brother that is 6’4 so the size critique doesn’t make sense to me either. I’d like to hear some of these warts because all I’ve seen in regards to warts in his gameplay (from everyone, not specifically calling you out) is “mediocre skating”. I also don’t quite get how his team run has anything to do with his hype? Many people, myself included have had him ranked in the top five for a while, way before his tournament run and even before he stormed past Levshunov production wise.

Did you happen to watch his play at the WJC? He was really dominating exits and entries, facilitating offense and also playing solid defense against older guys. It really changed my perspective of him.
Some of the things I took away were :

- At times, attempts to generate offense from the perimeter 5v5 to avoid contact, especially off the rush.

- When he does cut to middle of the ice the rush, it will be risky to do the same at the next level, especially with his head down at times, he's going to get absolutely rocked at some point.

- There are times he has trouble in tight and battles against the boards. I'm not sure he will do well with less time and space in tight at the next level, especially given his size. His defense is good, but not top 5 good, in my opinion.

- Don't get me wrong, he can run a PP. However, walking the line and evading from attackers at the NHL level is a different beast and I don't see his skating abilities separating himself enough at the next level to enable the way he tends to unfold his offense. He could surely get a lot of points on the PP at the next level.

- There is far less time and space at the next level and between his offensive tendencies/skating abilities/undersized, I'm not sure it will be able to do the same thing he is doing in college at the next level. I see a lot of Derrick Pouliot in his game. It's hard to see him as a legit, #1 D man leading a rush when it's hard to iron out some of the clunky, off balanced strides, forward crossovers, and forward to back pivots. That really inhibits him from generating a lot of power. That is also an indicator to his center of gravity, then combine with his slighter frame, and now imagine how it would combat against say, Tom Wilson/Matt Rempe/Etc coming full speed on the forecheck trying to take his head off.

I'm not saying he's a bust, he surely has top 4 upside, but I see more of a #4-6 Dman who can run a PP when not injured. I wouldn't bite with a top pick, but time will tell and that's the fun of it, right!

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018

I can also cite some instances where I'm not a fan of some of his drop passes/no look passes and how it will translate.

I also watched him at the WJC and his entries/exits were quite good, (mostly watching Gauthier, though). It's against older talent that he will shy away at times that gets me a bit worried. Perhaps i'm being too harsh on my ranking and he should be closer tier 5, but there were just some small things I noticed during some Denver games and even at times in the WJC. He also got put in a terrific spot on that team to display offense and which was a great opportunity to climb the draft ranks.

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
I appreciate the take but disagree mostly.

Kiviharju as a first rounder seems very unlikely. This is the most egregious and an explanation is required.

Lindström, I am not as high as some others but yeah, your take is rough. I look at Lindstrom's skating vs Parascak's and think which one seems more impressive, I have no doubt it's Lindstrom, but he has the injury question mark.

Catton too, I do not like him #3 good, like quite a bit seem to. But he is one of the best forwards no question. Right there after Celebrini and Demidov, with Helenius, Iginla, Lindstrom, Greentree maybe. He can run a teams offense convincingly but how will he adjust as to me, he does have to add quickness, tenacity or outsmart at the next level.

Buium overhyped? I don't know. Seems appropriately hyped, he does a lot of things at high level, and he isn't tiny. If he was any bigger he would be the clearly best defenseman. Now it's a debate, and definitely not in the teens to me.
A lot of Kiviharju dropping in ranks was because he got overhyped way too early and had insane expectations. He still played in the mens league for a few games this year, scored a lot in U20s last year plus 23 games as D-1 , is very sturdy on his skates for his size, smooth skating, and is very creative, high IQ. The knee surgery shouldn't be a concerning one, either. He also scored at a way higher pace this year in mens league and I would bet he tears it up next year. I could see him going in the end of the 1st/early 2nd and having a Raty like D+1-2 for a Dman

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
A lot of Kiviharju dropping in ranks was because he got overhyped way too early and had insane expectations. He still played in the mens league for a few games this year, scored a lot in U20s last year plus 23 games as D-1 , is very sturdy on his skates for his size, smooth skating, and is very creative, high IQ. The knee surgery shouldn't be a concerning one, either.

He also switched teams due to likely disagreements with his head coach or management. He failed to secure a roster spot despite being given opportunities as the puck moving partner in Liiga. Character, compete or ability?

His speed was noticeably bad in Liiga, he would not be able to recover any pucks as he couldn't handle the forecheck or be fast enough to escape the pressure. He could not skate the puck because he often got backchecked and stripped, and that's despite his great instincts. He had a single move to fade pressure where would cut right in front of the boards for 2 or 3 times and that almost got him boarded so many times I'm suprised he never got hurt. He is a great passer, has great vision and yes he is sturdy for his size but his size, speed and limited reach are issues.

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
He also switched teams due to likely disagreements with his head coach or management. He failed to secure a roster spot despite being given opportunities as the puck moving partner in Liiga. Character, compete or ability?

His speed was noticeably bad in Liiga, he would not be able to recover any pucks as he couldn't handle the forecheck or be fast enough to escape the pressure. He could not skate the puck because he often got backchecked and stripped, and that's despite his great instincts. He had a single move to fade pressure where would cut right in front of the boards for 2 or 3 times and that almost got him boarded so many times I'm suprised he never got hurt. He is a great passer, has great vision and yes he is sturdy for his size but his size, speed and limited reach are issues.
I would imagine the pressure of performing at the level people expected of him and being touted as such a high profile prospect at a young age. I believe the team change was good for him and he went to an organization that has a proven track record producing nhl talent in recent memory.

I agree reach issues may limit his 1 on 1 ability but he is still good at striping the puck/using size to advantage. His speed is average, should get stronger, and is polished. Looked like there were times this year he was becoming more poised on the breakout before the injury also. He is very patient at times off the rush and executes these brilliant passes challenging defenders off the rush. That move where he evades facing the boards has also gotten him rocked, which, is a concern. I see a lot of Sam Girard in his game if he get up to speed next year/stay healthy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Inflated height/played with 05s most of time

The height was certainly inflated when he was listed at 6'2 for most of the year, but 6'0 looks right to me, give or take an inch. Given his strong build I think it's an acceptable height.

This year Buium played with 05s, 04s, 03s, 02s, etc... all older than him. He was the youngest player on the ice every game except for the BU game vs Celebrini, who he matched up well against. He was the best player on the ice in the championship game vs the BC stars, all of whom are older than him.

I don't know why playing with 05s would be a bad thing. That's just him outperforming older players.

Lindstroms skating is God awful. I would not touch that with a top pick.

Lindstrom can skate crazy fast for a player his size. That technique won't matter if opponents can't catch him.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I would imagine the pressure of performing at the level people expected of him and being touted as such a high profile prospect at a young age. I believe the team change was good for him and he went to an organization that has a proven track record producing nhl talent in recent memory.

I agree reach issues may limit his 1 on 1 ability but he is still good at striping the puck/using size to advantage. His speed is average, should get stronger, and is polished. Looked like there were times this year he was becoming more poised on the breakout before the injury also. He is very patient at times off the rush and executes these brilliant passes challenging defenders off the rush. That move where he evades facing the boards has also gotten him rocked, which, is a concern. I see a lot of Sam Girard in his game if he get up to speed next year/stay healthy
The team change was inexplicable, and despite what you describe, TPS produced more NHL contracts and picks than HIFK recently. It is due to TPS adapting to their financial situation and opting to give younger players larger roles in comparison to more stable teams who get the proven players. Nevertheless, it is a moot point as that was never the purpose of the move.

You seem to be banking on him improving a lot still, which is fine. I think with the way he has developed for the last two years now, where frankly the improvements have made too little on ice impact, is worrisome.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So far how I would rank the top 42, would love to discuss!

Tier One
Franchise talent, potential swiss army knife 1C.
1 - M Celebrini

Tier Two
All potential # 1D.
2 - C Yakemchuk
3 - Z Parekh
4 - A Levshunov
5 - S Dickinson

Tier Three
All have played and excelled against men and possess elite potential, however hold some more question marks than the above. ie) Demidov and Russia Situation, Silayev and offensive ceiling, Helenius size translating to next level as a center.

6 - A Silayev
7 - I Demidov
8 - K Helenius

Tier Four
While this tier does have some serious upside, I can see them panning out all as really reliable role players that chip in offensively.

9 - L Greentree
10 - T Iginla
11- M Bransesgg Nygard
12 - Lucas Peterson
13 - D Letourneau

Tier Five
All have elite potential, however I do not feel as confident with this group reaching their ceiling as the above. Boom or bust range, if you will.

14 - A Kiviharju
15 - M Gridin
16 - B Catton
17 - C Eiserman
18 - T ParascaK

Tier Six
All have top 6/top 4/1G potential if developed correctly.
19 - E Hemming
20 - E Chernyshov
21 - A Jiricek

22 - C Lindstrom
23 - T Connelly
24 - C Elick
25 - C Beaudoin
26 - M Hage
27 - S Boisvert
28 - T Adams
29 - N Artamonov
30 - Emery
31 - B Sennecke

32 - Z Buuim
33 - J Fisher
34 - J Bodin
35 - B Danford
36 - P Blais- Savoie
37 - J Connor
38 - A Boija
39 - M Fernstrom
40 - V Gustafsson
42 - R Badinka

HM (Looked good from viewings, need to see more, though.)
O Allard
J Luchanko
P Alcos
L Ashton
O Becher
A Belusko
A Jecho
Becher is a redraft.. you probably have him too high (not for me, I'd have him in round 1 but I have a bias.lol).

Reactions: LeBrun is a Clown

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
Becher is a redraft.. you probably have him too high (not for me, I'd have him in round 1 but I have a bias.lol).
There are still lots of players I plan on watching but Somewhere in the 2nd seems reasonable. I like his upside, his offensive talents are intriguing and seems to produce where ever he goes. If he gets a bit taller and continues to produce/come to NA, he could be a player. Defense needs work but surely can be fine tuned and up to speed for pro in NA.

Reactions: Czechboy

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
The height was certainly inflated when he was listed at 6'2 for most of the year, but 6'0 looks right to me, give or take an inch. Given his strong build I think it's an acceptable height.

This year Buium played with 05s, 04s, 03s, 02s, etc... all older than him. He was the youngest player on the ice every game except for the BU game vs Celebrini, who he matched up well against. He was the best player on the ice in the championship game vs the BC stars, all of whom are older than him.

I don't know why playing with 05s would be a bad thing. That's just him outperforming older players.

Lindstrom can skate crazy fast for a player his size. That technique won't matter if opponents can't catch him.

All I am saying is his current season should be viewed as more of a D+1 since his development throughout youth was with 05s and not 06s. Has been developed as the same pace as people in the 23 draft.

Yes, Lindstrom’s speed is alright but technique is far from polished and he doesn’t really have a low center of gravity. He is physically superior for his age which is why opponents can’t catch him…. Right now, in juniors.

It’s not like he has super speed that will separate himself from NHL talent, it is below average compared to the whole spectrum of NHL skaters. Sometimes when he is in attempt to generate speed off a zone entry, I genuinely cringe because it’s really hard to watch.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It’s a wild take but a lot of guys will surely miss so who knows. I will say, Buium is one of the last guys I see busting though. Just with his brain and skating combination alone he’s gonna a top 4 defensman which goes in the first round all day. There’s so much upside for more too.

Reactions: 57special

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, Lindstrom’s speed is alright but technique is far from polished and he doesn’t really have a low center of gravity. He is physically superior for his age which is why opponents can’t catch him…. Right now, in juniors.

He's going to be bigger, faster, and stronger than his opponents, in every league in the world.

It’s not like he has super speed that will separate himself from NHL talent, it is below average compared to the whole spectrum of NHL skaters. Sometimes when he is in attempt to generate speed off a zone entry, I genuinely cringe because it’s really hard to watch.

Lindstrom is absolutely capable of reaching high end speed, you must be thinking of examples where's not at his top speed.

All I am saying is his current season should be viewed as more of a D+1 since his development throughout youth was with 05s and not 06s. Has been developed as the same pace as people in the 23 draft.

I know the theory but I think it's a bad one. If Buium is as developed as those older 05s it is because he has that intrinsic ability, in other words because he is naturally smarter and physically prepared so he can beat older players. Playing in higher leagues doesn't necessarily make a player develop faster, it can actually have the opposite effect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad